Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2000, 04:12 AM   #1
legend

I cant get into the town hall in the beginning and yes i DO have characters in my party. Do I have to do something first, I cant get into the wizard place either
Old 12-14-2000, 04:29 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Are you running Windows ME - there is a problem with town scenery when running windows 2000. If you are, first check the patch info on the Ironwoods site to see if that was something they fixed. If so, install the patch. If not, do a search of the forum for Windows 2000 (don't forget to select the W&W forum only). There is a way of fixing this, if that is your problem.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 04:30 AM   #3
xenotoca

are you running windows 2000 . W&W was not designed for W2000 but the only problem is the town scenes are compressed Avi files. Below is a copy of a previous post that solves the problem.

I had the problem of not being able to exit Ishad N'ha. I also didn't have a mages' guild I could access in Valeia. Turns out this is a well-known Windows 2000 issue, and there is an easy fix for it.

The towns are basically movie files. The left and right arrows move you forward and backward in the videos. The makers of Wizards and Warriors chose to put these movies into compressed format. While the call they use to run these movies in the town screen works for Windows 95/98 and also works for Windows 2000 if the movies are not compressed it does not work for Windows 2000 if the movies are compressed.

Simple solution, uncompress the movie files.

There are six files that all end up being about 32 MB each once they are uncompressed (so you will need about 180MB more disk space). They are in a subdirectory of the game directory (might be called town) and they all have the extention .avi. You need to download a program called VirtualDub (or any other program that can read in compressed and write out uncompressed movie files) from the internet, install it, and use it to uncompress the video files. This mostly consists of opening the files and saving them under a different filename, then deleting the old (compressed) files and changing the names of the uncompressed versions.

Once done you just run Wizards and Warriors and you should be able to get out of Ishad N'ha, as well as being able to enter several more locations in both Ishad N'ha and Valeia that you couldn't before.

If you don't have Windows 2000 I'm afraid you have a bug I am not familiar with and this advice probably won't help you. You could try it anyway, it won't hurt (aside from using up more hard drive space), but it probably won't help either.

Either way, good luck

I can't claim credit for discovering this. I was helped by both Wizards and Warriors tech support (which is aware of the problem and told me some general information but didn't know of a specific program to fix the problem) and Eldurin, a poster on this board, who gave me the specific name and URL of VirtualDub. Thanks Eldurin.