Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
2faced
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just installed Tactics and Improved Ilyich the day before. So far, with a generic archer, neutral evil, with Imoen, Minsc, and Jaheira, it's been pretty tough, which I guess is what I've been looking for. One question: what weapons are needed to hit the greater otyugh in the sewer room? Minsc with a 2H sword and I think my longbow-wielding PC as well get "Weapon Ineffectives." I want to avoid using offensive spells, if possible, so I don't need to rest as often, so it would be useful to be able to get some hits in on it.

P.S. Any extra tips on this dungeon would be very nice as well.
2faced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Hmm...well looking back at my journal apparently both Minsc and myself were attacking it. If memory serves, I had a +1 longsword and I probably got Minsc to use the +1 quarterstaff. Don't forget the +1 dagger behind the painting either.

He's quite nasty actually, got some pretty deadly summons and an evil surprise when he bites the dust - its worth the offensive spells IMO. Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Extra tips: Do everything before you think about taking on Improved Ilyich - this includes the second level.

Oh, and welcome to the forums [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 04-23-2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Demonheart
Elite Waterdeep Guard

probably a lot easier to use up your offensive spells on the otyugh and kill it quickly, then rest and take on the 2 guys, than it is to try killing it without spells if you are having trouble
Demonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
2faced
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, shamrock_uk. And yeah, you guys were right...I ended up blasting him with a couple fireballs and stinking cloud and finishing him off with a swipe from Minsc's 2H sword. Managed to answer my own question--with Ctrl-Q, I could see he was 100% missile immune.
As per your advice, I went through the whole dungeon and now I'm coming back to give Ilyich a try..or two..or a dozen...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
whathuh
The Magister

Hehe, to kill him, I just used my assassin and his trusty bow. All you have to do is waste his dolorous decay, then peg him from afar with poison and a shortbow. Best way to get him is to backstab first with poison on, then retreat into a small area and shoot him to death.

As far as I know, he's got no weapon immunities, but he DOES have 100% missile resistance.
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
D*Ranged

Quote:
Originally posted by whathuh:
Hehe, to kill him, I just used my assassin and his trusty bow. All you have to do is waste his dolorous decay, then peg him from afar with poison and a shortbow. Best way to get him is to backstab first with poison on, then retreat into a small area and shoot him to death.

As far as I know, he's got no weapon immunities, but he DOES have 100% missile resistance.
But isn't the otyughs immune to piercing weapons in general?

I get how you killed it but just wondering...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I'm fairly sure Imoen didn't do too much with her bow so you're probably right D*Ranged. I ended up using her to soak up the Dolorous Decay (as she had more than 10 HP remaining unlike everyone else [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and then hiding her out of sight because she was having no impact.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #8
2faced
Elite Waterdeep Guard

D*Ranged: The poison. The physical arrow damage did nothing, but the poison did, or so I assume.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:20 AM   #9
JayS
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
I'm fairly sure Imoen didn't do too much with her bow so you're probably right D*Ranged. I ended up using her to soak up the Dolorous Decay (as she had more than 10 HP remaining unlike everyone else [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and then hiding her out of sight because she was having no impact.
Doesn't Imoen's belt give her immunity to Dolorous Decay?
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:52 AM   #10
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

i thought it was only there to stop her from dying