Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, it's actually my solo bard that is Disliked, but I can't figure out why his Reputation would be so low (8). So far, I've done the Circus Quest, killed Pebblecrusher and his minions at 7 Vales Inn, defeated the Slavers in the Copper Coronet (putting Hendak in charge of the C.C.) AND cleared out the Slaver's HQ. From there, I went to Trademeet, accepted the quests, and cleared out the Druid Grove. I defeated Faldorn (by using CNTRL-Y), killed the Rakshasas for he Djinn and returned to Trademeet as a bona-fide hero. I DID steal a bunch of loot from some of the vendors, but I Re-loaded any games where my theft attempts failed. My Bard is Neutral Good and I have taken the "Good Path" in all the quests so far.

After receive a hero's welcome back at Trademeet, I was approached by two nobles - each of which wanted me to retrieve an item from a crypt in the local graveyard which would supposedly prove their family was the one true "noble" family of Trademeet. The mayor approached me just before I entered the crypt and explained that the two families had a long history of bad blood and feuding between them. He also said that they were both descended from the same ancestor - so both of them are equal status regarding their nobility.

I entered the crypt and defeated the guardians (after very many attempts). I then Saved two versions of the game. In Version one, I returned the Mantle I found to Lady Luxxarol (who had approached me first). The other noble Lord showed up and both of the ingrates attacked ME. I killed them and found a KICKING set of armor on the Noble Dude (Elvin Chain that allows me to wear it and STILL cast spells [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] ). After the battel, the mayor showed up and "chastised" my bard, but it didn't affect my reputation.

I then went back and did Version 2, where I just returned the Mantle to the Mayor to avoid bloodshed between the nobles (which is what my Bard would do from a Roleplaying standpoint). The mayor was very grateful and my reputation increased by 1. I was excited until I realized that the Rep Increase just brought my Rep back up to 9. . When I checked my stats in Version 1, I found out that my Rep had indeed dropped down to 8 at some point in time.

I have NO IDEA what I did to lose Rep points, and it isn't really a big deal. I still have PLENTY of time and quests available to raise it up to 19 or 20 by the end of the game. But I just wonder what I've done to lose Rep points in the first place.

The only "Non-Good" thing I've done is steal from some of the merchants in town and at Trademeet. But as I said, I reloaded ANY game where my attempts failed - so I shouldn't have lost any Rep from that.

So I'm wondering if anybody else can tell me what I did to lose the Reputation I had?
Old 08-01-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Andraste
Manshoon

You might have killed someone by accident. I was once in the middle of a battle and a stupid beggar walked into one of my cloudkills. I hadn't spotted the beggar, and he died very quickly. I only just caught sight of the 'lose 5 rep points' message as it zipped up the text box. I paused, scrolled back and realised what had happened. If I hadn't spotted teh message it might have been some time before I noticed what had happened to my reputation.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You are diliked because you're ugly and your momma dresses you funny. *runs*

Erm... I mean, back on topic --

YEah, that may have happened in your Trademeet fight. Of course, you should have played it the way that allowed you to get KICKIN' armor for you bard, no matter what. The good thing about Amn is that gold to a church can atone for any sin.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Andraste:
You might have killed someone by accident. I was once in the middle of a battle and a stupid beggar walked into one of my cloudkills. I hadn't spotted the beggar, and he died very quickly. I only just caught sight of the 'lose 5 rep points' message as it zipped up the text box. I paused, scrolled back and realised what had happened. If I hadn't spotted teh message it might have been some time before I noticed what had happened to my reputation.
I did try running out of the crypt a few times and found that the skeletons and skeleton warriors followed me. There is a "militia wizard" right outside the Graveyard Gates and he would jump into the fight - only to be killed shortly thereafter. However, I killed ALL of the skeletons and the two warriors inside the crypt in the final battle.

The only thing I can think of is the fight between the two "philosophers" when I first got rid of the Djinni's. One's a pacifist and the other isn't. The pacifist is quickly killed. I also saw a fight between two guards of the warring noble families in the Inn when I went to rest and memorize spells before entering the crypt. I didn't interfere in either fight, so maybe that's what caused the drop in rep. I don't know. I do know that I haven't had ANY fights in public myself.

Well, like I said, I'm just trying to figure out what caused my Rep to drop so much - and I really wish I would have caught it when it happened so I could have gone back done it over.

Timber - As a Neutral Good character, I'm more inclined to help keep the peace. But I admit that - as a Bard - I am much more "self-centered" than if I was playing a Ranger or some other class. Due to Bards having a "Rougish" background, it doesn't bother him to steal from merchants - even when he has enough money to buy what he wants. It goes back to his early days of living by his wits on the streets and surviving hand-to-mouth. There are also plenty of real-life examples of "good people" that have an unexpected "bad trait". In the original AD&D comics, one of the main characters was a paladin that also happened to be an alcoholic. I thought that was a great illustration of how a "goody-two shoes" character could be made much more interesting by adding a serious character flaw. Alcoholism doesn't conflict with a Lawful Good alignment. And stealing doesn't necessarily conflict with a good alignment - Robin Hood is the best example of that. Of course, my bard just steals from the rich and keeps for himself, but that's because he was one of the poor for so long.

Oh, and the Elvin Chain only added 1 point to my AC anyway. With Bracers AC8, Armor, Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin and my Dexterity - my AC is -4. The Elvin Chain did drop it to -5, but that was all. Still, I've got some tough fights ahead before getting the Melodic Elvin Chain from the Astral Prison - so I might keep the regular Elvin Chain after all.

[ 08-01-2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 08-01-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Acoustic Ferret
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Go to a temple and pay them 1,000 gold and you'll earn a rep. point. Just do that til its high thats what i always do
Old 08-01-2004, 08:09 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Acoustic Ferret:
Go to a temple and pay them 1,000 gold and you'll earn a rep. point. Just do that til its high thats what i always do.
As I said before, I'm not overly concerned about gaining the Reputation back. I know I can get increased fairly easily and quickly. I'm just befuddled as to what caused it to drop so much in the first place.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
whathuh
The Magister

as much as you dont think you killed an innocent, im pretty sure thats what happened. killing an innocent at rep 20 drops you right back down to 10 (how's that fair). Heres a tip for getting 20 rep through donations tho (you can only get up to 18). Get Viconcia in your party, donate up to 18, then boot her. Your rep should increase 2.
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:14 AM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by whathuh:
as much as you dont think you killed an innocent, im pretty sure thats what happened. killing an innocent at rep 20 drops you right back down to 10 (how's that fair). Heres a tip for getting 20 rep through donations tho (you can only get up to 18). Get Viconcia in your party, donate up to 18, then boot her. Your rep should increase 2.
I agree that I must have done something like that without realizing it, I just can't figure out when or where I would have done it.I simply do not remember casting any AoE spells in Trademeet where an innocent could have been accidentally caught in it.

Oh well, the mayor and merchants are still very friendly to me despite the drop in Rep, so I'll just carry on and raise it through the rest of the quests.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by whathuh:
If I'm not mistaken, the reason that your rep goes up after you boot Viconia is that it dropped two when you picked her up. So you don't actually net any rep points using this little trick.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, you do.

Player has 12 Rep.
Player gets Viconia.
Player now has 10 Rep.
Player donates to get 18 Rep.
Player dumps Viconia.
Player gets 20 Rep.

ADD] The trick here is to bypass the 18 cap imposed by the Temples on donations for Rep.

[ 08-04-2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote