Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2000, 08:00 PM   #1
Chimpy

Where can I find this guy? I spoke to him and told him that I was going to slaughter him and he DimensionWarped. Can someone tell me where he can be found so I can kill him??
Old 08-24-2000, 08:20 PM   #2
Wretched

I did the same thing as you... gave away the fact that I was going to kill him, so he cast Dimension Door and was gone before I could do anything to him. I personally just sorta shrugged and continued on my way... however, I've heard that he does appear somewhere else in the city, because someone (who posted in a message board long ago) told a story of how they clicked on him to attack before he disappeared, and their characters followed him to his new location.

He is there somewhere, but I don't know where. If you saved the game before talking to him, you could try it again and see if you can click on him before he vanishes. Hopefully, your chars will follow him to his new location and attack. Alternatively, you could just attack the bastage without talking to him, which is somehow less satisfying in my eyes (he doesn't know why he's going to die in that case!)
Old 08-24-2000, 08:39 PM   #3
sibley

Not that it really matters, but why do you think Nym is telling the truth when he claims to have caused the rift between the elves and dwarfs?
Old 08-25-2000, 05:05 AM   #4
dragonslayer
Manshoon

If it is the drow elf in Lower Dorns Deep I think I know where he goes. I just left my fighters attacking him and they ran after him to the top of the middle building. That's where their leader goes after he talks to you.
dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2000, 02:43 PM   #5
Wretched

The only reason anyone has to believe Nym is telling the truth, is by the simple fact that he knows about it at all. Certainly, there are other ways he could have found out, but since the quest is incomplete, all we have to go in is the fact that SOMEONE sold those weapons to the monsters, and I don't think the dwarves would ever have done it themselves... after all, dwarves do have a strong sense of honor, and why would they arm their worst enemies with powerful magic, even if they DID hate the elves?

That means an outside force did the job, and Nym fits the bill in that he could have gotten access to the coffers, and brags about having done so to a bunch of strangers who seem heavily interested in all the wares he has.

The prosecution rests.
Old 08-25-2000, 05:10 PM   #6
sibley

The quest is incomplete? What quest? There's no quest to find out who or what caused the rift between the elves and dwarfs. There's no such thing mentioned in the hint book. And reports from people who kill Nym are that they can't find anyone who will reward them for the deed.
Old 08-27-2000, 01:02 PM   #7
Erekose
The Magister

A valid point sibley but he is an evil drow and deserves to face the sharp end of a longsword. I have killed him once. I surrounded him and spoke to him, then he dimension doors away but my characters chased him and he ended up on top of the deep gnome shrine where they beat the tar out of him(no pun intended). He only had a few gold on him, so apart from the satisfaction of ending his life there isn't much material gain. The fact Nym sells the staff of Morridin really doesn't help his case any. I think it's quite likely Nym did play a part in the trouble between the elves and the dwarves but it was also their own predices that lead to their destruction. Very circular? Cheers
Erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2000, 03:40 PM   #8
MojoMonkey

in any case, its best to buy the Staff from Nym before you kill him...its also a good idea to stock up on his +2 arrows and Acid Arrows before the deed is done. the Staff saved my butt during a few battles where my guys kept falling and i kept raising them.

after cleaning him out...then kill him, heh.
Old 09-19-2000, 09:57 PM   #9
Wretched

The quest is incomplete? What quest? There's no quest to find out who or what caused the rift between the elves and dwarfs. There's no such thing mentioned in the hint book. And reports from people who kill Nym are that they can't find anyone who will reward them for the deed.

Umm... that's exactly the point, sibley.. if you got a reward from killing Nym (after he confesses to causing the problems between the Elves and the Dwarves) it wouldn't exactly be an incomplete quest, now would it?

The reason hint books don't talk about it, is because they tend to focus on what's actually in the game. The quest to get some kindof reward for finding out what happened between the Severed Hand and Dorn's deep simply was never put into the game.... thus hintbooks would never talk about how to "solve" this non-existent quest.

I sincerely hope an expansion for IWD is released, just so they can tie up alot of loose ends like this and make a complete game... but hopefully add a bit more to the storyline and gameplay as well.
Old 09-21-2000, 07:31 PM   #10
Maff

I should really stop listening to you people. I'm only half way through the game, and I'm spoiling it for myself. BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF.
DAMN you guys are SO COMPELLING.
I used to play AD&D as a nipper, and it's a pleasure to get back into it. I can't put the game down, and I'm kicking... well I don't know what I'm kicking but I'm kicking SOMETHING.
(it's dark down here)
Blah blah.