Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 01:28 AM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, the last proved a total calamity. Partly for my procrastinating and also considering I make a poor BSer, I was doomed to be the only one of four to seem like a total jackass. I spent hours preparing a debate for what seemed my partner, that I totally ignored the fact that I should have prepared myself beforehand; turns out he came ready and able. Alright, that's enough bashing on my part, here's the next topic for Friday:

Was the Great Awakening a Key to the American Revolution?
Our standing: no

What I believe it to be is that the Great Awakening, or religious revivals, were not the major role leading up to the war of independence between Britain and its colonies. IMHO the taxes and tariffs imposed by the British Parliament led to the revolts, and sponsored the push for war through countless considerations (virtual representation being one off the top of my head).

I would appreciate any help in the subject, and I'm hoping to have this ready by Wednesday. I'm in the homework slums as of right now, but I'm hoping to pull myself out by the end of the week.

Also, here are some links I have already found useful:
http://www.nhc.rtp.nc.us:8080/tserve...o/grawaken.htm
http://www.nhc.rtp.nc.us:8080/tserve...fo/erelrev.htm

Thanx guys, you will never know how much this kind of help means to me. I really appreciate it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Thought I'd rephrase the title to make it more understandable.

[ 12-02-2002, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]
Old 12-02-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

BUMP
Please, please, please, please, please. Can anyone help me? Please?
Old 12-02-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Well, I have no idea what the great revival is, but the main cause was clearly taxes. With a rich, unexploited continent, the pioneers wished to capitalize on its wealth. As the British taxed the colonists more and more heavily, it became more and more difficult to make ends meet. Eventually, the tariffs grew too great, and the Americans seeked to create their own, less harsh government.

I think...
Old 12-02-2002, 07:38 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Here is a link:http://search.aolsvc.worldbook.aol.c...at%20Awakening

"

for Great Awakening
Articles & Study Aids

Web Sites

Great Awakening is the name given to a series of religious revivals in the American Colonies during the mid-1700's. The movements began in the Middle Colonies in the 1730's and spread to New England and to some areas of the South. Leaders of the Great Awakening included Jonathan Edwards, a Congregational pastor in Massachusetts; Theodore J. Frelinghuysen, a Dutch Reformed pastor in New Jersey; Gilbert Tennent, a Presbyterian pastor in New Jersey; and George Whitefield, a traveling Methodist preacher from England.

The Great Awakening had a strong influence on American religious life. It produced a new, excited form of preaching. The structure of worship services changed to permit increased participation by the laity. Elements of revivalism also became widely accepted as a means of converting people to a particular church. Revivalism emphasizes individual religious experience rather than the doctrines of a specific church. The issue of personal experience divided many congregations and denominations. Supporters insisted that such an experience was necessary as a test of membership in a church. Opponents declared that a person could belong to a church without having such an experience.

How to cite this article:
To cite this article in a footnote, World Book recommends the following format:Charles H. Lippy, "Great Awakening," World Book Online Americas Edition,
http://www.aolsvc.worldbook.aol.com/.../ar233880.htm, December 2, 2002.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:55 PM   #5
MagiK

I do believe that the primary issues that pushed things along were the British Navigation Acts and the Stamp Act. These taxation issues and commerce issues really ignited the whole thing. Britain needed the revenues for its wars with France, and earlier with the Dutch.....that was the early focus of this semesters history class for me

Old 12-02-2002, 11:03 PM   #6
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

While the Great Awakening wasn't a Cause of the Revolutionary War it was one of the things which made it possible. The American colonies all had strong religious feelings which bound them together as a society. Being a British "possesion" the Church of England had the major moral/religious voice in America. A major influence within the Church of England were the Methodist society's which were led by John Wesley. John Wesley when contacted by Methodist in the colonies finally decided that if the colonies did separate from England that the Methodist Socieities would have ordained clergy and would form a new church, separate from the Church of England. These Methodist societies and their circuit riders were the major source of religious services and instruction in the frontier areas of the colonies as well as being strong in the established and "civilized" areas. With this assurance of "God's" support and continuity of their religious life a major stumbling block to freedom from England was overcome.

I don't have the books to cite for this. Some of it is found in Attenboroughs History of the US. Other sources would be biographies of John Wesley and of the early circuit riders.