Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #1
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Some spoilers are bound to appear:

Well, now with a three self-made character party I was just getting this little idea:

The party would have three paladins. One of each kit. To make the whole thing a bit more interesting (and avoid equipment interest conflicts) I would also make their choice of proficiencies distinctly dissimilar. I even thought about making them have different ethnicities. They would be:

Cavalier: Sword and shield style: Long swords, Bastard swords, some kind of blunt weapon.

Undead Hunter: Single weapon style, Katana, Scimitar, long bow, Two weapon style.

Inquisitor: Two-handed weapon style, Two handed swords, halberds, Crossbows.

The cavalier would be white, the inquisitor black and the undead hunter asian. (The cavalier and the inquisitor could be switched, however).

A problem with this set-up is that it is hard to decide who should be the bhaalspawn.

The other is the choice of NPC's. Though they should allow Keldorn in the party for a little while they should strive to release him from his duty as soon as possible so that he might get some quality time with his kids and wife. There are, after all, three paladins ready to take his place. So we can basically count Keldorn out.

The most logical would then be to take in Anomen, Aerie and Mazzy since they are all (or can become) Lawful Good. That would give us a solid base of clerical support, good fire-support and some mage ability. The lack of a thief is annoying, but with paladins of all three kits they will be able to suck up most traps with little detrimental effect. Doors can be bashed and we shouldn't be involved in pickpocketing anyway.
The problem is: Imoen. Abandoning her in Bodhi's Gauntlet would be heartless, unjust and plain un-paladinlike. Of course it might be a solution to drop one of the party and take Yoshimo along. Then let Imoen wander off when they get home again. That would mean that one party-member would have to miss a rather massive part of the game.

The other would be to make Imoen one of the regulars (and take Yoshi or no sixth party member before). She would probably replace either Aerie and Mazzy. This solution would give us adequate thieving support (only trap-removal and such, we don't involve ourselves in actual thievery) as well as some solid mage ability.

But then we might want four paladins to perfect the concept even more. They would be:

True paladin: The bhaalspawn. Two-handed swords, Crossbows, Two-handed weapon style, halberds. Black.

Inquisitor: Longbows, shortbows, Spears for backup. Native american (Maztican).

Undead Hunter: Katanas, Wakasashis, Single-weapon and and Two weapon style. Asian (Kara-Tur'ian).

Cavalier: Long Swords, Short swords, Sword and Shield style.

This would, of course, mean even less NPC's and we'll probably have to leave Mazzy (Aww ) behind. The Imoen problem would still be there.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
rhapsody407
Manshoon

this sounds good in theory...however i experimented with it, and the group left alot to be desired, i added a skald in with them, which turned them into a very fine group...but without the skald they were mediocre at best, and even with the skald, you're better off with fighters multi or dual classed, or just straight up...the paladins all have the same specials, the cavalier is the same as a ranger with two racial enemies. the concept is cool, but my experiances with this left lots to be desired.
rhapsody407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just an idea... Undead hunter, undead resist bladed weapons, you know, being an undead hunter and all, shouldn't he be the one to be using maces, flails, hammers, etc... You know, the traditional weapons of those who hunt undead... Just a thought.

It would look odd to see an undead hunting zealot armed with katanas.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:57 AM   #4
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

if i was to do this i would, take the 3 kits, aerie(for healing and what/not), proably anomen and leave a spot open for imoen. three paladins(plus anomen as a back-up) is more than enough tanking.(making mazzy overkill, 3 paladins and a fighter, way to much melee) you have plenty of healing between anomen and aerie and more than enough magic between aerie and imoen. Imoens not a very good thief but you get knock and detect trap to make up for it. and your paladins should absorb most of the damage
Old 01-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #5
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterfingers:
Just an idea... Undead hunter, undead resist bladed weapons, you know, being an undead hunter and all, shouldn't he be the one to be using maces, flails, hammers, etc... You know, the traditional weapons of those who hunt undead... Just a thought.

It would look odd to see an undead hunting zealot armed with katanas.
I was just thinking about Hindo's Doom, but maybe You're right.

The inquisitor could be the katana swinger then and the undead hunter armed with hammers and maces.

This would make: One double-weapon, one two-handed, one sword and shield and one single weapon.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:20 AM   #6
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Another thought. Perhaps you should take Keldorn as youre Inquisitor. More dialogues. If he doesnt have the stats you want, edit them. then you could take anomen and imoen. plenty of tanks, a cleric who can exceed the 4th level priest spells and a mage.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:02 AM   #7
Myrddin L'argenton
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
Another thought. Perhaps you should take Keldorn as youre Inquisitor. More dialogues. If he doesnt have the stats you want, edit them. then you could take anomen and imoen. plenty of tanks, a cleric who can exceed the 4th level priest spells and a mage.
Instead if we have the Undead Hunter wielding Daystar and Mace of disruption as two weapon style that should be good enough?
White wild magic graven in every rock, for the white gold wielder to unleash or control. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant<br />\'Let no man be unworthy of the angel that watches over him.\' Steven Donaldson<br />Accept who you are.<br />Lord Paladin of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart.<br />Walkthrough-online\'s new site<br />[url]\"http://forums.clankiller.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://forums.clankiller.com</a>
Myrddin L'argenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think Anomen is a must in this theme, but then, so is Mazzy in a way. Nalia would probably think a bunch of Paladins to be too old-fashioned for her style of patronising do-gooding but Aerie would probably fit. The only concern I'd have is including a mage at all, considering this is a group of Priestly Knights from a city that despises mages, but maybe not.

I've thought of doing an all-something game a few times myself. In fact I'm currently about 30 days into what I'm calling my "freaks-of-nature". It's a mostly all druid/ranger crew. Not too bad but I haven't stayed strictly true, as I have a thief and a mage along.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #9
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, aside from all Paladins, try an All Nobility Party.

Gather people from the game that come from some sort of nobility. Vallygar, Keldorn, Anomen, Nalia, and Mazzy as well. If you wanted to make things rough, add Viconia. She does come nobility from the Underdark, but, she is, um, exiled at the moment.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote