Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
shadowspecter
The Magister

Arrow

Well...thats my topic. I need a good portrait site where I can download some new portraits for NWN...I don't feel like having a twin brother in the game...or triplets...or even more.
“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” <br />-Mark Twain<br /><br />“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?” <br />-Scott Adams
shadowspecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Try the nwvault site.

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/portraits/

They have a huge selection of portraits available. The selection is very spotty though - some of the portraits are outstanding, others are really, well let's be nice and simply say that they do NOT make good character portraits. You will have to sift thru them to find the good ones.

Ziroc is supposed to be augmenting his NWN downloads with a fairly substantial set of custom portraits - but I have no idea when that is going to happen. (*wink*, *wink*)

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
shadowspecter
The Magister

Smiley

Nice...very nice portraits. Thanks a lot!

Heh...heh...got another question. This is kinda dumb, but when you click download, a window pops up and ask you if you want to open it or save it...what do I do?

[ 02-02-2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: shadowspecter ]
“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” <br />-Mark Twain<br /><br />“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?” <br />-Scott Adams
Old 02-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
You save it. I *believe* they zip them all, so you DL it to a folder and unzip it to the Portraits folder. If they *don't* zip them, simply put the in said Portraits folder.

And remember! No question is stupid, only unasked questions. And of course that time my theatre teacher asked me if I could really bend that way (I could).

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer

Depending on the person who created the portrait(s), they are compressed using either Winzip or Winrar. I would STRONGLY suggest that you unzip them into a temporary folder and give them a look over with a photo editor first. There are a large number of portraits on NWVault that profess to conform to NWN standards but do NOT. Typical problems are portraits that are not cropped properly or portraits that are compressed - just to name a couple. If you are having trouble with any of the portraits, check these two issues out first. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-03-2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 02-03-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
philip
Galvatron

And another one about the compressing, if you can get WinRar that's the best. Lots of people are discovering the substantial difference between using Winzip's zip format (supported by Winrar as well) and WinRar's .rar. For site bandwidth and slower internet connections more and more people use .rar cause it saves so much. Winrar also supports a lot of other compressions and is useful in far more situations than WinZip.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
shadowspecter
The Magister

Man...ok I downloaded it to my picture folder and it is zipped. I clicked on that folder that was suppose to be the picture I downloaded, it brings be to this page with some other files...I tried to open those file, but a window pops up and says I don't have permission to open it. Maybe thats because the file is zipped. How do I unzip it?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 AM   #8
philip
Galvatron

Donwload WinRar trial version (that's free and after some time you get a msg if you want to buy but you don't need to. You can reinstall if you find it annoying) Then you can right click on the file and the use the winRar option to extract it
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #9
shadowspecter
The Magister

...I think I'm missing some of my marbles in my head...anyway, I downloaded that WinRAR program and I right clicked on the zipped portrait. I chosed to extrat it to my documents and when I started playing NWN and the portrait wasn't there...what am I doing wrong...?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:16 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer

Yuu need to put the portraits into a "portraits" folder. Look into your main NWN folder and if you don't have a portraits folder there, create one. The path should look something like this:

C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\portraits

Then move your portrait files (the unzipped .tga files) into that folder. [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, the reason I suggested unzipping the portraits into a temporary file was to give you a chance to scan them before using them. The quality of the portraits on the vault can be somewhat spotty. [img]smile.gif[/img]