Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2001, 07:36 AM   #1
VTEC_Redge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey peops... I'm new to this place, and this game. I'm familiar with RPG's (mainly FF7), and a friend of mine told be Baldur's Gate was a good game... and Baldur's Gate II was even better etc...

So, can people tell me what they think, without spoilers? That'd be cool. And what is it about?

------------------
"I am just a worthless liar
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you
Trust in me and fall as well
I will find a centre in you
I will chew it up and leave
I will work to elevate you
Just enough to bring you down...."
>TOOL - Sober
Old 05-08-2001, 07:37 AM   #2
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

hehe just thought id pop in and say hi you should get a few replies pretty quick altho its abit quiet at the mo

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-08-2001, 07:51 AM   #3
Lord Shield

Hi, new one!
BG1 and BG2 are both good games. I recommend for BG1:
Tales of the Sword Coast (download the patch)
Dakside of the Sword Coast (downloadable only)
get the most from your games!

Old 05-08-2001, 08:04 AM   #4
VTEC_Redge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nice attitude to have! Thanx for that little piece of advice... now... can anyone tell me what the general idea of BG1 is? ie. situation? Anything to give me an indication...

------------------
I am just an imbecile
>TOOL - Sober
Old 05-08-2001, 08:15 AM   #5
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

BGI: Someone is after you and killed your mentor. You acquire compainions along the way (that you control) that can help you, if you wish. There are certain goals you must reach, people you can help (quests) to help you attain more skill and gold to help you servive in the wilderness (buy more stuff). Eventually you find clues as towards your persecutors and you also find more about yourself.

BGII: Sometime soon after BGI you find yourself being held captive due to the info you found out in BGI. Some of your possible companions are here, too. They help you escape and then one of them gets in trouble and you have to help free them. But you need to raise $$$$ for this, and in the Inn, there are people who need help (quests). Some of these people can join you and help your cause. (npcs) You are a much higher level in this game, and so are the enemies you face. And the puzzles are a tad harder, too.

I hope this helps!

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Old 05-08-2001, 08:17 AM   #6
Lord Shield

It's best playable if you don't know, because the character has no idea either, until later on

Old 05-08-2001, 08:24 AM   #7
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Have you actually purchased the game? If so, the game does a good job of filling in the blanks for you as you go. The mystery of what is going on is the best part. In this case, Black Knight's summary is about as much as you want to know for now, IMHO.

If you haven't purchased the game(s) yet...I would suggest starting out with BG1 and then proceeding into BG2...the storyline/plot is more linear that way.

You should expect about 300 hours of gaming time out of BG2 and not much less out of BG1.

Welcome and enjoy!

P.S. - Black Knight did not mention that this is a party-based game. You play one character and get to add people that you meet (NPCs) to your party. Some of the best parts in the game (IMHO) revolve around interaction with NPCs.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-08-2001, 08:24 AM   #8
VTEC_Redge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have absolutely no idea! I haven't seen or heard anything about the game... I'd only heard Azurewolf tell me constantly it was really good and that I should play it etc.

Black Knight: Thanks for that! Sounds pretty cool from that indication!

------------------
I am just an imbecile
>TOOL - Sober
Old 05-08-2001, 08:26 AM   #9
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by VTEC_Redge:
I have absolutely no idea! I haven't seen or heard anything about the game... I'd only heard Azurewolf tell me constantly it was really good and that I should play it etc.

Black Knight: Thanks for that! Sounds pretty cool from that indication!

and that's all you need to know - join in the mystery and find out as you go along!

Old 05-08-2001, 08:28 AM   #10
VTEC_Redge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Throntar: Thanks for your reply! I won't have a problem with it being party based, because of other RPGs (such as Star Ocean and Final Fantasy) being orientated much the same way. No, I haven't bought any of the games yet, but from the indications I'm getting, it's looking like a foregone conclusion!

------------------
I am just an imbecile
>TOOL - Sober