Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2001, 03:55 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil:
If we think that that's overkill, chek out this death blade!
put in the clua create item: killsw01 to get a blade that kills in ONE SHOT
does about 1000 damage. like cntrl y whitout the no exp gain. Even clerics and mages can use IT!
Gwyhanos, that blade is irrelevant as it is NOT a legit weapon. It is used to facilitate preventing your party from making a game-ending choice in BG2 and was used by the design team to debug the game. That's like comparing a Formula 1 car with a Ferrari F350.

Sure the weapons are overpowered, but you need to look at all this in context of what this game is about and what stage of the saga you are in. We're heading into uncharted territory here, with level 20+ characters. We're talking way beyond Drizzt levels here, more like Elminster/Khelben/etc. levels. Didn't you all hear what Volo said in the Tavern in Saradush?

Don't expect this to be a faithful reproduction of PnP; that's what PnP is for. It has to be playable as well as AD&D-compatible; a medium has to be reached. In fairness this is effectively the "third" game. If I was still at levels 8-10 and struggling to kill trolls three years after BG1 was released I'd be dead bored with it.

Just my 2c.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 04:30 AM   #12
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Also im pretty sure we have wiped the sword coast of all its lichs by now

------------------

BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 04:35 AM   #13
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Gwyhanos, that blade is irrelevant as it is NOT a legit weapon. It is used to facilitate preventing your party from making a game-ending choice in BG2 and was used by the design team to debug the game. That's like comparing a Formula 1 car with a Ferrari F350.

Sure the weapons are overpowered, but you need to look at all this in context of what this game is about and what stage of the saga you are in. We're heading into uncharted territory here, with level 20+ characters. We're talking way beyond Drizzt levels here, more like Elminster/Khelben/etc. levels. Didn't you all hear what Volo said in the Tavern in Saradush?

Don't expect this to be a faithful reproduction of PnP; that's what PnP is for. It has to be playable as well as AD&D-compatible; a medium has to be reached. In fairness this is effectively the "third" game. If I was still at levels 8-10 and struggling to kill trolls three years after BG1 was released I'd be dead bored with it.

Just my 2c.

I agree that we should receive some great equipment, but it is being dished out is such volume that finding a nice item loses its excitement.

minor spoiler:
For instance, I just finished a fight against a bunch of grunts, and left two dozen (easily) +3 items on the ground. Practically every merchant has hordes of +3 or better items for sale.
Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 09:45 AM   #14
Graccus
Dungeon Master

Where is all this stuff?! I just got to the point where I'm looking for Nyalee's items (trying not to put spoliers in), and I've seen 1 +4 Morningstar. Sure the merchants have +3 and even some +4 stuff, but I haven't run into the huge hoard that you have. Should I play Watcher's keep firat?

------------------
Windows Haiku:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.
Graccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 10:51 AM   #15
Pennance
The Magister

Its crazy, there are SO many good items its hard to choose what you want to use and what not to. I have 3 party members dual-wielding and there is still stuff in my inventory that's not being used. And talk about powerful weapons, my hero has a sword that with each hit lowers the targets AC by -2 and takes away 15% of their magic resistance, and Minsc has an Axe that has a 10% chance of killing the target as well as giving the wielder the ability to regenerate 1 HP/round. Its CRAZY!!!

But then again when you're fighting nothing but Bhaalspawns they come in REAL handy.
Pennance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 12:39 PM   #16
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

If there were like levels with Demo in the game, they must give u a good fighting chance. Other wise, every game would be paladin=carmyr=BORING!

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:
Old 06-25-2001, 12:40 PM   #17
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

We also have to assume that not everybody continued a game from BGII. They may have started with a new character and therefore do not have all the 'buff' weapons from before. I too think that the sheer # of +3/+4/+5....weapons is a bit much, but I can see why they are there.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 05:01 PM   #18
DeTRiTiC-iQ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nobody can defeat Drizzt!

*whisper*
some people beat him in BG and BG2?
*whisper*

Soooo lemme get this straight... Drizzt is the greatest swordsman in the realm, and takes a party of 5 to defeat a Balor demon in Passage to Dawn... yet a single lvl 17 fighter (only 2 levels above Drizzt) can defeat a Balor in a matter of seconds... either the books make enemies more powerful than they really are or Drizzt should be a much higher level in BG2

Oh i have no issues with +5, but +6...
DeTRiTiC-iQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 06:27 PM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimmick:

For instance, I just finished a fight against a bunch of grunts, and left two dozen (easily) +3 items on the ground. Practically every merchant has hordes of +3 or better items for sale.
You know these rich Tethyrian grunts...

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:35 PM   #20
Glycerine
Manshoon

Books have to make the battle interesting otherwise it would be pointless to read. How interesting would it be to have one 17th level fighter take on a demon and kill it by himself? Doesn't make for much flare or drama does it?

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote