Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2001, 05:25 PM   #1
Darkman

I read somewhere that the chance to find a trap is based on the Thief's detect traps skill, but the chance for successful disarming of the discovered trap is based on the lock pick skill. Is this true?
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 06:28 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

My experience has always been that if you find a trap you'll automatically disarm them once you click on the thieving icon on said traps(with a few exceptions in Durlag's Tower; they remain active no matter what you try!). A misunderstanding may be that you have to click on the thieving icon to disarm and people thus take it to me it must be according to your lock picking percentage.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 09:46 PM   #3
Darkman

Thanks, Albromor. That makes sense now, although I had Imoen set off a trap once while disarming it. I think she must have accidentally stepped too closely
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 10:54 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

You are welcome. And I, too, have had Imoen set off traps by a) either having her run up too fast with the icon and run over them, or b) have her moving too fast while searching amd suddenly there is a trap but I can't stop her in time. If you haven't tried it yet, have her go invisible and search and disarm traps. As long as she doen't draw weapons and attack she'll remain invisible. I have saved myself tons of grief by using this tactic. Some would consider this a cheap manuever. To that I say I thought it up by myself and anything that gets me through on my own is above board.

By the way, I personally place my skill points into Find Traps and Pick Locks before I do stealth and pick pockets. Stealth can be enhanced by several means, i.e., shadow boots, rings, armor, etc.

[This message has been edited by Albromor (edited 08-20-2001).]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 04:46 AM   #5
trux

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:

By the way, I personally place my skill points into Find Traps and Pick Locks before I do stealth and pick pockets. Stealth can be enhanced by several means, i.e., shadow boots, rings, armor, etc.
That's definetely a sound practice for BG.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:34 AM   #6
Shrylia
Manshoon

A potion of perception doesn't hurt either. I think that is the one that improves thieving skills for a little while. I used it with some success in Durlag's Tower...
Shrylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:41 AM   #7
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I believe ive found traps that cant be disarmed that arent in Durlags Tower but in BG1, though
little SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
In the last part of the game, when you fight Sarevok, there are traps in the skull in the middle of the skull. I tried to disarm them, but I set them off instead.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote