Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 10:25 AM   #1
Vassago
Manshoon

I finally got past Dragon's Eye last night and recovered the Heartstone Gem. After 2 very bad attempts of beating Yxunomei, I developed a new battle plan that ensure victory and just wanted to share it w/ the rest of you. Party stats are below in my sig.

By the time I got to Yxunomei's door, my druid had 2 summon fire elementals and 1 summon animails II. So I casted all 3 of these spells. Originally, I was just using the 2 fire elements, but on the second defeat, I learned of those @#$%^ snake mages that come from behind. So I added the animals 2 spell to deal w/ them. After casting all 3 of the summoning spells, I had Vassago & Onyx hide w/ melee weapons in hand. Eldran opened the door and I moved Vassago & Onyx into position (right behind the "odd little girl"). I kept the animals at the door and entered w/ Eldran and the 2 fire elementals. After the dialog and the "odd little girl" became Yxunomei, I unleashed my party. Vassago & Onyx starting beating Yxunomei down. I had a Silence spell in my quick slot which was the first thing Eldran casted on Yxunomei. The fire elementals went for the snakes on the left and right side. The cave bears starting in on the snake mages that were coming from behind. Surprisingly, Yxunomei was the first to go down. Vassago & Onyx were then surrounding by an undead mixture, so I had Eldran cast entangle (Vassago & Onyx have ring of freedom). I had Onyx proceed to the right side to help one of the fire elementals and Vassago went to the left. Eldran then casted spike growth to finish off the undead group and one of the snake mages. It was pretty much all over at that point. Eldran walked away without a scratch, Vassago & Onyx had lost about half their hps which put them around the 60 pt range and I still had 1 elemental and 1 cave bear left. They collected their reward and returned to Kuldahar.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:44 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

congrats, sounds like a good adventure to tell by the fireside. My own fav event was when I (re-running through the game with my first party, all exported from my first run through) went through Kresselaks tomb with AI off, and only turn undead for a defense, my cleric and pally leading, did the same through the severed hand.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
Etsap
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think if you fully explore every side passage (and kill all the monsters), you won't have any problems with anyone coming from behind. The only things you should have to deal with are Yxunomei, the things in her room (6 archers and 2 mages?) and any summon spells she casts. When you encounter her, ALL side passages open and anything you didn't kill comes out to get you.
Etsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #4
Vassago
Manshoon

Etsap,
I did fully explore everything. I even double checked by looking at the map. I just thought it was something that happened for the battle. Kind of like a trap or something. Oh well, they had a hard time casting w/ the cave bears whooping up on 'em.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
Keraptisdm
Elminster

My encounter with the Big "Y" was somewhat amusing. I just lumbered on into her room and then the fight broke out. Party withdrew to hallway with her giving chase. My Illusionist and Cleric summon monsters and animate dead for cannon fodder. Plus the cleric tries to heal fighters that are beating on the Big "Y". My main fighter, Jericho Walruin, is going toe to toe with her but one is going to go down first. I'm down to ONE hitpoint, no potions, cleric is out of spells, and decide to run back through the corridor. She chases me. My Thief/Mage, Mark Tornado, gives chase too. My fighter, with the Big "Y" hot on his trail, is now all the way at the end of the corridor, but can't go through the door to the adjoining space because "You must gather your party before venturing forth." Agh! I turn to face her! Meanwhile the Thief/Mage has caught up, rips off his armor, and casts his very last Magic Missle spell. And the Big "Y" drops.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:05 PM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

One of the hardest things to deal with is the party AI blundering into the room and triggering the traps. This has proven lethal to me more than once. For some reason, characters with bows seem reluctant to open fire on Yxunomei whilst she is casting spells at you. 'Course, this could just be my interpretation of the battle, so who knows. Thank the gods of Faerûn for the Fireball spell!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:28 PM   #7
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

yeah... ive found AI less than optimal in this game... i have my characters set to none for that reason. ive had them wander off, blunder over traps, happily charge forth from a good defensive line to get surrounded by enemies... the works.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:51 AM   #8
Vassago
Manshoon

I would have to agree about the AI. I have it turned off as well. I like to decide my own fate in battles. Of course, I am a heavy user of the pause button.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:08 AM   #9
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Vassago:
I would have to agree about the AI. I have it turned off as well. I like to decide my own fate in battles. Of course, I am a heavy user of the pause button.
AMEN, brother. See my post in the topic about doing stupid things here in the IWD discussion.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 10:41 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Another heavy user of the pause feature here! LOL

I've whupped ol' SnakeLady Y several times, in single and multiplay but last night my multiplay partner, Sazerac, and I did it ONE try (no reloads)! I almost couldn't believe it!

We have two pcs each. I run a bard and cleric/fighter, he runs a thief/fighter and a mage and amazingly enough, we got through in one take. His mage cast web on half the room, then he and my bard sent magic missles at Y. The cleric sent some Holy smite spells in and we all wailed on the Yuanti with missle weapons. What finally brought Yxonemei down, was a combo of my cleric/fighter with Conlan's hammer and the magic missles, but she was distracted by the 6 goblins the bard summoned up behind her...let the cleric get a few really heavy hits on her with the hammer!

I squealed so loudly I scared my cat, but MAN it felt good to finish that battle in ONE try! WHOOOOOOOHOOOOO!

[ 09-20-2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]