Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 11:18 PM   #1
EdMan218
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i gotta few ?'s bout a few of the classes........

1. do rangers and paladins get cleric spells? when?
2. why do ppl say dwarf fighter/cleric is so good?
3. why would u want a sorceror when u can have a mage?
4. how much AC does monk start wit? the kit discription says 9 original, a friend said his started wit 2. i checked mine....i was 8 lvls higher and had 4 more AC, that means i started wit 2 too. help!?
5. how does bard song work? i tried it and sometimes my ppl get the bonus and sometimes they dont.huh?
6. the wild magic thing....i tried it.....and jus about every time...something bad happened to my character...ppl say its powerful, maybe im not using it right, any ideas?

thx alot
Old 06-05-2001, 11:49 PM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I can only answer a few of your questions. Perhaps someone else will fill in the rest.

1. Rangers and paladins do get cleric spells - check the appendices in the manual for a listing of when they start getting cleric abilities (iirc, Minsc started getting cleric spell slots at lvl 7 or 8).
2. No idea.
3. Ditto.
4. No idea about the monk's starting AC, but the lower the number the better. An AC of 10 is the worst you can get, AC 2 is pertty decent. BTW, the starting AC is affected by bonuses due to high stats (DEX, I think) and maybe a couple of other factors.
5. No idea.
6. I'm not sure about the wild magic thing, but from what I've read wild magic is supposed to be unpredictable.

Hope this helps.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 06-05-2001, 11:57 PM   #3
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Ok Paladins get priest spells starting at level 9. These tables should be in the back of your Game Manual. At level 17, A paladin has 3 1st level spells, 3 2nd level, 3 3rd level, 1 4th level.

Rangers get their spells at level 8. I believe at level 16 rangers have 3 1st level, 3 2nd level, 3 3rd level. (actually in D&D rangers get mage spells).

A Dwarf fighter/cleric is strong because they can be a normally stronger than normal fighting cleric. They would be a full cleric with greater than normal hitpoints, better chances to hit, and greater weapon specialization. Dwarves also can get up to 19 CON to start, which adds HP per level with their fighter. Your Dwarf can go into combat with Grandmaster Warhammer melee, 2 handed style, backed by turning, healing, fighting enhancing spells (holy might, bless, etc).
Basically a Dwarf Fighter/cleric is a suped up cleric.

A sorcerer is about the same as a mage, just a tad different in style. You don't have to memorize spells, etc. You don't get as many spells per level, but you don't need to find scrolls to learn them. Actually In BG2 being a mage is better because you actually earn EXP for inscribing scrolls.

A Monk AC, don't know off hand. They can get down to about -4 or -5 natural AC at level 21 I think. It probably AC 6 to start, and a drop of one AC every 2 levels.

Never played a bard, so don't know how that works.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:00 AM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I'll just get the once Hayashi did not cover:
2. I don't play drawf, but drawf in theory are suppose to be good with hammers.
3. The concept is something different, although limited.
5. You have to be within the radius of the bard for the bard songs' effect to work.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 06-06-2001, 12:03 AM   #5
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Also, If the monk character goes along the line of D&D, high Dex, high strength, high Constitution doesn't affect the monks stats. Monks have a linear stat scores of number of attacks, damage, etc. Higher strength doesn't make the monk do more damage, if a monk does 1-12 damage, having 24 strength doesn't add on damage. Having a very high Dex score doesn't lower AC any, a Monks AC is based on their level, not their Dex.
I haven't played a Baldur's gate monk, but im pretty sure its along the same lines. The higher abilities will affect other areas (greater strength is greater carry, greater dex is better chance to hit with missile weapons, etc. But a Dex of 18 doesn't give a Monk better AC than a monk with 8 Dex.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:12 AM   #6
Rikard

2. Itá Also part of Role Playing
The best weapon a Fighter/Cleric can get is a Hammer
And Dwarves are assosiated with Hammers and Axes

3. Try a Sorcerer.
If you know what spells to use, A Sorcerer is the powerful class you get get

------------------
Now Imagine this Signature Only in Red. That's the way suppost to be

The Last Of the Red Fluffies

Member of the Ancients Club (@ age 16 )
High Magician of the Order of the Holy Flame

"Dream a Dreamers Dream And Know It Is But A Dream"
</font>

Old 06-06-2001, 02:24 AM   #7
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

Regarding the moonk...

Monks get a natural armor class bonus of 1 when they start at level 1. Provided a monk has no additional bonuses, their starting AC will be 9.

Furthermore, if the monk (or any other character) has a high dexterity, their AC is improved by as much as 4. Here is how it works:

18 dex = 4 bonus AC
17 dex = 3 bonus AC
16 dex = 2 bonus AC
15 dex = 1 bonus AC
14 dex = 0 bonus AC

The monk's armor class bonus improves as they increase in level. Since BG2 characters start around level 7, they probably begin the game with 3 bonus AC. I believe (but not 100% sure off the top of my head) that monks gain additional AC bonuses at the rate of 1 for every 2 levels. This would mean your monk, who is 8 levels higher than your friend's would have 4 additional bonus points to your AC.

Here is how your friend would start with an AC of 2.
9 AC for starting as a monk
4 AC for having 18 dexterity
3 AC bonus points for being level 7
= 2 AC

As far as the bard song goes, if the bard is playing the song, your group will be affected by it. However, your bard cannot take other actions while playing the song, so if you have him do something else, he stops playing.

Old 06-06-2001, 02:26 AM   #8
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

Oh, one other thing about the bard...

When I said the bard could not take other actions and play his song, that is not completely accurate. The bard can walk around and such, but if you have him attack or cast a spell, the song stops.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:51 AM   #9
jabidas
Silver Dragon

sorcerers get more spells all you have to do is chose correctly

------------------
Old 06-06-2001, 12:20 PM   #10
EdMan218
Elite Waterdeep Guard

regarding the dwarf fighter cleric:
if u need the dwarf part for the hp and the proficiency...etc
y dont u use a half orc fighter cleric instead? wouldnt that give u more damage along wit the hp?