Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
GForce

Erm, I'm trying to add a custom Bugbear and Orcs to my module. How do I specify the amount of XP they each give if a character defeats them? I looked thru their stats when making them, but i didn't see any place where I indicate the amount of XP that they will give to defeat them. Thanks a bunch for your help.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
Erm, I'm trying to add a custom Bugbear and Orcs to my module. How do I specify the amount of XP they each give if a character defeats them? I looked thru their stats when making them, but i didn't see any place where I indicate the amount of XP that they will give to defeat them. Thanks a bunch for your help.
A creatures "Challenge rating" or "CR" determined how much xp they are worth, relative to the level of adventurer that kills it. The toolset will auto adjust the creatures CR based on what stats and powers you give it. You can tweak a creatures CR manually under creature properties, but I am unsure if this leads to an increase in xp.

I Hope this helps! I'm still working on the magic balance my self for custom encounters. I have found that firing up the game and battle-testing with an appropriate level character is the only way to insure your creature gives the xp what you want.

Also you can adjust the total xp for the module under module properties. 0-100
Old 06-18-2003, 03:37 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

If you really want to control everything you can set the XP slider in module properties to 0 and give XP via the OnDeath scripts of the monsters. The disadvantage is that you either give every level the same amount which doesn't make sense at times, or you have to script level-depended XP rewards (if you use one formula this won't be a very big problem though).

BTW in the module I'm making I have the slider set at 0 and I give out same amounts of XP for completing quests, so most of the time not for killing monsters. That's the way it makes sense for me and it fits the story. Also is nice for me so I don't have to balance encounters too much to fit more different levels than the level I think players should be.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Exactly. There's only one way to set the amount of experience at a fixed level and that's by allowing 0% of the experience the 3e game hands out for the kiling of monsters. Next, you need to change the OnDeath scripts to give out experience. You can use a central one by inserting lines like

Quote:
if((GetTag(OBJECT_SELF) == "Bugbearsmall") || (GetTag(OBJECT_SELF) == "Bugbearmedium")
{
Give the experience
}
else if (GetTag(OBJECT_SELF) == "Bugbearlarge")
{
give more experience
}
into a single, central OnDeath script to keep the different possibilities from cluttering your mod.

Alternatively, you can use a formula of your own (or only apply that formula to certain creatures and have a fixed amount for others) to regulate XP, but that is only necessary in multiplayer modules and modules where the level of the player character is not tightly regulated.

Or, you could set the slider bar to above 0% and adjust the challenge rating to influence the amount of XP the killer gets (challenge rating and the slider bar are part of the calcualtions used in the game, your level and class, and the levels, classes and numbers of your partymembers are also part of it. There are likely more factors still).

You could also not allow XP for killing at all, and instead have it come from talking to people, reaching new areas and completing quests. You may decide to reward players for kills with gold and items, which you can actually regulate yourself.
Perhaps there's no XP to be had at all, except for level-ups at certain crucial parts of the plot.

There are many ways to work with or around the experience that's built into the game.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
GForce

wow! a wealth of knowledge. i bow to all. thanks a bunch.