Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Lark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Warning: This post contains stinky cheese.

I wanted to post this text a while ago, but at this time I was waiting for the admission to this forum, so I posted it in another forum first. I haven't found mentioned anything about this particular kind of cheese in the BGII community, so I think it is ideed unknown and might be of interest to the community, at least to those that like cheese. So I want to share it with you, too. Please enjoy.

++++

All items that you can cast spells with can be divided into two categories:
1) These items let you aim the spell at the ground (eg: wand of fear, the fireball function of the wand of fire, wand of summoning, the harp of discord, scrolls of hold monster) They don't let you target items.
2) These items don't let you target the ground (eg: wand of paralyse, the agannazars scorcher function of the wand of fire, wand of lightning, the fireball function of the book of infinite spells, azlaers harp, scrolls of hold person) They do let you target items.

Items of category 1 are well and fine. Items of category 2 show interesting capabilities if you target items with them:

I) They ignore the line of sight requirement, ie you can shoot through walls.

Let me give an example: Enter a dungeon. Scout ahead with farsight. Make out the bad guys in the next room gathering around a chest. Fire your wand of lightning at the chest, the spell will pass through the wall. Once the lightning bolts have passed the wall and reached their destiny they will behave like ordinary lightning bolts and proceed to bounce of the walls, frying everything that happens to be in their path.
Most of the items of the second category will fire spells that will affect only a single target, which is of not much use. Who cares to paralyze chests or to polymorph some leftover loot. Some spells will however, although aimed at a single target, affect an area, like the lightning from the above example.

However, there are exeptions: Cone effects are stopped by obstacles. Though you can for example fire your Wand of Frost or Scroll of Prismatic Spray at an item in the next room, the effect will not pass the wall.
Moreover some spell items behave unexpectedly. The spell Hold Monster can be aimed only at a single target, the scroll of the same spell on the other hand can be fired at the ground. The deathspell works the other way round, it can be targeted at the ground, the scroll of the same spell cannot, and thus be cast at an item in the next room (and killing everything that is subjected to its effect).

II) Items that are supposed to have a random effect change to a fixed and much more powerful form.

There are to spell items that cast spells at random: The wand of the apprenti and the wand of wonder. The Wand of the Apprenti is supposed to fire either a fireball or a cone of cold or a lightning bolt. If you target an item, you will get a fireball AND a cone of cold AND a lightning bolt instead.

The Wand of Wonder is even more impressive: Instead of a random (and often useless) result, you get the combination of a fireball PLUS a lightning bolt PLUS a stinking cloud PLUS a web, cast in rapid succession. You could hurl a volley of spells at your opponents by pointing the wand at the loot of the first casulties in a skirmish. Since the Wand of Wonder moreover has an impressive reach you can easily combine point I) and point II) for truly amazing results.

++++

Items that can be (ab)used, to shoot spells through walls:

Scrolls:

Agannazars Scorcher
Glitterdust
Knock (you could unlock chests in another room , for what it's worth)
Remove Fear
---
Hold Person
Hold Undead
Lightning Bolt
Remove Fear
Remove Magic
Slow
---
Confusion
Greater Malison
Hold Monster WILL NOT WORK (surprisingly)
---
Chain Lightning
Death Spell
---
Charm Undead
---
Word of Power:Blind

I haven't included spells, that affect no area, except Knock.
I haven't included spells that produce cones, since the effect won't pass walls (although they can be fired at items in in the next room).
---

Wands:
Wand of Fire - Agannazars Scorcher
Wand of Lightning - Lightning Bolt
Wand of Wonder - Fireball+Lightning Bolt+Stinking Cloud+Web
Wand of the Apprenti - Fireball+Cone of Cold+Lightning Bolt
---
Staffs:
Staff of Power - paralytic Lightning Bolt
Staff of the Magi - Lightning Bolt+Fireball
Staff of Thunder and Lightning - Lightning Bolt; Call Lightning (works indoors!)
---
Armour:
Skull of Death - Death Spell
---
Weapons:
Carsomyr - Dispel Magic
Celestial Fury - Lightning Bolt
Purifier - Dispel Magic
---
Misc:
Azlaers Harp - Remove Fear
Book of infinite Spells - Fireball; Stinking Cloud; Lightning Bolt

++++

I hope you found this post informative. Comments and opinions are welcome.

Lark

[ 11-16-2006, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Lark ]
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

gosh - nice work there
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

And for those of you who missed it, Lark's first post can be found here