Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2001, 12:34 AM   #1
Orb
Welcomed New User

Just wondering what kind of weapons i should start to practice.
Orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:23 AM   #2
Leonidas
Dungeon Master

Are you starting new in ToB, or bringing over a SoA save? There are tons of weapons that can be upgraded early to +5 or +6. Clubs, spears, axes, swords of all flavors, etc. I think you should come up with some kind of background story for your character(s), and just pick a personal preferences for each, inc. the NPCs. Have a blast!!!

Minor spoiler...
My Cav just got a +3 axe upgraded to a +5, and it gives +1 AC, 1 pt con, and regenerate at +3/rd!!! He can finally carry a shield again! He got tired of being hammered by fire giants...

------------------
Be careful! I think it's a tr...
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 01:20 PM   #3
Greadius
The Magister

If you have a paladin, two handers... you'll never find a better weapon than the holy avenger... even two dual wielded weapons. No arguement here from me, that dispel magic per hit is worth every other weapon in the game, especially in ToB where the number of magical protections increases...

As far as one handers go, flail of the ages just gets better... the axe mentioned in the previous post is an amazing weapon and WORTH taking axes just for that... especially if it is dual wielded. There are some VERY good longswords in ToB (The Answerer and Foebane). Other than that, alot of it is preferance. Keep in mind what the rest of your party is proficient in so you can balance the great weapons out.
Greadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 01:55 PM   #4
trux

and let's not forget KATANAS. they're awesome. two-handed swords and long swords are good. axes, warhammers, bows and crossbows. and like Greadius said, make sure your party has a variety of different weapon proficiences. if you don't it's kinda boring and you won't be able to utilize all the different types of cool weapons in SoA and ToB.

------------------
--
trux
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:02 PM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Orb,

I agree with Leonidas 100%. The designers have worked very hard to incorporate kick-ass weapons of every type. Just pick whatever you prefer and do a little role-playing. If you pick weapon proficiencies and character classes based upon weapons that you know are available, you'll end up feeling short-changed (with the possible exception of Carsomyr and Paladins having 2-hander proficiency).

Right off the top of my head I can think of a kick-ass weapon for all of the below:

katanas
axes
longswords
Two-handed swords
Shortswords
Daggers
Slings
Longbows
Shortbows
Crossbows
Flails
Maces
Halberds
Spears
Staves
War Hammers

I think the *only* item I can think of that got short-changed in SoA and I don't think has been fixed in ToB (but won't swear to it...) is the Bastard Sword. Don't waste your time on that proficiency.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 03:01 PM   #6
Hanz123
The Magister

Besides all the above, are there any good (long) bows in TOB? And can they be upgraded?
Hanz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 05:13 PM   #7
Greadius
The Magister

Bastard sword has the Foebane...+5 with larlochs minor drain on every hit. I have keldorn equiped with this and I sometimes end fights where he has 200hp's. Not that I have any idea what larlochs minor drains DOES, but it seems to be a very nice sword.
If I could just find my BG2 manual...
Greadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 07:23 PM   #8
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

The Foesbane bastard sword +5 will drain 1-4 hp from your foes and give that 1-4 hp's to you. The drain spell is a level 1 spell that does that.
sunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 07:30 PM   #9
Encard
Quintesson

Axe (Axe of the Unyielding or however it's called is great, you get it early on, one of the game's best weapons, since it's a +5 axe, regen 3 hp/round, +1 CON, +1 AC bonus, 10% chance instant death by decapitation), Longsword (there's a great one, can't remember exactly what though), Katana (Celestial Fury...), 2-Handed sword for a Paladin (HOLY AVENGER...!!!), Warhammer (Crom Fayer).

------------------
Bow down to the Weasels of Apocalypse! RaBid Fruit Trees! RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Miniature Exploding Demonic Demons of Doom, Death and Desruction!
:1drgat1:
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 07:45 PM   #10
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

ToB weapon SPOILERS:
>
>
>
>
>
Personally I prefer warhammers, especially with the upgradable Runehammer and the Crom Faeyr. Other note mentioning weapons are 2-handed sword (Gram the Sword of Grief[upgradable], Psion's Blade, Holy Avenger[upgradable]), flail (Flail of Ages +5 [2 extra flail heads available]), scimitar class (Spectral Blade[upgradeable], Usuno's Blade), long sword (Angurradal[upgradable]), bastard sword (Foebane [need to be assemble])... etc.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote