Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2003, 04:47 AM   #61
andrewas
Harper

A sad demonstration of what makes this place special. Dont let a few creeps ruin the entire internet for you.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:12 AM   #62
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well, you are one of my fave spammer and I'll miss you if you leave so will lots of people... probably everyone on Ironworks. I know lots of forums like the one you are talking about, although I missed the link to this one (don't really care) but I usually don't stay there, everytime I feel insulted or like I wan't to wipe out a whole anthill of trolling flamebaiting idiots who have nothing better to do but insult and flame other people, I go back to Ironworks and my faith in internetgeeks is restored...

I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you'll be okey, take a break but please don't forget us, IW will not be the same

[ 04-16-2003, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Old 04-16-2003, 05:16 AM   #63
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

Kaltia i dont really now you so well and iam pretty new to the forums (but will spen alot of time here=))
anyway i have also been harrased one time that i didnt start my computer for 2 months but then i got back just take a break if you need to and then consider to come back=)

(I remember you calling me a troll once btw beacuse you said i did spam but you do it 2=))
Old 04-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #64
Vampire

Heyyyy... i douby my words will mean much or change your mind, but I feel I have to say it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't know u all too well Kal, nor do I really understand what happened. It's not worth loosing good old IW over it though.

True enuf not many places on the www is nearly as good as IW. IW mixes good moderators and taste, leaving only the sane behind [img]smile.gif[/img]

So stay with us, and we'll all have a large *hug* and be done with it!

Otherwise you will be sorely missed by everyone here. xxx
Old 04-16-2003, 07:36 AM   #65
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
You have to be kidding me.

You mean that in the space of time between two posts - a mere HOUR - you make the decision to cut off all internet communication COMPLETELY? As in, EVERYWHERE? What...? You want to lose this? All these people above? Nothing can possibly be as bad as to force you away from them. I don't believe a word of these convictions. I hate to say it, but I can't help but feel your feelings are a little clouded by shock and disgust.

Go see a movie. Read a book. Play a computer game. Relax. For at least a DAY. And THEN come back and tell us that you are leaving for good. And if you say it THEN, THEN I will believe you have thought about it. Until then, you're just acting out of knee-jerk emotion.

Yes, I sound harsh. I'm surprised no-one else has been.
Me too, Tancred. I agree with this completely, and hope that Kaltia too sees you are right. A bunch of idiots that has nothing to do with IW should not force you to leave IW.
I cannot even begin to describe what I have gone through that's related to online stuff but believe me, this doesn't even come close to it. I'm still here though, aren't I?

Don't get me wrong Kaltia, I am really sorry to hear you were hurt and I fully realise how horrible it can make you feel if you are treated like that. But I don't see the connection at all between that and leaving the internet altogether. It's your decision and I'm not going to tell you not to, I just agree with Tancred that there's a good chance you just needed some time away from your PC to deal with the bad stuff that happened to you. You were enormously upset so you just thought "screw it all" but I don't believe that should mean the WHOLE internet is off-limits now.
The most horrible stuff can be found online: sick people, sick pictures, holocaust deniers, hateful messages: doesn't mean you have to leave the net because of it.
Anyway, I hope you'll feel better soon and not let this nasty experience dissuade you from posting.

Edit: punctuation...

[ 04-16-2003, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 04-16-2003, 07:48 AM   #66
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Kaltia, what you are complaining about is exactly why I don't usually bother with forums other than IW. (Except for the odd forum for game-specific info)

Ignore the losers, and settle in here. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 09:15 AM   #67
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I realize this may be too late, Kaltia, but I do hope you decide to stick around, at least here. Heck, three pages of hugs and love from your fellow Ironworkers should give you a warm feeling of welcome...

I do want to offer a couple of things, even though I missed the link and the nastiness.

Primarily, you can complain to someone's ISP about their behavior, and their ISP can usually terminate their accounts for violations of Terms of Service (aka TOS). There's almost always an "abuse@" or "webmaster@" account for every domain. There are a lot of folks who get creepy because they don't think they can be touched. Well, they can...

Secondarily, the internet is like the world, with lots of neighborhoods and communities. Of all the places in the real world, there are a number of places that rank high on my favorites list -- Paris, New Orleans, and upstate Michigan, to name a few. IW is one of the best online cities I've seen: the people are friendly (check out the latest welcome thread ), cordial (even in disagreements), and polite (eventually). If you run into any challenges here, Z and the mods are quick to act, and they are quickly supported, in my experience. Rules are tough here, but they're fair, and that's what makes it a great place to be.

I guess I'm saying, in a long-winded and roundabout way, that you should be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Toss the dirty nasty stuff away, but keep the good things that are left.

I do hope you see this, and I also hope that you are able to make it back to here. If you don't, then I accept your choice, though I may not wish to support it. Godspeed, and peace.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)
Old 04-16-2003, 09:30 AM   #68
Melusine
Dracolisk

Bungleau has a very good point. It may not make you feel better to report this person, but you might prevent him/her (?) from hurting someone else. Maybe there is a way of finding this person's IP address so you can send a message to their provider. Providers do take those things seriously. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 10:47 AM   #69
Sigmar
Unicorn

Kaltia your decision to remain on or off the Internet is always going to be yours but I can't help but question your reasons for doing so.

I've had horrible experiences on other forums and chatrooms, including mass flaming (even from a number of people who I considered friends), hacker threats and general nasty stuff.

After every single one of these experiences I stopped and reflected on what had just transpired and every time I felt bloody miserable. I felt like...dung, after being on the recieving end of every barbecue.

In time however I realise that if I am saddened or hurt by what another person says then that person wins, I refused to give them the satisfaction of affecting my mood (even though they're obviously not aware of how you react emotionally, unless you tell them of course which would probably fuel the fires. Its the principle) and after realising this I left those forums and never went back.

I have five forums now (including the HADB forums) which have relaxed atmospheres, spam-a-plenty, and general good fun. Evidence that the Internet is not a nasty place, its just made up of good and bad sites. Its up to you which ones are which.

Kaltia, whether you leave or not is your decision but try to think on this decision for a while, a day at the least. Usually I find thats enough time for my rational thoughts to form an opinion (before they are again overwhelmed by my angst ridden teenage hormones ).

Obviously I would like you to stay, as do many of the members here at Ironworks. If you want to know those forums I'm a member of just PM me and I'll send them your way. Also don't forget that everyone who's open minded to spam and general nonsencical humour is welcome to the HADB forums [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW Why do you think every single one of these people in this thread posted something K? Because they like you and they want you to stay! They actually care.

Katia, I think you're a terrific person with great qualities such as your genuine sense of humour, and if you leave I will genuinely be saddened as you are one of the few people I consider a friend here on IW. So I ask you, please think it over, have a talk with Calethis Dragonsbane, and think about all the good times you've had on Ironworks and what its inhabitants have done for you. Then its up to you to make the call and decide whether its worth throwing it away because of what some people said.

Just my two melons, and I hope you read them. I (along) with the others genuinely hope you stick around.

[ 04-16-2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 04-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #70
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Sorry i missed all this. I hope you're doing better now Kaltia, don't let freaks like that scare you away. In real life you're also gonna meet people like that. What will you do then ? You can't keep running away for things like that all the time.

COME BACK !!!