Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #21
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Damn, while reading through the Vista EULA I just found a dodgy little bit of info.....

quote:
13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible
for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software
you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.
So from what I understand, if you upgrade with Vista, your previous version is no longer a legal copy.....

EDIT: Actually, after actually thinking about it, I don't think it's dodgy [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But still interesting!
[/QUOTE]But what if you want to downgrade back? Back in my Win/PC days I upgraded to XP from 98SE and then went back when I discovered the sound card, audio interface & software I was happily running my studio with were never going to be supported under XP. Until I changed my entire rig I couldn't use anything else. If I hadn't been able to 'retrograde' I wouldv'e been stuffed. You should have a choice IMO...

PS. I made the choice to upgrade on the advice that there would be drivers etc released. Wan't Microsoft's fault in this case.

[ 02-01-2007, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #22
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

It's always micro$haft's fault.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #23
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Now, be fair, it's not their fault that people started trying to be edgy by replacing the S in their name with a dollar sign.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Now, be fair, it's not their fault that people started trying to be edgy by replacing the S in their name with a dollar sign.
Nah, he is referring to micro$ahft, not Microsoft, must be some German company
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #25
Arvon
Unicorn

I just loaded Vista and it seem okey. I'm not sure it's worth it though, considering how much it cost.It is pretty. I did find one bug. You can't delete some mail messages, and I haven't found a fix. Also I haven't found an Anti Virus that is Vista compatible.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #26
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Yeah, most of the various AV and firewall programs around haven't upgrated to Vista yet, I'm holding out for that, though supposedly Vista has a pretty sweet built-in firewall.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #27
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
I just loaded Vista and it seem okey. I'm not sure it's worth it though, considering how much it cost.It is pretty. I did find one bug. You can't delete some mail messages, and I haven't found a fix. Also I haven't found an Anti Virus that is Vista compatible.
Which version of Vista did you upgrade too?

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Yeah, most of the various AV and firewall programs around haven't upgraded to Vista yet, I'm holding out for that, though supposedly Vista has a pretty sweet built-in firewall.
While I'm still not convinced about Windows defender (it's not bad, just missed some things that almost killed a computer of mine) the firewall in Vista is quite nice (especially in comparison to the one in XP)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #28
dplax
Jack Burton

For Vista compatible antiviruses:

If you don't have an AV, your security centre can direct you to an MS site which gives you a list of compatible antiviruses (most still in beta). (IIRC a few days ago there was F-Secure, AVG, the MS antivirus, etc...)

At least in the Business edition that I have been using since the beginning of the month in a virtual machine(gotten free through msdn academic alliance) it worked that way.

[ 02-02-2007, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: dplax ]

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #29
Arvon
Unicorn

I was able to download a trial version of Karpersky that seems to work. Don't know if I'll buy it or go with an upgrade to Norton.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #30
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Avoid Norton, avoid it like airborne Bubonic Super-AIDS.