Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
GodzGift
Dungeon Master

i have recently received a PM telling me i have been bringing up old or dead topics in this forum...i appologize for doing this. is there a way i can view old topics to get the answers i am looking for. i dont see a way to view any archived topics. i am new to this forum and obviously unaware that i was doing this. any help would be appreciated.
GodzGift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

yes there is a way. At the top right hand corner of the screen there is a link that says search. Click on it and then just follow what it says.

btw: dont worry about bringing up old topics, everyone does it!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
yes there is a way. At the top right hand corner of the screen there is a link that says search. Click on it and then just follow what it says.

btw: dont worry about bringing up old topics, everyone does it!
Yes but it is not polite to ressurect a thread. Just make a new one...
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
Yanez
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Yes, but making a new thread about old issues can sometimes mean a cold shower for a newbie. I have noticed on several occasions that first few replies in those cases all contain a sentence ˝Have you done your search?˝ instead of polite reply or link to some older thread about particular problem.
Maybe we should ask Ziroc for a bit larger search button?
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Yanez:
quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Yes, but making a new thread about old issues can sometimes mean a cold shower for a newbie. I have noticed on several occasions that first few replies in those cases all contain a sentence ˝Have you done your search?˝ instead of polite reply or link to some older thread about particular problem.
Maybe we should ask Ziroc for a bit larger search button?
[/QUOTE]Yes it is actually quite weird situation. Sometimes it is inpolite to ressurect old thread but as you said a newbie can get a cold shower...

Mods?
Z?
[img]graemlins/choc.gif[/img] ?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:35 PM   #6
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Finding it isn't the problem; when I first arrived, I found the button within 5 seconds. The thing is, I was actually looking for it. The newbies don't necessarily know that it exists, let alone how useful it is [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #7
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

only annoying part is having to go through some threads that end up having nothing to do with your search, and it can take a while if you get lots of results and don't know which 1 to specifically check .

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:10 PM   #8
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Just check all of the threads with your search topic in the title [img]smile.gif[/img] With a cable/dsl, it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds to see that a thread doesn't have the information, anyway.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:14 AM   #9
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

If it wasn't for all the old topics, this forum would have been dead by now - so keep on posting

I have had my PM box disabled until recently. Someone might have wanted to send me a PM for the same reason (ie. bringing up old topics), I don't know [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think it is OK for persons who are new to the game, to bring up old topics. IMO it is the main purpose of this BG1 forum.

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane

PS: I'm looking forward to answer some of your old topics
Old 09-10-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneBane:
If it wasn't for all the old topics, this forum would have been dead by now - so keep on posting

I have had my PM box disabled until recently. Someone might have wanted to send me a PM for the same reason (ie. bringing up old topics), I don't know [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think it is OK for persons who are new to the game, to bring up old topics. IMO it is the main purpose of this BG1 forum.

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane

PS: I'm looking forward to answer some of your old topics
I kinda agree (as I myself was a newbie a while ago, and responisble for bringing up some old topics, though I never get any PM); I think almost everything and anything about original BG series has been discussed on the three forums for the saga. If old topic is not allowed...we'd proabably only have various, ever emerging mods to discuss; yet not everybody plays mods.