Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 01:07 PM   #11
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Richard,

Another sight you may want to try is the HADB forum. We are have a section devoted to Arena combat where you create a 1st level PnP character and enter him/her into gladiator-style fights. We are currently running our first tournament.

There are also some role-playing options available for your character. We are working on a Thieve's Guild and - for lack of a better word - a Ranger Guild.

I joined the during IronWorks Holiday downtime and have become quickly hooked on the Arena. I know it isn't the same as sitting down with a group (and SURELY you can find a group in an area as large as Orlando).

Here is a link to the forum, if you're interested.

HADB Clan forum

BTW, don't be "put off" by it being a "clan" website. I had no desire to join a clan, but I really wanted to fight in the Arena, so I just let the moderators know up front that I had no intention of actually joining the Clan.

Of course, since I've joined, I've helped DM some of the Arena fights and I will be running the encounters for the Thieve's Guild and the Ranger Alliance(?) (bah, that's still no good).

Hey, does anybody have a suggestion for a title or name for the Ranger group. It's going to be set up very similar to the Wizards in Middle Earth. Each Ranger will operate relatively independently, but they will also belong to an "Order" in which they can seek counsel or aid from their colleagues.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:16 PM   #12
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:

Hey, does anybody have a suggestion for a title or name for the Ranger group. It's going to be set up very similar to the Wizards in Middle Earth. Each Ranger will operate relatively independently, but they will also belong to an "Order" in which they can seek counsel or aid from their colleagues.

Um, Cerek, that's what we Rangers do naturally--operate independently and seek counsel when available and necessary. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 03:54 PM   #13
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

True enough. But the concept we have is to a more formal organization to it. As I said, the wizards of Middle Earth are a good example.

You have Gandalf-the Gray, Saruman-the White, etc. etc. (I know the books also mentioned a "Red" mage and maybe a "Brown", but it's been a veeery long time since I read them.

That's what I'm thinking of doing here. Have 1 Ranger Lord that watches over an entire country, then have the rest of the rangers assigned to specific areas. In times of crises, it will be up to the Ranger Lord to coordinate the efforts of the rest. Something along that line anyway.

This was an idea I had when I played PnP and one of the Mods on the HADB forum also wanted to explore the idea. Other classes have guilds or unions or whatever. I know that rangers are, by definition, loners who prefer to work alone, or with only a few close allies.

It's an idea we are kicking around. Right now, I'm thinking of simply calling it the Ring, and giving each member an individual ring to wear to acknowledge their status as a ranger.

Any comments (pro or con) are welcome.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:04 AM   #14
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

The Brown wizard from LotR would be Radagast the Brown.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:22 PM   #15
Richard BrightBlade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cerek... Can you give me the low down on that arena stuff??

Sounds interesting, but what do i do?? just register on that sight and ask the moderater to let me join?? i've never done this or heard of it, but it sounds interesting.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:42 PM   #16
Legolas
Jack Burton

How about the Ranger-Protectors of the HADB boards? No?

You have, of course, many kinds of rangers, so if you want to focus on a particular group, kit or a particular area, or type of land, you can focus on that (e.g. Cerek's Justifiers, Moonsea Defenders, Forest Watchers)

For a more general name, though...
Depends on what you expect of the group (who do they work for, if anyone, who do they try and help, who do they fight generally, what are the order's merits, who is the leader, other than being a ranger, do they have something in common, why was the order created etc.)
then focus on that.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:54 PM   #17
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Comic book shops and hobby stores are good places to check out too. We have a place here in Clearwater that has a sign up list for gaming. It's called Emerald City. There are others though too. In Fayetteville, NC, there is a gaming store/hobby shop that does sign ups too. It's called THE HOBBIT. Very good store. There was one in Norfolk, VA, but I haven't been there in so long, I can't remember the name anymore. A lot of these places will even rent out a table to adventurers so they can have a place to game. Really cheap, like $2 an hour or something like that (that's for the table, not per person). It's worth checking into. Once you get a few people playing, they almost always have friends that want to get in on the action too.