Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 10:25 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This cat is very friendly, and that is a plus...I was afraid he would be scared of everything.
He surveyed the house, made sure everything is where he wants it to be, took a nap on the bedroom dresser, played with his cat-nip toy (the lady brought over all his personal belongings...), crept into a closet, and has chased a miller-fly around.
Very busy day!

------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:29 PM   #12
G'kar

Me and my girl have two cats, she's allergic, but allegra handles the symptoms most the time. They are both fat and lovable, diet food didnt work (they wouldnt eat it, which would promote weight-loss with unfortunate side-effects) and since we live on the 3rd floor of a mid-rise, they cant go out for exercise...I chase em around the apartment sometimes, in an effort to play...they usually go hide under the bed so its out with a treat (diet treats they dont eat!) and apology. fortunatly cats get over things pretty quick, especially if you've got treats and pets for em. anyway, I could ramble on about my cats for hour and hours...so i'll stop here!

Good luck with your new cat Larry.

[This message has been edited by G'kar (edited 09-18-2001).]

Old 09-19-2001, 12:20 AM   #13
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Fools! Have none of your seen Cats and Dogs?

Never did like cats..they get all over the place.

------------------
Proud to be American
Old 09-19-2001, 12:47 AM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Larry!! WONDERFUL news!!! Especially since my best friend had to have her oldest one euthanized today (heart failure) It's a GOOD thing to hear that you gave a kitty a home!

Indoor only is how mine have always been and if you have toys,things to sit on look out windows, etc, they do fine. Might want a little play session every day if you can manage it too.

As for getting him neutered. I STRONGLY recommend it. For your sake (sometimes unaltered males begin spraying and they WILL get out if a female is in heat nearby) and for his sake (neutered cats have fewer health problems and usually live longer).

CONGRATS! Hope you all get used to each other really quickly!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-19-2001, 05:30 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
sometimes unaltered males begin spraying
Yes! Take Cloudy's word for it - you do NOT want an un-neutered tomcat 'spraying' your furniture - and he will. Everything will be ruined.

Maybe you think it is cruel, but which is more cruel - to keep him inside and desperate, smelling all the female cats outside and not able to go do what his body is telling him he wants to do (trying to keep it family viewing here folks ) - I mean imagine it from his perspective, how would you like it? He will be desperately unhappy every time he senses a female cat, and will be trying to escape to get to her. A sad life of enforced celibacy (there are enough unwanted kittens as it is).
Or a quick op which will mean he never go through this? OK, he won't know what he's missing, but that is better that knowing what he IS missing, right?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-19-2001, 10:15 AM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Good news...The cat has already been fixed.
I looked over his health records this morning and he is listed as a neutered male.
I have a queston.
Do any of you that own cats/dogs have ADT home security?
I do, and so if we are out of the house...how can I set the alarm?
It detects inside movement, and so I would have to put the cat out on the screened-in back poarch during the day, but in the winter, I do not want to do that.
Suggestions?

------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:29 AM   #17
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Good news...The cat has already been fixed.
I looked over his health records this morning and he is listed as a neutered male.
I have a queston.
Do any of you that own cats/dogs have ADT home security?
I do, and so if we are out of the house...how can I set the alarm?
It detects inside movement, and so I would have to put the cat out on the screened-in back poarch during the day, but in the winter, I do not want to do that.
Suggestions?

I, too, have ADT. First, call ADT and find out if your motion detector detects small things (under 50 pounds). If it does, I would recommend having them come out and install a new motion sensor. Check to make sure, but they only charged me a $25.00 service fee to come change out my sensor for one that will "ignore" your cat. With my dog (30 pounds) and two 14-pound cats - it's never gone off once.

Also, I'm glad to hear that 1. he's fixed and 2. he made himself right at home.

One other bit of advice from someone who had a fixed male (and has another one). Feed him only Urinary Tract Health formula food. Most every cat food company makes this, so shop around to find a flavor he likes. This could very well save his life in the end. My vet told me when Baby (my feline friend of 9 years who died of cancer) suffered from cystitis, that it was too much ash in his food (I think it's a byproduct of fish used in making the food). It causes crystals to build up in the bladder that then block the urethra (I think). Anyway, they can't pee. Baby had to be catheterized twice before he got the crystals out of his system. Better to be safe than sorry and, since so many companies make Urinary Tract Health formula, you've got a variety of flavors to choose from. My cats are VERY finicky, but they love this stuff and Merlin has never had a problem. Hope this is helpful.

P.S. - Lifetime...

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair.
Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy *
(when G is behaving)
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 10:36 AM   #18
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

what is it with cats people? I personally like big doggies the best....

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-19-2001, 10:36 AM   #19
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
yes, cats are such a treat if you can get them to like you! however, their arrogance often stops that, and well... but cats are quite fun when you get used to their laziness and pride!

Cats are NOT lazy!!!!!

They sleep a lot because of their natural metabolism. They are capable of relatively short bursts of intense activity, or longer periods of quieter activity, but then they HAVE to sleep. It is not laziness.
Nor are they arrogant or proud. Those are human failings. Cats are merely more independant and able to look after themselves than are dogs. They need us less than dogs, though they become attached to us if we show them care and attention.
A dog will be the willing slave of even a cruel owner. A cat will leave at the first opportunity if it treated badly.

------------------

Old 09-19-2001, 10:40 AM   #20
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

A dog always even remotly tries to come when called. Bunny and Hazel ROCK!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!