Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #21
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I am wondering how is the one not the other? Is bias in reporting not a misrepresetation of the facts to flavour a case? This can be done by favouring one half of the case, neglecting to discuss alternate views, emphasising some facts to the detriment of the true picture, ommiting important details.

If the writer has done any or all of those things while not actually telling an outrageous untruth - how should they be judged? Are they really being truthful - or are they really guilty of mass deceit?
I am reminded of a saying "Even a stopped clock can be right twice a day" but that doesn't really do this justice...by Biased...Im thinking along the lines of on choosing which stories to go with....I don't think that the NRO's journalists are any worse than say the Washington Posts journalists at presenting the pertinent information in the story. If it is an OPed piece then that is differnet....but when it comes to actual reporting, I think they are as good as any of the mainstream US media...which granted...may not be saying much.

Edit: By your stabndards here..I think every media source out there is by definition guilty of "Mass Deceit"...seriously. The only way to even get approximate truth is to read many different accounts of the same thing and extrapolate.

[ 05-21-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #22
Chewbacca
Zartan

My news outlet can kick your news outlet's ass!!!

Sorry, I just had to do it... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

edit: The re-occuring theme of integrity and bias in news media made me!

[ 05-21-2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 AM   #23
Donut
Jack Burton

Rome, 23 April 2001. On Friday 20 April, in Geneva, the Human Rights Commission of the United Nations adopted a resolution condemning Moscow’s policy in Chechnya. The resolution, which underlines the gravity of the humanitarian and political situation in Chechnya, denounces the incapacity of the Russian Federation to respond to the requests formulated in the resolution adopted in Geneva last year, and underlines the need for Moscow to begin negotiations with the representatives of Chechnya in order to reach a political solution to the conflict. The resolution also reiterates the request for the creation of an independent committee of inquiry to investigate the numerous violations of human rights in Chechnya.

Statement by Olivier Dupuis, Secretary of the Transnational Radical Party and member of the European Parliament:

"First of all, it should be pointed out that the adoption of this resolution was made possible by the determined opposition of the United States to the adoption of a compromise resolution agreed with the Russian Federation, fervently sponsored by some of the member states of the European Union, led by the shameful Dini.

As for the content, the resolution adopted essentially reiterates the requests which the Commission made last year to the Russian Federation, and which have remained unattended over the last twelve months. The task which now confronts the Union is to demonstrate, in its daily business, that the relative courage displayed in Geneva is not an isolated gesture, but the expression of a new political strategy against the criminal policy pursued by the Russian Federation in Chechnya and in favour of a political solution to be achieved through negotiations between Presidents Putin and Mashkadov, accompanied by a determined humanitarian policy equal to the tragedy afflicting Chechnya."
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-21-2003, 10:29 AM   #24
Donut
Jack Burton

The campaign of the Transnational Radical Party proceeds in support of the peace plan proposed by the Chechen Minister for Foreign Affairs Ilyas Akhmadov which provides an interim United Nations protectorate over Chechnya on the sample of Kosovo.

The next street table to collect signatures under the appeal "For an interim United Nations administration in Chechnya", organized by Russian members of the Transnational Radical Party and the "Club Khramov - Association for Libertarian Reforms", will be held on Thursday, May 15, on Pushkinskaya square in Moscow, from 17:30 to 19:00. As well as one week ago, it will pass within the framework of the weekly picket organized by the Committee for Anti-war Actions.

The appeal initiated by the TRP "For an interim United Nations administration in Chechnya" can be also signed on the website www.radicalparty.org or www.radikaly.ru.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #25
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:

LOL - well I was trying to keep it clean and keep the F-word (Fox) out of this , so don't try and drag me down there as well [img]smile.gif[/img] .

In this case I am not at all sure that NRO pretends to be a news service like FOX does. In fact I give them more credit for openly acknowldeging the fact that they are a news commentary.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:36 AM   #26
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

fair enough I suppose Donut has the right to view the NRO stuff as "piffle" [img]smile.gif[/img] Ive always liked that word [img]smile.gif[/img]
So do I but I can't remember using it on IW. Perhaps it was Davros?
Old 05-21-2003, 10:39 AM   #27
Donut
Jack Burton

US will not co-sponsor UN resolution on rights abuses in Chechnya
Friday, 11-Apr-2003 3:00PM PDT

Story from AFP / Matthew Lee
Copyright 2003 by Agence France-Presse (via ClariNet)
s

WASHINGTON, April 11 (AFP) - The United States has decided not to co-sponsor a resolution at the UN Human Rights Commission that condemns Russian human rights abuses in Chechnya, the State Department said Friday.
NewsVantage – The richest set of real-time business, sports, and international news on the Web!

Spokesman Richard Boucher said Washington has not yet decided how to vote on the resolution on Chechnya proposed by other nations at the Geneva-based commission, but stressed that the United States remained concerned about the human rights situation in the breakaway republic.

He said the United States would prefer to have its concerns about Chechnya raised in a so-called "chairman's statement" which carries less weight than a resolution but would still have the backing of the commission's members.

"We have decided at this moment that we're not going to co-sponsor the Chechnya resolution," Boucher told reporters.

"We have also said that we think it's best to have a chairman's statement on the subject of Chechnya," he said.

"In either case, whether this goes to a resolution or whether it's a chairman's statement, I'd say we do remain very concerned about the human rights situation in Chechnya and we will continue to work for progress there," Boucher added.

The decision came despite the fact that less than two weeks ago, in its annual global human rights review, the State Department said Russia's record in the area was "poor," particularly in Chechnya.

"The government's record remained poor in Chechnya, where federal security forces demonstrated little respect for basic human rights," said the report, released on March 31.

The department noted "credible reports of serious violations" including the involvement of government forces in extrajudicial killings as well as politically motivated disappearances.

Boucher made his comments came less than 24 hours after the deadline to submit resolutions for consideration by the commission passed and followed an announcement that the United States would also not sponsor a resolution condemning China for human rights abuses.

Human rights groups had been concerned that Washington would not press the two permanent UN Security Council members as a reward or incentive for their support in the global war on terrorism and the conflict on Iraq.

Boucher denied that the US had based its decisions on anything other than what the United States felt was best to promote human rights.

"It's just not the case," he said. "Those things don't enter into these discussions."

The US decision on Chechnya came shortly after Amnesty International and the US-based Human Rights Watch issued a new report saying that Russian soldiers were continuing to commit human rights abuses in Chechnya.

They said the situation was deteriorating despite a controversial referendum last month in which Chechens overwhelmingly approved a constitution sealing the republic's place within the Russian Federation.

The UN Human Rights Commission, which condemned Russia for the bloody war in Chechnya during its 2000 and 2001 sessions but which failed to do so last year, is due to discuss the issue during its annual session on Wednesday.

Russian troops have been regularly accused of brutality and rights abuses in Chechnya since they were sent into the republic in October 1999 to put down a separatist insurgency.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #28
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

fair enough I suppose Donut has the right to view the NRO stuff as "piffle" [img]smile.gif[/img] Ive always liked that word [img]smile.gif[/img]
So do I but I can't remember using it on IW. Perhaps it was Davros? [/QUOTE]Piffle
Old 05-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:

LOL - well I was trying to keep it clean and keep the F-word (Fox) out of this , so don't try and drag me down there as well [img]smile.gif[/img] .

In this case I am not at all sure that NRO pretends to be a news service like FOX does. In fact I give them more credit for openly acknowldeging the fact that they are a news commentary.
[/QUOTE]Don't take me too seroiusly at all,

The mere fact we are all sitting on the internet gives us a wide range of choice of news and commentary as convienient as clicking on a google button, make the playing field even in all regards IMO.

Any side of an issue, be it left or right or whatever- can represented, tossed about ,hidden, and revealed all with the click of a mouse. Objectivity must exist for there to be bias in the first place.

But I do have an opinion for the topic at hand so as not to further de-rail the discussion: [img]smile.gif[/img]

Russia, like the U.S.,Isreal, China, ect... Can get away with what ever they want as far as the U.N. goes because they are the main players AND the rulemakers. Beyond the seeming uselessness of the Security council or human rights council the U.N. is little more than a beaurocratic food-aid organization with an idealistic mission statement.

The media is the only obstacle the Russians face, but getting the Cheznya rebellion mixxed in with the war on terror and the fact alot of Cheznya rebels have crossed the terrorist line overshadows any of Russia's trangressions it seems.

In the war on terror and in the media, you are either a terrorists or your not. If you are a terrorist you are bad, no matter how "lofty" your vision of liberation is. With that stigmata comes nothing but bad press for you and good press for the legitimate goverment your are trying to upsurp.

Only a with political process, something that extremists both in Palestein and Cheznya dis-believe in, can peace and liberation be achieved for those people.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:35 PM   #30
MagiK

Donut, it was indeed Davros who used the word Piffle [img]smile.gif[/img] and I knew it..I was basicly trying to address you both in one post...and apparently did a poor job of it [img]smile.gif[/img]

What I would really like to see, from all governments and the UN (including my own) is some consistancy....and while we are at it..mainstream Media should be a bit more consistant....it just drives me bonkers for these guys to treat the same issue, differently depending on whos involved...

I suppose Im wishing for the impossible Anyway, thank you for the posts Donut it seems it is more the US "mainstream" media that is letting this stuff slide.

Piffle!