Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Happy Laughing Remember the Stephen King Movie "Maximum Overdrive" ?

It's a classic camp fest B horror movie, and It's one of my faves. I LOVED it as a kid... Can you imagine if they redid it NOW, what they could pull off? *Computer Graphics Effects would be awesome!* You could do all the trucks and cars as 3D Models, and save some $$...

That reminds me of another lesser known VERY B horror movie called "Night of the Comet"... When I was little, It'd always mimic "Hello shoppers, its time do DIE TODAY!" So silly.

What was your favorite B movie?
(I'm merging the TV/Movie forum to this one, so post away)

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: Remember the Stephen King Movie "Maximum Overdrive" ?

Sory Z I don't remember it at all. I am one of the few people on earth who run from anything Stephan king does. Is it a bit like that movie 'Dual' with Dennis weaver?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Mystery to me, did it even get a UK release? Checking head for favourite b-movies - how are we even defining these as b-releases?

The only one that sticks in my head is The Hunchback Hairball of L.A. (released in the US as Big Man On Campus) - that film was so dumb, but made me laugh a lot at the time - almost tempted to watch it again to see if I react the same. Still not sure if it counts as a b-movie as I can't find budget figures for it...but it was low.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, it was about a red car IIRC. B-movie is the key here though, my video store had it but not all did. Was available in Ireland so I imagine UK has it. It was'nt as popular as "It" or "The Shining" so was prolly overshadowed you see. IMO Maximinum Overdrive was great. I think I will go look for it on ebay.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Sorry. Never heard of "Maximum Overdrive" let alone seen it.

But then if it's based on something by Stephen King I probably never bothered very hard.

My own favourite "Bs" in the Horror/Fantasy/SF areas would have to be Roger Corman's "Masque of the Red Death" and John Carpenter's "Dark Star".

I had better not get started on how good Carpenter's other stuff is or whether classic low budget films like "The Maltese Falcon" are truly B movies otherwise this could turn into a long post.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It was one of those "what if machines turned on us" movies. I recall it was a little corny, but for some reason I really liked it. I dunno if the main character had a red car that went nuts on him or something, but I remember a red vehicle for some reason.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
sokolkeep
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I remember Maximum Overdrive. It was pretty good. Had a great soundtrack. AC/DC did the whole soundtrack. + The song Who Made Who was made specifically for the movie.

+ It had Emilio Esteves in it. Not the best film. But it was worth watching once.

Oh yeah and the best part was seeing the ice cream truck with blood all over the front of it.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

A red car? Are you sure you're not confusing MO with "Christine", where the high school nerd buys an evil car?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I remember Maximum Overdrive... trucks taking over.

My favorite campy movie was Toxic Avenger... the nerd who falls in a bucket of toxic sludge and becomes a superhero... of sorts. The first movie from Troma Films... "Troma", pronounced like "Trauma"... I think...

They even made a couple of sequels, but they couldn't be as good/bad as the original.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: Remember the Stephen King Movie "Maximum Overdrive" ?

The movie Duel was also great--It had hardly ANY vocals to the movie--which made it feel even more lonely for Dennis Weaver!

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(film)

Duel was also Stephen Spielberg's first movie! The camera angles were amazing, and the story simple. He totally captured the isolated feeling of the Desert roads, and being chased was done REALLY well.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote