Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2003, 06:40 AM   #11
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sythe:
Those type of coicedences happen A LOT. Think it's just a coicedience?
Yep. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I don't believe in coincidences having any sort of meaning. After all, they are called coincidences for a reason. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2003, 10:17 PM   #12
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by pcgiant:
quote:
Originally posted by Sythe:
Those type of coicedences happen A LOT. Think it's just a coicedience?
Yep. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I don't believe in coincidences having any sort of meaning. After all, they are called coincidences for a reason. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Yeah just one big huge coincedence.......sometimes I hate myself for being super superstitous.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:56 AM   #13
Epona
Zartan

Deja vu is caused by a slight memory malfunction, whereby occassionally things you see are put straight into your long term memory instead of your short term memory where they are usually held for a bit before being moved to your long term memory. This results in you having an instant 'past memory' of the event occurring. (It could be a glitch in the Matrix of course ) It is common amongst young people whose neural pathways are still developing, but tends to be less common in adults.

Interestingly, my bf (yes, I have a bf! ) suffered head injuries in a road accident a few years ago and his memory doesn't work properly. He can remember stuff fine (in that there's no amnesia apart from the accident itself), but gets confused between stuff that happened just now and stuff that happened some time ago. He experiences a lot of deja vu as a result - a 'have I been here/done this before?' feeling as his experiences sometimes go straight into long term memory, so they seem like past events. Similarly, stuff that he did a while ago can suddenly pop into his short term memory, making him wonder if he just did them! It's not too bad, and he can usually figure out when it's happened, but it must be confusing. It's a fascinating insight into how memory works (although probably less fascinating than annoying for him).

EDIT to add: Ziroc, I LOVE my new avatar!!!

[ 08-28-2003, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 08-28-2003, 09:25 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Deja vu is caused by a slight memory malfunction, whereby occassionally things you see are put straight into your long term memory instead of your short term memory where they are usually held for a bit before being moved to your long term memory. This results in you having an instant 'past memory' of the event occurring. (It could be a glitch in the Matrix of course ) It is common amongst young people whose neural pathways are still developing, but tends to be less common in adults.

Interestingly, my bf (yes, I have a bf! ) suffered head injuries in a road accident a few years ago and his memory doesn't work properly. He can remember stuff fine (in that there's no amnesia apart from the accident itself), but gets confused between stuff that happened just now and stuff that happened some time ago. He experiences a lot of deja vu as a result - a 'have I been here/done this before?' feeling as his experiences sometimes go straight into long term memory, so they seem like past events. Similarly, stuff that he did a while ago can suddenly pop into his short term memory, making him wonder if he just did them! It's not too bad, and he can usually figure out when it's happened, but it must be confusing. It's a fascinating insight into how memory works (although probably less fascinating than annoying for him).

EDIT to add: Ziroc, I LOVE my new avatar!!!
That's funny - I knew you were going to say that!!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-28-2003, 09:52 AM   #15
quietman1920

As the OP was about strange moments, I feel its only fair to share one that I had last night with you. I had been reading the CNN & BBC hype on Mars being so close to the Earth Tuesday...but Tuesday it was cloudy here. So yesterday after work i dug my old telescope out of the attic, cleaned it up & prepared it for use. I go out at 8pm: Nothing There. I go out at 9pm: Nothing There (the neighbors lights started popping on though). Finally I said the heck with this...I'm waiting until its Really Late.

So the alarm on my watch goes off at Midnight and I drag the whole apparatus outside again...and its there! Its kinda orangish. So I set up my 150 power telescope that my father bought me when I was 12. At Sears. And I zoom in on the Red Planet.

And it looks like an Orange PEZ.

It was at that moment that I knew I was in a Strange Moment...for here I am...a grown man...who has to work the next day...on his front lawn at midnight looking through a dented telescope at an event the media has hyped as a 'Once in 65,000 year event'...and it looks like a Damned Orange PEZ.

Later that night, my wife asked me why I went to bed angry....
Old 08-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

What's really scary is that after 9 years (our anniversary was yesterday [img]smile.gif[/img] ) my wife and I not only can guess what eachother are thinking... we often think ALIKE. This of course doesn't mean I understand women (at all!), but I think after debating positions for years on end you tend to come to a common ground on many issues... after which you react identically to certain situations. This gets especailly wiggy when something happens and you both get up and do what needs to be done, without ever even talking about it (because you KNOW you're both on the same wavelength).

Kindof like my cousin and I... when we were young we went to this party, everyone was underage, everyone was drinking. He and I were refilling when the police arrived in force. Without saying a word or even looking at each other he grabbed one side and I grabbed the other side and we headed out into the woods with the keg. It was eerie!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:40 PM   #17
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I've had many moments in my life where i dream something and then years later it comes true. Lateley I've been having knightmares, let's hope they, too, don't come true . . .
Old 08-28-2003, 01:06 PM   #18
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Coincidences arent happening way as much as not-coincedences. You cannot even begin to count the amount of non-coincedences, so according to the chancerule with big numbers, coincidences are bound to happen a lot. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 07:49 PM   #19
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

What the heck did you just say JrKASperov. LOL

I once dreamt that a friend of mine was walking down the street towards my house and this leaf fell from a tree and I walked up to him and asked him a question and then he answered back something really weird. Later about a year and a half later I left my house and met my friend coming down the street and saw this leaf fall out of the tree and wham deja vu. So I asked him the question and before he could answer I said you are going to say this this and that and he gave me the funniest look and it was what he was going to say.

I've had lots of dreams like that but mostly there is one main thing that doesn't turn out correct about them. One dream I was standing at a certain spot in the kitchen and I looked at the clock and it was 4:03pm and my dad drove down the street and parked the car in the drive way and came in upset and yelled at me for something and later everything happened exactly the same way except he didn't yell at me.

I've dreamt the living of the first place I stayed at when I went to university years before I even considered going to university. The only thing that was different was a single chair that was orange instead of green.

I wish I could dream up a lottery ticket sometime. Of course the one thing wrong in the dream would of course be the darn numbers! LOL
Old 08-29-2003, 07:18 AM   #20
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Ok, so I have a tendency for formulating excruciatingly elaborate sentences

Here's one example.

You might see a a bird crash into a tree and two seconds later, see a trail derail just missing you by a scratch, you'd say it's a miracle that happened! The chances of that happening are just too slim for it to happena t that exact time. In fact, such thing should happen a lot more. EVERY second that is NOT happening, you do not notice. Every second it is not happening, the chance gets bigger it will. So basically, it's unbelievable when it does happen while you forgot that so much MORE times, this is NOT happening, so according to chancerule, it is bound to happen. Basically, you were overestimating coincedence. It was no extremely rare coincedence this happened, cause it NOT happening occurs SO much more. But we only notice when it IS happening, so we call it(wrongfully) too much of a coincidence to not be a miracle. Now, to get back to the first post with thinking the same at the same time. This goes by the same rule. You think it's weird you were thinking the same thing at the same time. But SO many times, you are NOT thinking the same at the same time. So according to chancerule again, it will happen, and it is not much of a rare coincedence when it does. SO, and here is the conclusion: stop wondering about it, it's perfectly normal to happen