Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
pschub
Dungeon Master

I am only able to customize the main characters portrait. Is this normal?
pschub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Yes, I think so. The NPC records screen don't have the option to customise the portrait...
Old 04-15-2002, 10:31 PM   #3
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by pschub:
I am only able to customize the main characters portrait. Is this normal?
Yes, but you can change the NPC portraits by naming the portraits you want to use appropriately and placing them in the "Portraits" folder. If you want specific info on how to do it, let me know and I will post it.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:22 AM   #4
pschub
Dungeon Master

Katherine ... please do
pschub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

For example.....let's say you hate Coran's picture (and I know you do). You find a picture of a good-lookin' male with pointy ears, probably some armor, and maybe a bow. Get two copies of that picture, and each copy needs to be in bitmap format (*.BMP), as well as the correct size (Katherine probably knows). Now take your new improved Coran pictures, name them CoranL.bmp and CoranS.bmp (for the large and small versions), and put them in your BG1\Portraits directory. Shazam! I actually found this out by accident, too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 10:16 PM   #6
Billy Yank
The Magister

I believe you need to put the portraits in the BG1\override directory to change the NPC portraits.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:53 PM   #7
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Yank:
I believe you need to put the portraits in the BG1\override directory to change the NPC portraits.
No, they go in the "Portraits" folder.

Six is, as always, correct, except there is a catch to some of the NPCs... They were hard-coded to look for very specific portrait names. Some do follow the standard format, others do not. Some require UPPER CASE and others do not. The best way to find out the exact name you should use is to open Infinity Explorer and look in the .bmp folder and see what they named the NPC portrait and name your new portrait exactly the same thing.

For the exact sizing and color depth the program requires for portraits, just look at the program's "Readme" file or do a search on this same topic in this forum.