Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2001, 05:29 AM   #11
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

You don't actually have to roll 19's
just lower your other scores
Old 01-02-2001, 08:12 AM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Relic, I've read a lot of posts from people who think the Monk is the BEST character which would make it far from being the least used. Bards also have devotees in abundance. On this board alone Moraine, Bardo, Robertthebard, Mordigan and myself have all played/are playing Bard classes. I agree with you re. the Kensai though.

Lil'man I believe the Half Orc Barbarian is quite popular as well - as it walzes through many a battle - and is actually a more 'common' class like the Kensai/Mage.

I think Elminst.... sorry, Memnoch, may have his finger on the pulse as I've never seen a pro Totemic Druid contributor. (No shapechange? But that's one of the best things about being a Druid!)

Maybe we could quantify the poll by listing a class we have never and probably will not play, or perhaps our one least favourite class. Otherwise we're speculating on others opinions and leaving room for our own bias in the process.

I'll start if you like.

The character I am least likely to play is: an ABJURER!
Old 01-02-2001, 08:33 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I've decided i might actually try to play through as a totemic druid to see how effective the class is. I originally thought the jester was pretty useless until i gave him a go and i actually think he's totally cool! Chaos song is pretty damn effective. I'm sure the totemic druid HAS to have some redeeming qualities.
Old 01-02-2001, 08:58 AM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Damn! You've piqued my curiosity! Arg, I want to finish this Jester game, but already I'm feeling the call of nature....what have you done Memnoch!?
Old 01-02-2001, 09:36 AM   #15
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I wanna Kensai!!! A pure one! hehe. I'll have to agree with Memnoch. Mages are still hot picks... and their specialties are well... not accounted for...

Just give their most basic class... like fighter, monk... You all are making me research!

What is it good for absolutely nuthin!! Good God!!!-War(From Rush Hour OST)
Old 01-02-2001, 11:34 AM   #16
Ertai, Wizard Adept

I have recently started playing an evil barbarian and I dont think it is a "cheap berserker" like someone said over there. Even without high especializations, he has 5/2 attacks (hes only level 8 ) high speed (HELL speed with a potion or haste spell), inmune to backstabb (sometimes it comes handy) and i dont think the armor he can use is that bad (hmm, he will be able to use Firkraag´s armor?? That would be really nice).
Another unused class that Ive played (still playing with it, now in the underdark) is the sorceror. And I must agree that as the game advances it sucks more and more. Now im level 16 and I have 3 slots for level 8 spells BUT only 1 memorized !!!
Other classes I want to play is a MP game with a undead hunter (or cavalier), assasin dualed to mage and ranger/cleric or something similar (maybe Avenger ??). I like small parties, not having 6 characters doing each one whatever he/she wants.

Old 01-02-2001, 01:31 PM   #17
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Yes, the sorcerors flexibility to play spells is cool, but he should have more spells or any other bonuses. I think 5 spells level 1 is too much (i only use magic missile and sometimes the killer Chromatic orb) and only 1 or 2 level 8 is very few (there are TONS of cool spells in those high levels. Just look at it: im now at level 16, and i have only 1 level 8 spell (Symulacrum) and i can cast it 3 times. That means that a regular mage would have 3 slots in level 8 and as many spells as he can memorize. A mage could use 1 attacking spell, 1 protection spell and 1 anti-protection spell. I think this is FAR better than having 3 times the same spell, whatever it is.
About the barbarian, I´ve tried with shadowkeeper and the best armors he can use are the shadow dragon armor and the armor of faith +3. Both are AC 1 which isnt very bad, and he could use ring of gaxx and ring of regeneration to regenerate really fast, and with the cloak of mirroring he would be very nice I think.

About the classes i will never play:
- Totemic druid (i dont like druids at all, only the avenger would be interesting for me)
- Beast master (i think the stalker and archer are far better. I have a archer over there kept for playing someday, cause i rolled incredible stats: str 18/95, dext 19, const 17, int 12, wisd 18, char 8 )
- Mage slayer (no comment)
- Any kit of bard (i DONT like them)
- The multiclasses with cleric or mage (i like to reach the high level spells. And the MOST useless multiclass for me is the figher/mage/cleric and fighter/mage/thief. Probably you will remain as a low fighter, shit mage and shit cleric. NO WAY)

Hope you like it Yorick !!

Old 01-02-2001, 03:40 PM   #18
Artea

i've tryed playing some classes, but the only classes i don't wanna play is the pure fighter class and the sorceres...the wizard slayer isn't so bad(could be better). i tryed the beastmaster and i understand why people don't play it. but i don't get why people don't play/like barbarians there better then warriors. my barbarian is killing everything. he has over 200 hp, uses a cloak of mirroring, shield of harmony, shadow armor, and wields crom faeyer...he's ac is -8 and his thaco is -14...ohh yeh the assassin and the swashbuckler isn't to appeling to me eather

Old 01-02-2001, 03:45 PM   #19
Scooby Doo

Well, I guess you can say I am kinda cheesy I played in BG1 and BG2 the Paladin...I use to play this character alot in my old D&D days..lol..so there you go..yep the thief is prob one the less used ones...maybe..

Old 01-02-2001, 04:24 PM   #20
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, I agree with Yorick, the Abjurer is the one I least would like to play and don't think many people play it either. Has anyone here tried??

A pure assasin however looks very appealing to me now when I am playing an assassin dualed to a mage. I love those backstabs and poison, and I heard the assassin could backstab x7 at high levels. Besides you get a lot of thieving skills, and don't have to get Jan or Yoshimo or Nalia be in your party.