Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Once I finally finish BG2 and bring the Throne of Bhaal saga to an end, I'm hoping to go back in time somewhat to my Ultima Underworld days and play the original System Shock, which a friend has kindly loaned me. The engine was made by 'Looking Glass Studios" and visually reminds me of UW.
I am interested in hearing some stories of any of its fans and thoughts of the Ironworks community in general about it. (Without spoilers of course)
I've read a few reviews which really endorse the atmosphere of the game and its ability to bring a chill or two to one's spine, which is always good.

I love any game that take a grip on your conscious mind and give it a good shake whilst in the process, sucking you deeply inside its world. [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I've played System Shock which is more of a FPS with minor role playing aspects (role playing in the way that you choose how your character develops). Anyways I've always wanted to try system shock myself, my brother said that it was a completely text based game though.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Sythe
Ra

The first system shock! Oh my I do remember it I was wee lad when it first came out. ANd I use to sit on my dads lap and watch him play it. He never beaten it though. But he bought the second system shock and we both beat it together (He is an expert in figuring out the puzzles and I am a pro in combat).
Old 05-11-2004, 11:28 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Text-Based my spanking little a**! [img]tongue.gif[/img] System Shock 1 & 2 are graphic games. Given the age of them, their graphics are still pretty remarkable by today's standards.

I still remember playing them, in the dark, with the speakers on.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:17 AM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Hmmm.... and my brother was supposed to be the smart one.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:21 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Played the first when it came out long ago, and played the second one as well. Both were awesome, and still in my top 10 favorites of all time. (Same people also made Thief series and Ultima Underworld--also in my top 10).

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:24 AM   #7
The Merciful
The Magister

Hmm... I got the first SS, but never got it running in Win98 with sound, so I gave up trying. However, I do have played SS2, and it kicks ass.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:56 AM   #8
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

text based fps? that would be rather amusing [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

At the time that the System Shock came out I was a dedicated ID addict (Doom, Doom 2, Quake)... and the interface to SS was a clunky piece of crap in comparison to the transparent FPS controls of ID's stuff. I played it for an hour or two and the interface was so annoying that I chucked the game... then I sent the publisher a note telling them to get a copy of Doom (or Quake, can't recall which was out then) and learn how to make a proper FPS interface. I never played SS2 because of my negative experience with SS.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

IMO, SS is a pretty good game. Elements of FRP` are nicely put in.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote