Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2002, 07:55 AM   #51
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
ok so let me get this straight, so the Nerthlands HAS no government right now? Or is it just a country without leaders? Will they get new leaders? If so though what process and who will be chosen? Does anybody really know?!?! O_o i bet they didn't have a system for if EVERYBODY up and quits! That would be like every governmental employee in Washington resigning, or like all the members of the Diet in Japan commiting scuicide simultaneously...

0.o oye vay! I bet its absolute chaos right now! I have Dutch freinds too! I might want to check up on them see how their lives are doing...
Erm, I don't know exactly how it goes, but I think they have a temporary government for a while, until the elections, which will be in about a month. So, no, there's no chaos, and your friends shouldn't be in danger.
At least that's how I think the Dutch government works, and probably also some other European ones. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2002, 08:02 AM   #52
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
quote:
ok so let me get this straight, so the Nerthlands HAS no government right now? Or is it just a country without leaders? Will they get new leaders? If so though what process and who will be chosen? Does anybody really know?!?! O_o i bet they didn't have a system for if EVERYBODY up and quits! That would be like every governmental employee in Washington resigning, or like all the members of the Diet in Japan commiting scuicide simultaneously...

0.o oye vay! I bet its absolute chaos right now! I have Dutch freinds too! I might want to check up on them see how their lives are doing...
Erm, I don't know exactly how it goes, but I think they have a temporary government for a while, until the elections, which will be in about a month. So, no, there's no chaos, and your friends shouldn't be in danger.
At least that's how I think the Dutch government works, and probably also some other European ones. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Um.... is my post invisible? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I explained it on the previous page. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2002, 08:04 AM   #53
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
For those of you that don't know, Srebrenica is comparable with 11 september, only alot more people died. But I guess your value as a person 'is' determined by your nationality, since absolutly no one outside Bosnia or the Netherlands has heard from it. Rather 1000 anonymous muslims dead then one citizen from the west. Its a sad world.
There was A LOT of media coverage on that in Slovenia. Well, maybe that's because we're so near to them. But I also think there was quite a lot of coverage in other countries in Europe too...
Though I agree with you. Sometimes it does seem that your value as a person is determined by your nationality...
Old 04-17-2002, 09:27 AM   #54
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Um.... is my post invisible? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I explained it on the previous page. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Yes, your posts are invisible. I don't see this one either. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sorry, I replied before I read on.

[ 04-17-2002, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Spelca ]
Old 04-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #55
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Rikard_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard_OHF:
[qb]
Quote:

Quote:
If you talk about One persons
We have an American Fugitive in the netherlands his asylum application got accepoted bcause in the US he's not sure of his life
And the reason?
He has different political views
Nothing more nothing less he never did anything dangerous and sayd nothing worse then i have
Quote:
I think you have been misinformed on this, we do nOT arrest people for their opinions and to say this guy had to flee just because he disagreed with the government is definately not telling the whole story. I myself frequently criticize the government, I unlike Alexander realize the gun laws in this country are not LAX, it is the enforcement of those laws that is lax, and I frequently protest, complain and in other ways let my representative know what I think about the current policies, Ive never once feard being arrested just because I differed with the local, state or federal governments.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:24 PM   #56
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:

Alexander two things...one ....watch the personal attacks, its not tolerated well on this board, this is a discussion forum and I have the right to my opinion just as Rikard has to his, we are attacking ideas and policy not each other.

Second, obviously you are just chipping in here without having any background on me...at least Rikard has some Idea where Im coming from, I am obviously not basing my whole ideology on one or two conversations, I've lived and learned, I have traveled and experienced to act like I've been living in some back water rural town is falacy. I have been over seas, I have been in combat, I have been on humanitarian missions and I have watched and learned, I read, I educate myself and Ilearn....we use examples because we can't put our whole life time of experience down into one post. So skip the superior BS Ive got more international experience than MOST people. This board only has a handfull of people who have been to as many places and seen as many things as I have...so again, My point of view is as "valid" as any and has a bit more behind it than the average person.
So you think that with all your experience your opinions are actually more justified than those of others? And you just dismiss his criticism because you think it is beneath you to debate them? It doesn't make you more right about things nor does it make someone else's opinion less valid.
People don't win debates by boasting about their self-proclaimed expertism on certain subjects. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]No actually you are not correct in how you read my meaning. I am saying, MY opinion is at least founded on actual experience. Thats all, I didn't say I had more of a right to have one. Just that having one based on experience is going to make it by default more realisticly valid than one formed by someone who has never left the halls of acedemia or their home town. You cannot form meaningful preceptions of the state of the world if you do not venture forth into it. You can come up with really nice theories and pie charts but they won't have any bearing on reality.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:27 PM   #57
MagiK

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:

Please don't confuse a lack of information with a lack of humanity.
Thats my point. 11 september got worldwide media coverage and international support. Those Muslims got a "Sorry, not our fault, go complain to the Serbs". And apparantly, the western media's hardly found it worth mentioning. And even if everyone had known, would it have changed anything? Far away from our doorstep, not our problems. Perhaps you feel sorry for the thousands of widows when you watch the journal, so you'll get yourself another drink and turn on a happy show. But when the west itselfs comes under attack, suddenly every effort must be made to get to the terrorists.[/QUOTE]That is not true, I heard nightly reports on public TV about Bosnia and Milosovic or however you spell it, I was sick to death of the updates every 15 minutes where they would tell you the SAME information. The media played it for all it was worth, uiuntill people quit watching, then they moved on to a different subject. There was no shortage of information available on the atrocities commited in bosnia....it is why we sent troops...who were supposed to be home what...3 or 4 years ago? The troops are STILL there.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:32 PM   #58
MagiK

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
[QB]In the UK we dont have the death penalty - and whats the result? Millions of pounds of taxpayers money (including mine) get spent keeping prisoners in prison - even when its not luxurious is expensive.
QB]
Sure, lets kill every criminal in jail. I think the death penalty is more expensive then keeping someone imprissoned for a long time. Not to mention that only a small number of prisoners commited capital crimes such as murder. Or did you want to kill them all?[/QUOTE]You know...you criticize me for taking things to ridiculoous extremes...you seem pretty ready to do it your self though

I will say one thing, if every person who committed a crime knew there was an high degree of likelyhood he would suffer extremes of pain and suffering and possibly or probably death..it would give them pause before comitting the criminal acts quite so lightly. I do like Singapores tradition of public caning...it appears to be EXTREMELY effective at preventing nuisance crimes.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #59
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
In the UK we dont have the death penalty - and whats the result? Millions of pounds of taxpayers money (including mine) get spent keeping prisoners in prison - even when its not luxurious is expensive.

Why do people keep saying that keeping prisoners in prison is more expensive that executing them? As that's not true. The death penalty costs a lot more of the money of tax payers actually, in order to execute someone in the US enormous amounts of money are spent in lawsuit cases and thorough investigations, and especially several appeals. And that is a whole lot more than food, clothing and "shelter" for that person for the rest of his life.
I've posted the link to the investigation implicating the aboveon this board before in another thread, can't be bothered to search for it now. Probably one of the times the death penalty was discussed on this board.
[/QUOTE]Thats an artificial cost Grojlach, in actuality after the person is convicted in theory (if we could get a decent justice system) it should cost roughly 57 cents to execute a prisoner, based on current ammo costs. Any cost over and above that are artificial costs induced by our current justice system. I AM aware that not everyo9ne convicted is guilty, but thankfully with DNA and other new testing, we are rapidly becoming able to at least clear the innocent. There are many tens of thousands of cases where the criminal is quilty without a bdoubt, has even admitted it and yet they suck up millions and millions of dollars in resources. Murders, rapists, and the like have no benefit to society and should be dealt with like the trash they are.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:39 PM   #60
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Alexander:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MagiK:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Alexander:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by MagiK:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Rikard_OHF:
[qb]
Quote:
[qb]In addition, am I a "liberal's liberal" for not believing in tactics normally used in fascist and totalitarian states?
My apologies then. from your post, I got the impression that you thought the man was innocent.