Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2001, 02:12 PM   #1
Chopchop
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I want to like this game. I really REALLY do. But I just can't bring myself to play it anymore... : ( Why? Well first off there just isn't enough story to keep me going. Also the dungeons are massive. To some huge dungeons are a good thing. To me it's the bane of my existance. I hate running around in some underground labyrnth hour after hour bashing zombies and skeletons. I just can't stand it. Large dungeons tend to be a chore for me. I don't mind the occasional small or medium sized ones. They're fun in moderation. But W&W seems to thrive on it's dungeons. It reminds me of Diablo actually. You run into the dungeon, kill stuff, collect loot, run to town. Rinse and repeat. Anywho... hopefully W&W2, if it's ever made, will have fewer dungeons and more story.
Chopchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 02:35 PM   #2
Yazee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Large? Uhm, well actually, I always was happy with what nature had gifted me, but I´ve never heard somebody having inconveniences with the size, well, whatever, size doesn´t matter!
Seen larger, seen smaller...
I think you´re right, it could be bigger, but since, everybody was kinda forced to get this baby out of the door, we have to deal with huge dungeons and not many of ´em, but heck, who cares, I´m playing it and I´m standing on the footsteps of skull castle making one final bonfire before I enter, so I guess I´m happy, but hey, I wish it could have been the same for you, but well, good luck in whatever you´re doing now, have fun!
I sure have!

------------------
My Father was member of the clergy, too!
When asked for his profession, one could hear him say: "Nun!"
Yazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 04:18 PM   #3
KAR_MOD1
Drow Warrior

i agree that the storyline is boring (most rpgs the story is you must find a certain weapon, enchant it then face off with "evil" in hopes of saving the world) i think it would be cool if the story had you in the place of an assasian and in charge of getting revenge for your father who was killed "mysteriously". but overall i like w & w so i think its a good game..
KAR_MOD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 04:40 PM   #4
aestra
Dungeon Master

I love the game too, but I'm just miffed about the fact that it's REAL easy to mess up a quest or whatever and killing off the rest of the game because you'd done something you shouldn't have; or vice versa.

And damn those man traps
aestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
Chopchop
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well it's a good game. I just get bored running through dungeons and bashing creatures all day. I don't mind a cliche plot, I just wish there were more conversations and story elements and fewer labrynths. That's just me though.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:14 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Um..."more" conversations?

Wow...I've easily killed 20 minutes at a time talking to one NPC or another, following through every possible topic or introducing new keywords. Lack of conversation with the NPC's would never have been a gripe of mine!

If you're referring to "in town", now, yes, there I agree with you.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 11:38 PM   #7
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

I couldn't disagree more. I have found that the thing that keeps pulling me back to W&W is the "color" of the game. It is truly amazing how many neat little things you can discover in conversation with people. I also like the voice that describes many key encounters in the game. I like the fact that the game is somewhat open (or at least feels that way). And I personally feel that there is quite a bit of uniqueness to each area you enter.

Overall, I really do enjoy this type of CRPG. It reminds me of Ultima Underworld and of course Wizardy 7 (no suprise there).

IMO, it is a wonderful game that deserves a sequel. To each his own though...it is funny because to me BG was the most boring game I had ever played and I am a LONG time PnP AD&D player (dating back to the late 1970s).

frosty

[This message has been edited by frostg1ant (edited 10-28-2001).]
frostg1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:18 AM   #8
Chopchop
Elite Waterdeep Guard

LoL yeah to each his own. I happened to really like BG. = ) My biggest complaint though is the dungeons. Too long and tedious for my blood. Not that BG was much better. Playing the game over there is definately more dialogue than I remember. I just wish there was more in town.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:37 AM   #9
Mandrake42
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am such an RPG addict I dont mind the dungeons that much! A little more plot wouldnt have gone astray but I dont expect a Serpent Isle or a Planescape Torment every day and Im just happy enough romping through the depths and pulverising evil! Shallow.....maybe........fun.......hell yeah!
Mandrake42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 08:19 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Chopchop:
LoL yeah to each his own. I happened to really like BG. = ) My biggest complaint though is the dungeons. Too long and tedious for my blood. Not that BG was much better. Playing the game over there is definately more dialogue than I remember. I just wish there was more in town.
tongue in cheek quote here - "Umm dude, your last point - have you actually met the world's most tiresome windbag yet - his name is Sebastio and he lives over in Brimoch Roon" .

------------------

Ironworks Revolutionary Splitter wannabe
Founding Member, and General Demands Adviser of the O.R.T.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote