Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 03:33 AM   #1
deverece
Dungeon Master

I thought the whole purpose of the game was to beat it. The people who say traps make the fight too easy obviously have lost touch with reality. This esoteric argument is based on the fact that these 'purists' are cheating by saving before fighting. Try not saving all day, THEN fight a dragon. I would imagine the thought of losing so many hours of playtime over and over would greatly influence their opinion of an 'easy' win using traps.

------------------
Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
- Josey Wales
Old 03-16-2001, 06:13 AM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

I agree, Deverece ! Traps are a Thief's way to deal with monsters, as much as attacking is a Fighter's way. It is part of the game.

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 12:17 PM   #3
Charean
Hathor

Moiraine has the right of it - heck, if I can get better at setting those things up, I will have to try it... it beats the heck out of resurrecting myself on a regular basis...

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?
Old 03-16-2001, 03:47 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I agree that traps aren't cheating, but I think that the arguement being made by the other side is that setting traps around a dragon with him watching you and not doing anything about it is cheating. They would argue that it is unrealistic for a dragon to just sit there and watch a thief set traps right around him.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 03-16-2001, 03:51 PM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

why is it not realistic?
if the dragon can think for himself, then...

but there isn't a dragon, so it doesnt matter if the dragon can think for himself or not.
since it doesnt matter the dragon cannot think for himself, it doesn't matter what the thief does.
if what the thief does does not matter, then it does not matter if it is cheating or not.
if it does not matter it is cheating or not, it does not matter if you care or not
if it does not matter you care or not, it does not matter ...

lol
Old 03-16-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Now gobble up your own tail, Elminster, lol! Besides, the argument is based on a false premise! There IS a dragon just as much as there IS a Thief. The fact that both are made of pixels is beside the point!
It follows that it is unrealistic for the dragon - the wisest of creatures - to not notice trap-setting under its nose!
F.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:04 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Now gobble up your own tail, Elminster, lol! Besides, the argument is based on a false premise! There IS a dragon just as much as there IS a Thief. The fact that both are made of pixels is beside the point!
It follows that it is unrealistic for the dragon - the wisest of creatures - to not notice trap-setting under its nose!
F.
maybe he is not so wise, or maybe he never saw ... YES I GOT IT!!

you see, the dragon is so mighty, NONE dared to try and set traps in front of him. but this thief of yours is so smarty, he knew the dragon doesn't know what traps are, so he set them in front him hoping the dragon does not have a clue.

daring, but TRICKY!!!

Old 03-16-2001, 04:18 PM   #8
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

ROFL!! Ok, ok, you win, you made me laugh!
F.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:18 PM   #9
Moiraine
Anubis

If the Dragon does not notice you setting traps right under his nose, that's his problem, not yours ...

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 05:30 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Yes, I guess it is the dragons problem and not mine. I suppose that if I used cheat codes, that would also be the dragons problem and not mine.

BGII is modeled after D&D - Correct?

In D&D there is a DM - Correct?
BGII has a computer playing the roll of DM

I propose that a human DM would not allow a thief to set traps around a dragon without some retribution from the dragon. The reason the DM would do this is because if the dragon did nothing, it would be unrealistic.

It can be argued that the dragons in the game observe very little in common with the awe inspiring dragons in the Forgotten realms books, but I don't think that anyone would say that a dragon is blind or stupid.

I don't honestly think that it is cheating to use traps around a dragon when he does nothing about it, but I do think that it is unrealistic. If you don't try for realism in the game, I would argue that you might as well cheat, because you are getting the same effect in the long run.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.