Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 08:15 PM   #31
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I've always lived in places that had good tap water, so I've mostly laughed about people paying for it by the bottle. Also, my brother works for an engineering firm that designs water treatment plants and he told me some of these smaller labels lease old wells that cities have stopped using because they no longer meet the limits for max bacteria levels. Apparently cities have a stricter standard than private distributors.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #32
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well I see what you are saying VulcanRider. I mean these bottled water companies try to make it look like their water is from some clear lovely lake, or glacier LOL, or mountain, etc. etc. When in reality it is a tap. I myself only drink Deer Park, as it just has no chemical taste at all and is refreshing to me, I don't really care where it comes from, I'm sure it's probably not from a park LOL. Last year I tried a Disani, and ewww that stuff is blatantly obvious tap, you can smell and taste chemicals in it. Either way, for me, if I can't taste chemicals and it seems refreshing to me I'm happy.

Oh and one more thing I did not mention about my tap water, here at home. They put some chemical in it besides chlorine, might be chloramines. Either way, cleaning the tub and shower is something I have to do way more often than I ever have before anywhere else. As the water residue, even the steam, leaves a RED residue. Red man. RED! WTF is that? All I know is I ain't keen on drinking it LOL. So that is where I'm coming from re drinking water where I live LOL.

And lastly, the best water I've ever had in my life comes from Skyline Drive in Virginia, they have water fountains along the rocks where you can tap into the water straight on, it tastes divine. Actually has a taste, but it is really good and refreshing, nothing like it. When I was growing up my parents always visited Skyline Drive and we'd fill up water jugs to take home. Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, it's been too long since I had that water, have to tell my mom next time they go up to get me a gallon or two! It is really wonderful water, so clean and pure and straight from the mountain rocks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #33
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Dasani water is 10x better than my water, LZ. I wish I could have it every day. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Red residue? Too much iron maybe?
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:13 PM   #34
Ladyzekke

I dunno Sir Goulum, I think it's a chemical they put in the water. I've seen copper do a similar thing, but it was of a different hue, i.e., copper colored and not frikken red.

Well if your water sucks and you like Disani, then go for it. I mean I'd drink it before I'd drink my tap water, but there are other brands that taste better than Disani, not only Deer Park, I think Poland Springs is also another good one (although again, I'm sure its not from Poland, nor a spring LOL). Just saying, doesn't taste bad at all.

Oh and I'm also a huge fan of the Glacieu Vitamin Waters. Not because I think they are healthy or good for me, but because I like the watered down tastes, a refreshing change from the over-fruity drinks like Schnapple, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #35
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Could be. Pretty odd chemical to leave a reddish residue. The bad thing with the bottled water here is it's so expensive! $1.25 - $1.50 for 600 mL of filtered tap water. I'm betting I'd save hundreds if me or my parents got one of those filters that go right on your tap. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #36
Ladyzekke

Oh yes the filters that go on your tap save you lots of money, especially if you get one of those really good filters that filter out things like, cryptosporidum, etc.. Either way, in the end it is probably worth the purchase. I used the Britta water pitcher thingy years ago, but I drink a LOT of water LOL, so got tired of having to buy more carbon filters, and I didn't find the water "refreshing" enough with the Britta filters (which are just carbon and take out chlorine mostly, I have the same filters on my fish tank). No doubt carbon is a great filtration media, but it won't take out bacteria.

One of these days I might as well get a good filtration mechanism attached to my tap, when I'm ready to spend a few hundred dollars on it LOL. It's expensive, but again, for me it'd probably pay itself off in a year or two vs. bottled water prices.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #37
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Or even one of those jugs that have the filter in it, and you can put it in your fridge so it's always cold. It's fine in the summer, because I can guzzle the Iced Tea, but with either one of those filters, I'd be drinking a lot more water than I do right now.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:36 PM   #38
Ladyzekke

Yeah the Britta I mentioned above is one of those Sir Goulum, and nah, they are OK, but not enough to keep me away from bottled water LOL. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #39
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Salinye:
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Did you know that technically you're not supposed to reuse the water bottles you buy? The plastic is not made for long term use and breaks down and gets bacteria in it that can't be cleaned out. It can give you bochelism (or however you spell it). Now, I'm not saying don't do it, just giving you the FYI. I'm sure many of you are thinking "Pfft, I've done it for years and haven't died yet!" But remember I told you! :0)

REI sells water bottles (minus the water) that are made for long term use.

~Salinye
Botulism is an anaerobic bacterium, it cannot survive in an oxygented enviroment.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #40
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well I see what you are saying VulcanRider. I mean these bottled water companies try to make it look like their water is from some clear lovely lake, or glacier LOL, or mountain, etc. etc. When in reality it is a tap. I myself only drink Deer Park, as it just has no chemical taste at all and is refreshing to me, I don't really care where it comes from, I'm sure it's probably not from a park LOL. Last year I tried a Disani, and ewww that stuff is blatantly obvious tap, you can smell and taste chemicals in it. Either way, for me, if I can't taste chemicals and it seems refreshing to me I'm happy.

Oh and one more thing I did not mention about my tap water, here at home. They put some chemical in it besides chlorine, might be chloramines. Either way, cleaning the tub and shower is something I have to do way more often than I ever have before anywhere else. As the water residue, even the steam, leaves a RED residue. Red man. RED! WTF is that? All I know is I ain't keen on drinking it LOL. So that is where I'm coming from re drinking water where I live LOL.

And lastly, the best water I've ever had in my life comes from Skyline Drive in Virginia, they have water fountains along the rocks where you can tap into the water straight on, it tastes divine. Actually has a taste, but it is really good and refreshing, nothing like it. When I was growing up my parents always visited Skyline Drive and we'd fill up water jugs to take home. Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, it's been too long since I had that water, have to tell my mom next time they go up to get me a gallon or two! It is really wonderful water, so clean and pure and straight from the mountain rocks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Do you live in Northern Virgina LZ, because the tap water in the D.C. metropolitan area goes through through tons of treatment, so it tastes great. Just a little lukewarm.

Edit: sig test.

[ 05-20-2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Dalamar Stormcrow ]
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote