Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 08:46 PM   #11
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Oh hallo Im Irish so I thought I would comment on this. The IRA and others are small potatoes compared to the middle eastern guys, Its a very dirty little campeign they have up there but nothing on the kind of scale you get in other places. The British army and the SAS had a shoot to kill policy there for years in case you think they were just let at it. Generally US intervention in the North has been well recieved by all but its more of an intermediary group than the kind of hands on approach in Israel.

The African situation, this is a hard thing to say but most people just dont care. You dont see it much because its all buisness wars, bannana republic syndrome or a situation caused by drawing of borders by colonising countries basically the first world. The situation is generally caused by first world people so they dont want to know about it and its easier for them not to know about it. Its kind of a stupid world where people will refuse to watch the news so they can see a rerun of friends.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 08:56 PM   #12
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
You're in same boat as me - the buggers blew up my Dad's train (Charing Cross one a few years back - fortunately that was the ONE time in his life he MISSED the damn thing getting to work

OHMIGOD. What a lucky escape!

So you remember what it was like then. Funny thing, the Irish and the British never got all this attention........ Dunno how many casulties over the years. A hell of a lot, though.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 08:56 PM   #13
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
Oh hallo Im Irish so I thought I would comment on this. The IRA and others are small potatoes compared to the middle eastern guys, Its a very dirty little campeign they have up there but nothing on the kind of scale you get in other places. The British army and the SAS had a shoot to kill policy there for years in case you think they were just let at it. Generally US intervention in the North has been well recieved by all but its more of an intermediary group than the kind of hands on approach in Israel.

The African situation, this is a hard thing to say but most people just dont care. You dont see it much because its all buisness wars, bannana republic syndrome or a situation caused by drawing of borders by colonising countries basically the first world. The situation is generally caused by first world people so they dont want to know about it and its easier for them not to know about it. Its kind of a stupid world where people will refuse to watch the news so they can see a rerun of friends.

You're right about Ireland as compared to the Middle East and places like Afghanistan, etc. Although it is bad enough for those injured, killed or bereaved by the terrorists on both sides of the issue.
And yes, people do sometimes refuse to watch the news in favour of lighter programmes. But that is often because the news makes people see things that make them uncomfortable or afraid, and they would rather not feel that way.
That's human nature. Don't be too hard on them, Jabidas!

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 09:05 PM   #14
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
Generally US intervention in the North has been well recieved by all but its more of an intermediary group than the kind of hands on approach in Israel.

Hi Jabidas. Re the US, I was talking about the funding that various American groups and individuals give to the IRA. Re Africa etc, I agree with you totally.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 09:14 PM   #15
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

all i can say is; i completly agree that the US made themselves the Police in the world... (for thier own interest?? maybe..)

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 09-21-2001, 09:33 PM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel:
I just having a conversation with my sister and this came up.

Why is it now that America and it alies are 'going to war' to stop terrorists when groups like the real IRA and the Loyalists have been killing people for nearly 30 years, will they all move in the root out and destory these groups once the finished bombing Asganstan(?)and then what about the extremmist animal rights groups, will the be hunted down? Why have they all stood idaly by when Iseal commintes acts verging on geoside on Plastine or when hundreds of people are muilated and killed every day in Afica?
Why has it took an direct act agaisnt them to bring them to action?

Because it was direct action against them. The above examples would involve meddling in disputes between two parties. This is now a direct attack on the largest city in the nation, and destruction of it's two largest buildings, as well as an attack on the symbol of military command.

On an emotional level (putting aside the loss of life for a moment) It's akin to totally wiping out say Sydney Tower and the Opera house, or Buckingham Palace and all of Picadilly Circus/Trafalgar Square, or The Arc D'Triomphe and Eiffel Tower, or The Kremlin and Saint Basils Cathedral, etc etc. It is an offense that such extreme vandalism removed buildings of such economic and character defining significance, let alone inflicting the monsterous loss of human life that outstrips the civil war losses, or the pearl harbour deaths.

This is where it stops. This is the line in the sand. Nothing ever justifies taking such a destructive, evil, selfish path.

I should also point out that the "funding of the IRA" came from various Irish Americans, not the American Government. Also America has more Jews than Israel does and more Irish than Ireland (People of Irish Ancestry outside Ireland number 70 million), so it's not hard to see why America's attitudes have been what they were.

Better now than never.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-21-2001, 10:58 PM   #17
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Besides, don't forget it was proved America funded the IRA
Lord Shield doen't the UK have an extadition treaty with the USA? Indite the people that are funding the IRA, and issue and arrest warrant. By rule of law we will turn them over to the UK for trial.
The USA doesn't have an extradition treaty with Afhganistan, so we will have to go in and get the terrorists.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"

[This message has been edited by John D Harris (edited 09-21-2001).]