Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2002, 10:13 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Is it possible to install BG2:SoA and BG2:ToB on the same machine, different folders?

The reason that I ask is that I really want to play through ToB single player again. But the multiplayer group I'm with is only playing BG2:SoA. Needless to say, I don't want to have to back everything up, uninstall ToB, reinstall SoA, play multiplayer, then reinstall ToB every week! We only play multiplay one day a week, but I've pledged to stick with them through it. Both of them are reluctant to upgrade to ToB.

So is there a way? If not, is there a way that I can back up certain files and folders (like BG2main.exe, dialog.tlk, and the Override folder) for each game and just switch them in and out of the main BGII-SoA folder? Or does the registry change so that no matter what I do, the multiplayer server won't recognize me?

If anyone knows the answer or a workaround solution, please let me know!

Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:26 AM   #2
Vedran
Lord Soth

Download ModSwitcher utility. I had it, trying to play TDD and ToB simultaneously. It ended with catastrophe! But it will probably be painless for ToB only.

Eilistraee bless those good souls from TeamBG!
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:35 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:
Download ModSwitcher utility. I had it, trying to play TDD and ToB simultaneously. It ended with catastrophe! But it will probably be painless for ToB only.

Eilistraee bless those good souls from TeamBG!
OOOH! Thanks, Vedran! You rock! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Will give it a try this evening.

-Sazerac

Old 10-10-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Mod switcher wont work, because TOB is *not* a mod, it actualy changes the program code. (Among other things, it adds the tab key highlight function).

Now you want something that will work, right? Sorry, cant be much help. There are registry changes to deal with as well I think. The only simple(ish) way to do it would be to have two machines (or, cheaper, two OSes on one machine) and have seperate installs. Most people will have to by an extra HDD to do that at the least, although Partition Magic might be some use if you have >10 Gb free on your existing drive. And it cant be done with two win98s, at least one OS must be NT kernel - thats NT, 2K or XP.

WHich reminds me, it might be possible under XP with two seperate accounts, I think you can tell it to keep the program local to the account, but im not familiar enough with XP to say for certain.

It might - and I have to say here that I dont think so - be possible to write an app that would switch the exe files around as well as the chitin.key and dialogue.tlk, and maybe one or two extra files. If you did that, and gave your MP friends a copy of the ToB override folder, you might have some luck.But again you have the registry to deal with.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:45 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Heh, well, you're right, Andrewas, I found that out last night. It's clearly made for mods only and not for different versions of the game. It's still a nice utility, though, if one wants to play the game with the Kelsey mod and separate game with the Solaufein mod, etc. Great concept, but didn't work in this situation.

*sigh* and because of the registry problem, it may not work in my situation as well. Oh well...thanks for the help anyway guys. I wasn't sure if it could work or not.

I may try that trick with the two accounts and see if that works. Since I now have ToB installed, I can try to create another account and see if I can just install SoA to it. Again, though, I'm not sure, because I think the registry is global, unless it pertains only to that hive for the individual user. Since all I have is XP Home Edition and not XP Professional, it may not work. But it's worth a gamble.

Thanks,
-Sazerac

Old 10-11-2002, 10:01 AM   #6
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Couldn't you just move (yes i said move, copy/paste) your installed version to somewhere else? Then install your new version. Once finished playing with your mp friends, switch them back? Would that work (im sure you can find some reason why it wont)
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:13 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:
Couldn't you just move (yes i said move, copy/paste) your installed version to somewhere else? Then install your new version. Once finished playing with your mp friends, switch them back? Would that work (im sure you can find some reason why it wont)
Windows is intelligent. This is the source of all windows problems. In this case the problem is that the registry stores info of all programs installed (There are a few exceptions, mostly smaller programs or multiple platform applications that cant depend on having the registry avaialble), so BG2 will know its installed, whether or not its been moved.

What you could try is copy it, uninstall it, reinstall it and then switch the copies into place depending on what you want to play, this would work if SoA dosent notice the ToB changes to the registry. Tough one.

The good news is there is a portion of the registry specific to each user (the user.dat hive if were getting technical), the problem is making XP store info in that hive. Im sure I saw an option to do it.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Windows is intelligent. This is the source of all windows problems. In this case the problem is that the registry stores info of all programs installed (There are a few exceptions, mostly smaller programs or multiple platform applications that cant depend on having the registry avaialble), so BG2 will know its installed, whether or not its been moved.

What you could try is copy it, uninstall it, reinstall it and then switch the copies into place depending on what you want to play, this would work if SoA dosent notice the ToB changes to the registry. Tough one.

The good news is there is a portion of the registry specific to each user (the user.dat hive if were getting technical), the problem is making XP store info in that hive. Im sure I saw an option to do it.
[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] Who's the idiot who made a smart machine!? Haven't they seen The Matrix, The Terminator or a list of other movies on the same subject!?
END [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]

I dont know anything about the tech stuff, but I know doing this worked for Starcraft and Broodwars (that was Win98 SE though). As I said, I don't know alot about the actual system, I just like to play games
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:07 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hm. I think the easiest solution is to tell the pair of them, "Upgrade to ToB or I'm not playing anymore!"

(j/k) I wouldn't do that to them. But I am going to lean on them about it.

Thanks,
-Sazerac

Old 10-11-2002, 06:51 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Two accounts probably won`t work, I`ve tried it with some other games and it still notices the registry change regardless of the account.
Your best bet is a dualboot setup.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote