Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2003, 03:04 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey, love your pets here! Tell us all about them! Tells us about pets you have lost and pets that are still with you.

Our big white cat, Newman, likes to sleep on paper towels. He knocked the roll off the counter then unrolled four or five and curled up to sleep. I managed to rescue the roll, but I left the part he likes to sleep on. He inspired me to start this thread with his behavior.

Our other big orange cat, Twila, likes to eat saltine crackers. She picks them up in her mouth and runs around with them like she has caught a mouse or something. Then she licks the salt off the darn thing and finally eats the cracker. She is weird.

Twila has a lung tumor, but her condition has miraculously stabilized, even though the vet gave her 3 months to live a year ago. She has gained back all the weight she lost and rarely coughs like she used to after going on medication. Yeah!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

My fiance and I have create voices/personalities for our cats. They are quite comical. Twila is an airhead who forgets her name and what color she is. Newman is an egomaniac who's favorite food is pork and claims have a PHD in literature.
Are we just strange or does anyone else do this?

Finally, I must tell of a big blue tick hound dog named Smokey that came into my life when I lived in the country as a teenager. We lived off of a two lane road that many semi trucks used to to connect to a major Alabama highway. Smokey liked to chase these semis, as foolish as that was. Being a country dog who just wandered up to our house one day, keeping him inside resulted in loud baying at all hours of the day and night.

One day, his last day, Smokey caught himself a big truck. He died a happy dog, I know it.

Well thanks for listening to me gush about the animal friends I know and have known.

Please tell your pet stories!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:43 AM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Those are great stories Chewbacca and great idea here! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll just share what my cat, Sid, an all black homunculi, does quite often. I think plenty of cats do this but anyways.. He puts his front right paw in the water whenever drinking. If out of a cup, a saucer, a glass someone has left out, doesn't matter always he sticks his whole paw up to that first little knee in there and then just laps away. Funny looking..

[ 08-07-2003, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 08-07-2003, 07:31 AM   #3
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

My cat Pixie
She's a tabby, 17 years old, no teeth, yowls, and we all love her!
She used to be a really good hunter, but now she's afraid of open spaces.

Until a few years ago, we had hamsters. Tina, Hamburger, Poddle, Cornflakes, Spudnik(renamed Spud when we found out she was a girl), Psycho, Bubbles, Woodman, Snuffie, Alba, and 11 babies who survived and two albino babies who sadly didn't.
We have obviously made the mistake of thinking hamburger was a girl and Spud was a boy, and we wound up with several little bundles of joy... and PAIN.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 08-07-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
liz76love
Dungeon Master

I have the cutestest craziest dog. I found him in a box out in the woods with nine other puppies. I wanted to save them all but could only save one. So I picked my kito. He was scrawny full of worms and on his death bed. despite all this he had the most amazing sense of curiosotiy of all the other dogs. I took him home. evryone said he would die. but i refused. I nursed him back to health. it took several hundred dollars, but now hes down rigtht crazy. he runs laps around the house like hes doing the daytona 500. hes very brave and has many othjerstrange qualaties. we have a bond like no other and as long as I have him I know theres always someone in this some times so cruel world that loves me no matter what.
e
Old 08-07-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

My pets:

Titus - a very very small skyblue opaline budgie, 3 years old. He is quite sweet and always whistles to me when I go in the room, even though he's not tame.

Maximus - a slightly bigger dark grey budgie, 1 year old. Very inquisitive, but a bit shy of humans, and not tame. He is otherwise known as Houdini because of his skill in getting out of his cage at the most inconvenient moments. Last time he did it he managed to knock his food bowl off the side of the cage and made a huge mess.

I would like to put the two together in a cage but they bite each others toes.

Jasper - a grumpy Senegal parrot (emerald and olive green, grey head and tail, bright yellow 'vest'), nearly 2 years old. I am the love of his life, he is very tame and likes being cuddled. He attacks everyone else though and some of my mates are scared of him, he has a big powerful beak for a bird only 9" long! He talks really well for such a young bird (he will be an adolescent at about the age of 4, and has an expected lifespan of 30-35 years), and has a repertiore of about 20 phrases which he understands how to use properly. He is like a toddler, always wanting attention. When he wants to be petted he says 'scritch' and rubs his head slowly with his toe. One of the funniest things he ever said was when I said to him 'give us a kiss' and he replied 'in a minute' and headed to his food bowl - I can't believe I was given the brush off by a bird! He is very nervous, so I have to be quite careful when introducing him to new situations in case he panics.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Bailey is a doxie/beagle girl I found tied to a tree. She was about 8 weeks old. She is a huntress and can track food on any counter or closet. Can open any door knob and lets all the other dogs in or out to do her bidding.

Kodiak is an American Eskimo Dog and Bailey's foil. She uses Kodi to reach the places too high for her - or sent him into rooms that they are not supposed to be in so that he gets into trouble! We rescued him at about 6 months of age.

Bonnie and Clyde are brother and sister littermates. We rescued their mother when she was pregnant. They are part shepard (mom dog) and part large black terrier. Looking like "Disney Dogs" they are 60 pounds each of constant motion - we call them the gangster dogs.

Also have a rescue budgie named bleu2 who keeps laying eggs and chatters up a storm. She hasn't had a mate in 4 years!

It has quieted down here - we used to have a high of 18 dogs and 4 birds, fish, hamsters, etc. *No - we really don't need anymore, thank you"!
Old 08-07-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
GForce

My dog, Sargent, is a black mixed lab. He passed away while I spent my tour of duty overseas back in 85-87. Cried for dies and even years after when I think of him. I'm okay now. Just wished my life had been under better circumstances back then. Looking towards getting another pet dog so I can make up for it.

Old 08-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Henkie- a headbanging Lovebird, who puts a lot of effort in getting the attention of whoever comes into the house. he's tame, and sits on my shoulder whereever i go, even outside. Not too keen about strangers though, he'll bite anyone's finger, except mine. I recently found out that he goes completely nuts when i wear sunglasses, i wonder what the hell that's all about.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

i dont have a pet....
Old 08-07-2003, 05:39 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I love reading other people's pet stories! Chewie I'm so happy for you that Twila is recovering! My grandparents have a poodle Cyndi who is having kidney problems, and a while back she looked to have only days even left, she was so skinny and sad and not eating at all - now she is fatter and happier and eating and going for walks again. It's so wonderful to see their resilience.

There's a house that my mum and I pass everyday when we're walking our poodle, Bubbles, that used to have a big golden labrador who would lie down at the letterbox everyday looking out at the world. Apparently once people complained that his owners 'made' him live out there all the time, but he wanted to be there, and you wouldn't have found more loving and doting parents than his. He was tied up, but he was so old and slow that he needn't have been, and we used to pat him and say hello every day. I used to wave to him, but then I realised he was almost totally blind and he couldn't see me lol! He was very old, especially for such a big dog, having lived there before we got Bubbles who's almost 11, and had arthritis and other assorted problems, and one day he couldn't get up anymore and wouldn't eat. The vet had been called to come and put him out of his misery, but before they arrived, he'd rallied and got up and was fine again. He lasted months after that, same old Bronson by his letterbox. Then one day we walked past and he wasn't there anymore, but there was a note on the letterbox from his parents telling us, and all the other people in the neighbourhood who walk past, that he'd had a stroke and was gone. People put flowers by the letterbox. It was so sad, yet wonderful at the same time, that such a sweet and loving creature had meant so much to so many. Bubbles is one of the only dogs left in our neighbourhood now of the ones we first got to know when she came to be in our family.

Oh dear I'm crying! [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Of my own pets, I've already mentioned Bubbles. She used to be a black miniature poodle, but like most black poodles she's gone silver. Her little pompom tail was the first thing to turn silver, and she used to look so silly with a jet black body and this silver pompom bobbing about on the end of her tail! She's had a lot of problems in her life, with operations on both knees repairing her cruciate ligaments, irritable bowel syndrome for which she needs a special diet, and of course her recovery from a german shepherd attacking her while she was being walked one day. She used to be so friendly and excited to see other dogs, but now only the ones she knows she likes, and the others, especially big dogs, frighten her and she needs to be carried past them. She's the sweetest little thing you've ever seen. Everyone that comes to the house is her best friend, and she doesn't understand when they don't pay any attention to her! I don't understand either.

My other baby, and she really is my baby because Bubbles is really my mother's dog, is my Russian Blue cat Tuppence, who'll be 3 in November. She is a typical cat, though she doesn't know how boringly (and cutely!) predictable she is - gets into every box and every shopping bag she sees, hunts for moths in the garage, sleeps in foolish and inappropriate places. And yet she's not typical - she hardly ever purrs, she doesn't play catty games like bat the toy on the piece of string, she's never climbed curtains, and she's absolutely hopeless at pouncing out at people - you see her planning it ages before she springs, and then she always pulls out at the last minute. She's the most adorable thing [img]smile.gif[/img]