Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 01:55 AM   #1
McHaggis
Manshoon

First a small question to clarify some things. If you play dual/multi-classed thief, you can only backstabb with swords that thief is profienced with? Right?

*Chapter 5 spoilers*
As you all now, you meet Visaj (spelling?) Ust Nasha and he sells you the rope which you then use to defy Deirex the Lich and then you get transportet to Jarlaxle's base of operations. Then he 'employs' you to retrieve some gems from Deirex's tower. And thus as I'm just facing Deirex in my WS->Thief game and I began to wonder what happens if you don't do what he asks? I have never tried to oppose Jarlaxle and so I don't know what happens.
McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:09 AM   #2
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Spoilers
IIRC, he tells the whole drow city who you really are and your cover is blown. if you get the gems but say every hostile thing you can to him, you can fight him to get a pair of drow scimitars. yay

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:42 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Hm... do those Drow scimitars last on the surface? I've never fought him myself.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:46 AM   #4
McHaggis
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
Spoilers
IIRC, he tells the whole drow city who you really are and your cover is blown. if you get the gems but say every hostile thing you can to him, you can fight him to get a pair of drow scimitars. yay
Hm... Yes, I thought he'd blow my cover, but thanks for spoiling me.
McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:14 AM   #5
Vedran
Lord Soth

According to NearInfinity, Jarlaxle carries a Drow Longsword and a +2 Dagger (non-drow).
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

If you read the Drizzt series he uses throwing daggers and such magical items
Old 06-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
Lemmy
Manshoon

McHaggis:
First a small question to clarify some things. If you play dual/multi-classed thief, you can only backstabb with swords that thief is profienced with? Right?

IIRC, you can only backstab with melee weapons a pure-class thief can normally use. If it says "Not Usable by: Thief" or "Usable by: (Not Thief)", it won't work. Thus, backstab isn't limited to swords, daggers, and other sharp objects.

-Lem
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:07 AM   #8
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy:
McHaggis:

IIRC, you can only backstab with melee weapons a pure-class thief can normally use. If it says "Not Usable by: Thief" or "Usable by: (Not Thief)", it won't work. Thus, backstab isn't limited to swords, daggers, and other sharp objects.

-Lem
A long, long time ago in a thread far away from here, there was a topic on maximum damage potential with physical attacks. Character used: thief, weapon used: [ - ToB spoiler about the weapon !! USe ctrl+a to view weapon's name - ] Staff of the Ram + 6. Backstabbing with that quarterstaff resulted in 600+ damage IIRC. So backstabbing with something other than your typical thief weapons may even be more fruitful
Old 06-20-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

If you do Jarlaxle's quests and then turn on him, you can take him and Visaj down without much effort. Go for Visaj first, however, as he likes to cast an ADHW that can fry people like Jan, and also because as soon as Jarlaxle dies, the party gets booted back to Ust Natha.

The pair carry no interesting loot (a Dagger+2, whoop dee doo), but are worth some nice EXP. And if you really love your Spacebar, you can keep the Gilded Rope and Deirex's Gems as souveneirs.