Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2001, 05:53 PM   #1
Shadazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi everyone!

I really love this game but the constant bobbing up and down when you move gives me motion sickness.

I've written an e-mail to their support about it but unfortunately, they are not planning on adding a switch to disable it.

Has anyone here run into a mod or custom patch that turns off the bobbing? I don't understand why developers add this to games. It doesn't make the games more realistic in my opinion.

Does anyone else out there get motion sickness like this? And if so, how do you deal with it? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Shadazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 05:58 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome, Shadazar!

You can try using the keyboard rather than the mouse to move..it may cut down on some of the "bobbing" effect...more like gliding. You may still have to use the mouse a bit, though.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 05:59 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Shadazar!!

Never had a problem with this myself. How are you running the graphics? Off a card or in software mode? Maybe adjusting the graphic settings might help you.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
Shadazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks guys!

I really love this board and everyone!

I'll try it with the keyboard and see if that helps and I'll also fiddle with the gaphic settings which I previously left a default and see if that helps too.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-21-2001, 03:22 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Shadazar,

I watched last night as I was playing, and I noticed a tiny amount of "bobbing" while using the mouse, but not enough to really notice. I'm running in Hardware mode at 640x480, so that may help...also, I remember that I "bobbed" a lot until I got the hang of the interface. Keeping the mouse steady while holding down the right mouse button can really help.

I do know that W&W is not a game you want to play while you're intoxicated! (I know...I tried! Was quite an experience, to say the least.)

-Sazerac
Old 05-21-2001, 03:33 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Shadazar - Do keep us posted on how things are going for you!! Hope that one to the tips will work to remove that annoying bobbing!

Wyv
Old 05-26-2001, 03:43 PM   #7
Shadazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi again!

Ok, I've tried everyone's ideas for a couple of days. Sazerac's idea to use only the keyboard worked the best. It seems the mouse does increase the bobbing since it can also be used change where your looking and can control movement at the same time. So after I switched to completely using the keyboard, it did cut down on the bobbing quite a bit. Its still there but not as noticeable as before! So I can now play for extended amounts of time without getting sick. Kudos to all of you for helping me! So if your suseptable to motion sickness, definately stick with keyboard control.

Now that I'm mostly using the keyboard, is it possible to pickup items using the keyboard only? I find that I have to click on every little dropped arrow on the ground to pickem up. I've checked the manual and keboard configuration and couldn't find anything. I'll keep experimenting though.

One more thing, how do you get off of ladders without falling? (hehe My brave party has many a time fallen to their deaths) I know now I shouldn't turn around to get off but any strategies you've used would be of great help.

Thanks again!!!
Old 05-26-2001, 03:53 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

YAY!!!!

And thanks for letting us know, Shadazar!!!!

Wyv

------------------
Old 05-26-2001, 04:25 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

On the ladders: There is a way, but it does require a lot of looking down and swirling around, which would probably make you motion sick.

"Jump and Splat" seems to be the preferred way of doing it. You don't take too much damage, and the characters heal fairly quickly.

-Sazerac
Old 05-26-2001, 06:06 PM   #10
Shadazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Right on Sazerac!

Just realized I can look down while on the ladder! Boy I feel stupid. Should of tried that. Thanks again! You all rock!

Shadazar