Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

My friend and myself were wanting to have a LAN gaming session. I was wondering what kind of cable we should use and where it goes on the computers. thanx!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Perhaps you should with LAN conguration first, then only worry about games.

These are some question regarding LAN:
1. How many PCs are there to be connected?
2. Operating system on each PC?
3. Does any of you know how to setup LAN?
4. Got beer? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
Elif Godson
Dracolich

you will need a cat5 cable and a router or hub to patch into if Im not mistaken.
Then you will need to do some settings with your IP's and what have you.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Each computer will need an ethernet card, many newer computers have on-board ethernet connectors. As for cabling it depends on what you want to do. If you are just going to directly connect the two machines then all you need is a cat-5 crossover cable. These are not the standard ethernet cables, they will specificly marked as crossover.

If you are going to do more then 2 computers you will need to get a hub (cheap ones are under $20), and one standard cat-5 ethernet cable for each machine. Plug one end of the cable into the machine and the other into the hub. This will allow you to network as many computers as you have ports on the hub.

There is one last step, and that is setting up the network settings on each computer. Check your network settings and make sure TCP/IP is set on both computers and that each machine is set to obtain their ip address automaticly.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:38 AM   #5
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
..... and that each machine is set to obtain their ip address automaticly.
That will only work if the computers are part of a domain with a domain controler (DHCP). If they are the only two computers connected to the hub, it is easier just to give them some fixed addresses: ex 192.1.1.1 and 192.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 08-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

&ltpedancy&gt
The reserved IP addresses for LAN use are:

192.168.xxx.xxx

172.[16-31].xxx.xxx

and

10.xxx.xxx.xxx

&lt/pedancy&gt

The trouble is, if one of the computers on the LAN can see the internet, and one of the computers on the LAN has the same IP as a computer on the internet, troubles may occur for you.

The given addresses are actualy owned by some company somewhere, they dont seem to be in use at the moment but they could be at some point.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneBane:
quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
..... and that each machine is set to obtain their ip address automaticly.
That will only work if the computers are part of a domain with a domain controler (DHCP). If they are the only two computers connected to the hub, it is easier just to give them some fixed addresses: ex 192.1.1.1 and 192.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
[/QUOTE]True and false. Using Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) each machine will self-assign itself an IP in the range 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255, with a subnet mask 255.255.0.0. Using fixed address is better, but more work to set up and I was too lazy to type out the instructions on how to do it [img]smile.gif[/img]