Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #151
Jorath Calar
Harper

Welcome Dave, Great thread, I'm sorry I didn't bother reading it before... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway to stay on topic, I'm 29, from Iceland, working in a gasstation but looking for something better (as if).
Old 09-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #152
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
Well I am a guilty work poster.

Name mack age 32 male from Sherwood park Alberta.

Going to get back into some heavy posting. Since I am all settled down and in the new house. And work is starting to be routine once again. Oh I also work shift work as well. Hope to see you around on some late night sessions.

And howdey to all others.
oh YAY! Mack is back my buddy, my bestest friend in the whole wide world.... [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img] and hopes no one else takes offense to that post
Old 09-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #153
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Man, "Cerek," I bet that schedule was hell...how long did you do it?
It lasted for 3 months. It was rough because I was actually working 12 hours a day, but it was split up between two places. I would get home a little after 7am from the motel, call my g/f, then get in bed by 7:30. But I had to get up by 2pm in order to be at work at the hospital by 3pm. Got home from there at 7pm, called my g/f, and basically napped for a couple of hours before going back to the motel.

Friday night was my one redemption, because I didn't work weekends at the hospital. So I would usually sleep till 3 or 4, then get up and get ready for my Saturday Night Date with the g/f.

Dividing my sleeping time made me feel "half awake" and "half asleep" ALL the time. I didn't realize how bad it was until a customer came into the motel one Friday night and saw how totally bloodshot my eyes were. He took one look and said "Dude, either you're really tired...or you're doing some really good drugs".

I told him I didn't do drugs..and, YES, I WAS really tired.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:56 PM   #154
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Thanks stormy and others for the welcome. I finally have the house unpacked and the most important thing set up the computer.

Cerek that sounds crazy I had to have a nap after reading that.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #155
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
quote:
Man, "Cerek," I bet that schedule was hell...how long did you do it?
It lasted for 3 months. It was rough because I was actually working 12 hours a day, but it was split up between two places. I would get home a little after 7am from the motel, call my g/f, then get in bed by 7:30. But I had to get up by 2pm in order to be at work at the hospital by 3pm. Got home from there at 7pm, called my g/f, and basically napped for a couple of hours before going back to the motel.

Friday night was my one redemption, because I didn't work weekends at the hospital. So I would usually sleep till 3 or 4, then get up and get ready for my Saturday Night Date with the g/f.

Dividing my sleeping time made me feel "half awake" and "half asleep" ALL the time. I didn't realize how bad it was until a customer came into the motel one Friday night and saw how totally bloodshot my eyes were. He took one look and said "Dude, either you're really tired...or you're doing some really good drugs".
I told him I didn't do drugs..and, YES, I WAS really tired.
[/QUOTE]I did not work at a motel, but I did work the third shift at Waffle House (normal shift was 10 to 12 hours), and lived with my grandmother, who hated for anyone that was not her favorite grandchild to sleep past 7 in the morning, that was when I got home btw, after 2 months of very little sleep, I went to see my boyfriend, who is now my husband he was living with a frined of his. when I was there, I was so tired I could not hold my eyes open, so they gave my some amptriptline(sp?) and it had the oppisite effect they were going for...instead of knocking me out, it made me hyper, so I wound up not getting any sleep at all for almost a week, when I finally did crash, I slept for a very long time.

edit: Stormymystic, try and watch the tags on your quotes, I've noted you're having trouble with them lately. I fixed this one up. [img]smile.gif[/img] -- Cloudy
lol, I was just going to fix it [img]tongue.gif[/img] and yeah I have been having trouble lately, not sure why :/

[ 09-13-2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 09-13-2004, 09:58 PM   #156
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
I did not work at a motel, but I did work the third shift at Waffle House (normal shift was 10 to 12 hours), and lived with my grandmother, who hated for anyone that was not her favorite grandchild to sleep past 7 in the morning, that was when I got home btw, after 2 months of very little sleep, I went to see my boyfriend, who is now my husband he was living with a frined of his. when I was there, I was so tired I could not hold my eyes open, so they gave my some amptriptline(sp?) and it had the oppisite effect they were going for...instead of knocking me out, it made me hyper, so I wound up not getting any sleep at all for almost a week, when I finally did crash, I slept for a very long time.
Hey Stormy. There was a Waffle House right next to the motel. That's where I ate every "night" (actually it was around 1am by the time I got over there) when I worked.

But for marathon work schedules, a friend of my dad's pulled one of the most brutal jobs I ever heard of. He was hired by a contractor to help lay carpet in a new strip mall. I don't remember how many shops were there, but they only had about 3 weeks to get several hundred yards of carpet laid - so they worked about 20 hours a day, 7 days a week for the entire 3 weeks to get the job done on time. His wife later told us that - when he got back home - he slept for 3 straight days (getting up just long enough to use the bathroom occasionally and then going right back to bed).

I can't even imagine that level of fautigue. When I took my current job, we had to do our annual physical inventory about 3 months after I started. NONE of the information was on a computer. The entire inventory was done manually (which meant we had to list the item#, description and location of every single thing we counted in addition to actually writing down the quantity). My supervisor got upset because the process was taking too long (DUH) and she wanted to know WHEN the Inventory would be calculated and turned in. I told her I would stay at work round the clock until it was done. I ended up working about 44 straight hours to get it finished. That was 2 consecutive nights at work without sleep. I never even pulled 2 all-niters back to back in college. I went to work on Thursday morning and didn't get finished until around 4am on Saturday morning. When I got done, I went to an empty patient room and crawled into bed there at the hospital. Slept for about 4 hours, then got up and drove home - where I went BACK to bed until about 4pm that afternoon. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #157
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Ooooops, I seem to have taken Dave's thread off on another unintended tangent.

Sorry about that, Dave. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #158
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Good ole moderators! They're always there for us...well, at least I think they are...though we know so little of them...I wish THEY would partake in this little exercise here...(besides the couple who already have...kudos to you all!)

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #159
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Good ole moderators! They're always there for us...well, at least I think they are...though we know so little of them...I wish THEY would partake in this little exercise here...(besides the couple who already have...kudos to you all!)
That's cuz we're all in the mod jacuzzi room stealing Memnoch's towels.

[ 09-13-2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 PM   #160
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
Ooooops, I seem to have taken Dave's thread off on another unintended tangent.

Sorry about that, Dave. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Its ok, because you put my name in yellow. Any other colour and you would face the wrath of Mr Dave!! MWHAHAH. Sorry. Im delirious at the mo.

As for tangents, well, if you cant tell from my posts and, to be more exact, this thread, I LUURVE tangents [img]tongue.gif[/img]

One last crazy note: I cant believe your age! Tis funny, I always pictured you to be early 20's. Hrmm.. stop making judgements Dave [img]smile.gif[/img]