Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2001, 07:50 PM   #1
shadowkill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think I'm going crazy. I finished IWD a long time ago. I erased my game sometime. I just bought HOW. I started all over. I can't seem to open any of the doors on the second level of the tombs in the Vale of shadows. What am I doing wrong?? How can I open them so I can throw the switch.

------------------
Remember, it's always darkest just before you get eaten by a dragon.
shadowkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 09:15 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Let me give a shot at this. Kresselack's Tomb? Do you have the Mausoleum key from the northwest tomb on level one? There is also a lever to pull on one of the pillars. (needs whitewolf runestone to unlock it) That opens the entrance to another place...
I am almost positive that the Mauusoleum key is what you are missing.
After reviewing the "cheat book" for the game, it says that the Mauusoleum key is the key that opens all doors in this level...

Let me know how it goes...

------------------

Larry, a Loyal Guardian of the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 10:30 PM   #3
shadowkill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, I went back and got the key from town. It let me right in. I am trying to go through with only one character so I have to conserve space. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-2001, 02:27 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You sold the key before you used it!!
Well, I admire your efforts to make it though with one char. I might try that someday.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 07:04 PM   #5
shadowkill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually, I didn't sell it. I put it in the box in the upstairs of the Inn. Running with one character is hard, but I'm running a F/MU/Th so I think I have most of the bases covered. Not having healing spells is killing my time though. It's odd when you rest and it says "you rested for 7 days and 4 hours". Oh well, it's hard going, but I'm going to try and make it.

Shadowkill
Old 05-04-2001, 07:27 PM   #6
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'm not sure, off-hand, but doesn't a Figher get some Cleric spells from around lvl 8? Should be helpful - even if not much! You must use a lot of healing potions!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:45 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Fljot, thats Paladins and Rangers. Ya know I have the toughest time with your name lol. I can never remember how to spell it
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 10:35 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
It's odd when you rest and it says "you rested for 7 days and 4 hours".
lol

------------------

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-05-2001, 02:32 AM   #9
shadowkill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Fljotsdale, it seems like that is the only thing I am buying with my money. I do crawl some and then run outside and rest a lot. I think I'm about 5/4/5 at this point, so it's still tough going. Anyone out there run it with one character have any good advice??
Shadowkill
Old 05-05-2001, 05:53 PM   #10
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

ahhh yes, a true adventurer!

I myself have gone thru the original IWD with a single character twice now.
Once with a Cleric/Ranger and once with a Cleric/mage. The key here is clerical protection magics and heal spells to keep you going. When all else fails; sanctuary will save you (and makes an excellent scouting/level clearing tool).
As for the fighter/thief/mage.. hmm.. i'd have to suggest the thief focus on stealth and finding traps.. if able, spend a little on pick pockets so you can get it up to 75% and start ripping off the people of Kulduhar.. but save the lock pick cuz mages get "knock".. and, if you're lucky, "invisibility"..

as a whole character strategy; i'd suggest memorizing 2 or 3 "mirror immage" spells to protect you in battle. you may want a "blurr" spell as well so you don't get targeted by magic missles. Also memorize one "cat's grace" per day to give an extra AC bonus and to up your thief stats. at lower levels, try color spray to disable a swarm of bad guys; and rely on several "Web" spells to stop enemies dead in their tracks while you missle/hack your way past them. at higher levels, bank on "stone skin" to handle direct blows but always keep a dimension door or two handy for a quick get away.
Fatigue is a great setback, but "haste" is a greater advance. when you're very high levle, haste lasts much longer and may not crap out in the middle of battle.
Get the fireball; love the fireball.
oh yeah, and cary some platemail around just in case you get jummped and need some quick armor. I think you get a helmet and shield and can cast spells, so make those count for AC points. Other than that, summon lots of friends to aid your fight and you should make it. I'd also save up for healing potions (cast "friends" before or open your potion bag while in the store to get better deals on heals) I'd carry 15 on me at all times. if you can get anything to raise your Con, you might get some regeneration bonuses.
and of course, when you go to kill malavon, save a game at the autosave to the entrance of his lair. There is a random item in there you NEED called... umm..
er... the ring or essence transference? it's only usable by mages and it makes you regenerate like 2 or 4 points per round. it's in his throne; keep reloading 'till you get it cuz you need it since you lack clerical spells.
ummm...
seek out items and potions that emmulate the cleric spells you lack, and you should be powerfull indeed..
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote