Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2001, 12:59 PM   #51
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Dreamer, no need to edit. Anyway, if you have read the bible once that is more than most people have done! All credit to you!
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks, i think everyone should read it at least once.
After reading it, i began to serieusly dislike the intire human species and what it has become.

Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 01:09 PM   #52
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Fljotsdale giggles hysterically!!

Dreamer, I have read it Sooooooo many times! Can you imagine how I feel, if just ONE reading affected you that way?

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 02:15 PM   #53
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Fljotsdale giggles hysterically!!

Dreamer, I have read it Sooooooo many times! Can you imagine how I feel, if just ONE reading affected you that way?

--------------------------------------------------------------
I don´t wanna know.

Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 05:52 PM   #54
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well I've read it countless times. I read two books yesterday in fact, and I love humanity, I love people. I love certain people more than others of course, but still....

Dreamer I think there are many "reluctant" believers who believe despite not wanting to. I had a big debate with Jerome about this - you can't apply your own reasoning to someone else. You have no idea why someone else believes in the afterlife, firstly because you don't, but even if you did, people believe differently for different reasons.

No there is no certainty, but why attempt to belittle something that gives such hope, joy and reason for living to so many people. Just because it's not your cup of tea is no reason to cast judgement on an afterlife believers mental process.

Thanks for reading.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 05:57 PM   #55
Fljotsdale

Yorick? For myself, the bible never made me dislike people. It sure made me dislike god, though!
Jesus is fine. But Jesus is not god.

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-13-2001, 06:16 PM   #56
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
But Jesus is not god.

In your humble opinion

We'll have to agree to disagree.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 06:43 PM   #57
Lord Shield

Going back to the Deja Vu question, I find I get the sensation when an even t during the day matches what I DREAMT some time ago, not a nanosecond ago
As for the Bible, there have been many versions. The oldest legible version would be the Apocrypha which has some interesting bits EXCLUDED or INTERPRETED by the church in further editions (recommend reading it to see what I mean)
Old 05-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #58
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

In your humble opinion

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Um. No. Well, partly! 'Cos I believe it. But mostly in Jesus' humble opinion!
He NEVER called himself god. Said he was the SON of god. Apostles and disciples never called him god, either, only SON of god. In fact, nowhere in the bible is Jesus called god, except in one place, where the original Greek makes clear that he was 'with god and the Word was a god. This one was in the beginning with god.' The words in Greek used for god here were 'ton theon'=the god, (referring to God) and 'theos'=a god (referring to Jesus).
Obviously, the son of god would BE a god, but not THE god. (all info taken from the footnote to John 1:1. Nothing to do with me, lol!)
Sheesh! I think I shall stay out of this thread from now on. I'm giving lessons in the bible and I'm an ATHEIST, for pete's sake!

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-13-2001, 09:36 PM   #59
n00bies
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think live would just be to.. boring if you don't put your faith in something "divine" whichever god you believe in. I was becoming less and less spiritual but i realized life was just to repetitive, wake up school homework 5 times a week, found it became to boring and that there had to be something else. I believe that we're here to learn what we didn't learn in past lives. What is it to experience this, and that and to experience everything possible. When you die depending if you learned lessons from the past or if you still have to pay for the past things you've done (karma) then you either reincarnate or go up there. I think a reason humans are on earth is because we thought ourselves better then "god" (whatever you believe in) kind of saying "i think i can become more powerful then this guy" so we were put on earth to learn lessons and will stay on earth until we get the picture. Could go much further into this but you would have a lot to read about

------------------
"Life has no meaning but what we give it. I wish a few more of ye would give it a little" -Elminster of Shadowdale
n00bies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:19 PM   #60
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I used to be athiest, I suppose, growing up...I did not have parents that cared about religion, although they professed to be "southern Baptists". I was convinced that the Bible was written by Religious leaders that wanted to govern the world, and using man's fear of death as their tool for succeeding in it, thus if you lived the way your religious leaders said, you get rewarded...if not, you're punished.
Then, I was approached by some friends that provoked me to begin thinking about it. This was in the year 1994, November. I decided that it really mattered to know the truth, and not just speculate. After a few months,(and I will spare you the story, as most of you would not seem to care about it, anyway), I found my answer, then a year later, decided I had to become a missionary in order to share the wealth, as you might put it. I could not imagine receiving such a wonderful answer to my prayers, and then just keeping it silent. Thus I lived in Mexico for two years, gaining a further testimony for myself, and helping others feel the good that I had felt.
I hope my little story here does not provoke anyone from disfellowshipping me, for I do not hold one's personal beliefs against them, though many people hold it against me, already.

------------------

Larry, a Loyal Guardian of the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote