Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #11
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Default Re: Possible Improvements

Can you start a specific starting XP point level instead, or different levels for different classes (or multi-class combinations)?

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
manikus
Jack Burton

Yes and no. Yes, if you provide pre-made characters or a saved game, no if you use global settings b/c it gives you the option to set experience points only, which it some levels (lower) may actually do the same thing..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
Shadow Stranger

I am currently decrypting the FRUA save files. I got a surprise when I looked in the folder: CSV files! (They are usually Microsoft Excel files, so you see the Excel icon in the save game folder. I don't know why SSI chose a "csv" extension for these files.)

Anyway, instead of 13 individual "dat", "sav" and "stf" files and up to 6 "sfx" files you have just one "csv" file. So where do the individual PC records start? This is hard to tell, fortunately the "cch" files are one per PC. When you create a PC the details are recorded in a "cch" file, which is never altered.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
manikus
Jack Burton

You need to go to the Rosedragon repository and look through the stuff there. As there are multiple PC editors for FRUA, including trainers, I am sure that you will be able to find the notes for decrypting the save file.

Let me find the address in case you don't have it...
http://frua.rosedragon.org/index.htm

In computing, "csv" usually refers to "comma separated values/variables". I don't know about MS Excel using this as a file extension, but this is one of the oldest type of data file formats going back to the first mail merge files on Unix machines. But, it might also provide a hint as to the sturcture of the file - what that means after it's been encrypted is beyond me to say, but it might help an expert like you.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
Shadow Stranger

Another possible improvement is the inclusion of an in-game journal that lists key messages and conversations. This would be something that you can access like the spell memorization screen. Most games have this, especially these days.
Currently you can use screen capture to record screenshots of key information, apart from that there is only pen and paper.

I ported Heirs of Skull Crag to the DC world. There are still a few glitches, like starting equipment and wall graphics being used for doors.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
manikus
Jack Burton

There is already a journal function in Dungeon Craft.

The designer decides what events are significant enough to be added, but the player may add her own notes as well.

As for importing FRUA into DC, I assume you've read the help section on this? You must use the FRUA converted graphics which are numbered correspondingly with the walls, backdrops, etc of unhacked FRUA. DC is not importing any of the art, just which slot to use. All of the FRUA-converted art is available through Rosedragon (linked above).
Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
Shadow Stranger

I did not notice the interface to a journal anywhere while playing the actual game.
Yes, I have art you mentioned. Import Heirs to Skull Crag yourself and you will find a few oddities like FRUA backdrops 1,2,3,4 being numbered 15,17,20...
I notice that the program copies default art to the design folder for no obvious reason. It would be simple for the program to load default art from the usual default folder, at least some comparable games use this arrangement.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
manikus
Jack Burton

The journal has to be turned on by the designer for it to be active in a design.

As for the art - the import into a new design depends on a couple of factors, including how the art is named and which design is open when the new one is created.
DC follows FRUA's general model for this with the two additional features mentioned above.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
Shadow Stranger

I have fixed up all the door and wall graphics in the first town of Heirs of Skull Crag, it looks good. I will see if I can speed this up by drawing up a translation table of FRUA walls = DC walls + DC doors.
Is there any way to minimize the redundant importing of default art into a design folder? It serves no useful purpose whatsoever. The game should be able to load art directly from the default folder.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #20
manikus
Jack Burton

There is no automated way.

Personally, I keep very little in my DefaultArt folder, just the art that comes with the DC download. I keep all the rest in another folder. This takes a bit longer in the design process, in that if I want to use a wall, I have to import it, but this way I only end up with the art I want in my design folder.

I believe CocoaSpud coded it this way b/c initally there were only four or five walls and two doors being used. There wern't that many non-Official walls available either, so I guess he assumed that we would always be using the default art.