Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2002, 01:25 PM   #1
Vampire

My BG tactics are relived in NWN! I love wizards on the offensive just when people least expect it. On BG2 it was time stop then dual welding attack on enemy spell casters (low HP and AC).
Now i use my wizard to cast fireball adn rush in with swords and stoneskin.

Here is my wizard. I am in Luskan chapter 2: Level 15, HP60 and AC 25-27
I use my Elven court (+14 attack bonus) at range
then use dual weld Gladiator longsword+2 (acid damage) and Shortsword+2
or use Chaos Largesword (confusion on 50% hits) against mortals.
I wear Shadow Legion Armour.

See! My wizad can fight and kick arse! It has intelligence of 26, Dex of 18-22 and Strength at 16-18
A few potions and it's a killer. ofcourse i don't take on expert enemy fighters of my level or take on enemies with disease of poison. But neverthless i slay all else.....*embarrassed smile* with the umm help of ummm a celstrial avenger... but that's irrelevant!
Why i even knocked out the CR27 lich Toras before i realized it... he really should have done better.. anyone got the stats on this guy?

btw... i forgot to give some henchmen items to them in Chapter 2.... now i am in luskan... can i carry on in chapter 3?

Old 09-11-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
perk31
Manshoon

My understanding is once you miss a henchman quest you can't continue it in the next chapter.

I'm seriously considering that with my wizard as well. I just wish you had more points to put into constitution when you create the character. Did you multiclass or just use the feats?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
AndyG
Elminster

I don't really understand the point of this. If you want a fighter who can cast spells, why not take one level of sorceror and the rest fighter or ranger. You can then use all the scrolls, magical staves and wands, etc, and you'll be a far better melee fighter. As it is, I think you've been lucky. Most high level casters will summon moderately strong champions, and these can hit pretty hard. Most fighter types can ignore their attacks, but your wizard with low AC and HPs will be in trouble. Also, tougher mage types will have serious damage shields. Fighters can hack this down fairly easily, but without fighting feats and extra strength, it will take you longer and leave you vulnerable to offensive spells.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyG:
I don't really understand the point of this. If you want a fighter who can cast spells, why not take one level of sorceror and the rest fighter or ranger. You can then use all the scrolls, magical staves and wands, etc, and you'll be a far better melee fighter. As it is, I think you've been lucky. Most high level casters will summon moderately strong champions, and these can hit pretty hard. Most fighter types can ignore their attacks, but your wizard with low AC and HPs will be in trouble. Also, tougher mage types will have serious damage shields. Fighters can hack this down fairly easily, but without fighting feats and extra strength, it will take you longer and leave you vulnerable to offensive spells.
It depends on what you want to have better which way to go. If you use scrolls, you will have a finite amount of spells. This will cost you way more. Course, if you go the total mage route, you will have to buy more heal stuff or other items. LOL. There is a tradeoff there. I like using about 1/2 and 1/2. I'm not much for powergaming, and I realize I lose out on a lot by doing this, but I get a decent amount of lower level spells I can cast (between 3 and 5 per level depending on level) and can cast from scrolls. The 1 benefit to being able to cast on your own, is that you gain spell effects per level if that spell gains effects. IE. Magic missile, Fireball, etc. Once you gain levels, these spells get stronger. You can also use Maximize or Extend spell, etc. This gains to that spell too. Still spell is really cool too. With scrolls, what you see is what you get (Always). Anyways, Tenser's Transformation helps to make your wizard a decent fighter. You won't BE a fighter, but it can help in some situations.

[ 09-11-2002, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]
Old 09-12-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
Vampire

yes i am thinking of using a level of fighter/ranger.
Also i am using still casting so i can use fullplates!
mmmm, AndyG ur problem would be caster level, ur spells won't do much and won't last.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:48 AM   #6
koz-ivan
Manshoon

sounds similar to a char i'm running an elven 18 wizard w/ a level of ranger & a level of rogue.

the char is suprisingly effective in combat, and w/ the right items has plenty of hitpoints and a good ac. and a resonable # of attacks. very good at chewing through the fodder creatures w/ namarra & feyduster. plus the stun effects are suprisingly effective in single combats. some of the elemental damage "finesse" weapons are also used frequently.

then she always has her spells to fallback on when faced w/ a difficult opponent.

it's a little unsettling to send an archmage into melee but it works suprisingly well.
koz-ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:57 AM   #7
Vampire

yup yup,

This is my usual tactic! And it works well!
Cast stoneskin
Cast Fireball at enemy in the distance to weaken them
Then when they rush me i cast cone of cold to weaken them badly!
Then switch to:

high AC/dangerous enemy: Elven Court with +14 attack bonus or magical attacks
medium AC enemy: Chaos Sword +2 for confusion effects
low AC enemy: Dual weld Galdiator Acid sword and shortsword+2

then summon a celestrial avenger into the enemy to help.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:00 AM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
yup yup,

This is my usual tactic! And it works well!
Cast stoneskin
Cast Fireball at enemy in the distance to weaken them
Then when they rush me i cast cone of cold to weaken them badly!
Then switch to:

high AC/dangerous enemy: Elven Court with +14 attack bonus or magical attacks
medium AC enemy: Chaos Sword +2 for confusion effects
low AC enemy: Dual weld Galdiator Acid sword and shortsword+2

then summon a celestrial avenger into the enemy to help.
From my aspect, as a Ranger mainly - 11th level, I go in with fighting stance. Usually get some assist from my Rogue skills as I get sneak attacks, Things turn really sour or enemy is pretty weak or I need to buff, I turn to my scrolls. I have decent AC normally (48 AC) so haven't really needed ghostly visage or Cat's Grace or anything. I do like to use them from time to time on the really tough battles. I always keep some heal potions or my ring of health nearby in case of massive damage (Dragon's breath weapons mainly). Sometimes I will just summon my familiar / companion / and will do some kind of monster summoning (usually a celestial avenger with greater planar binding or Gate, but if I use Gate, I do have to cast protection spells first, which I have as a normal spell as a Sorceror 1st level.) My summons don't last a long time, but they do help out against numerous enemy. They help to draw fire away from me. I heal them as I can if I am able though. Or re-cast Gate if needed from scrolls.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:39 PM   #9
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

I liek casting spells while my panther holds them up...i hop this works past chapter 1..... hehehe
Felix
FelixJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:35 PM   #10
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixJaeger:
I liek casting spells while my panther holds them up...i hop this works past chapter 1..... hehehe
Felix
It will work to a point. Summonings always fold up pretty quick. Especially against higher level foes. If you are a straight character (familiar/companion) levels as you do, then they will last a bit longer. Mine are fairly low level as I split my classes up. This has a side benefit of giving me extra xp since they are so low a level though. Weird. Anyways, if you have summonings from scrolls, they are more reliable unless you have plenty of time to rest up. That's the main disadvantage to spells/summonings. It is where scrolls really shine. You probably will do ok with them until mid to end of 3rd chapter. If you play them right, can go all the way to 4th chapter.