Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Is it possible? There's nothing really to do once you've finished all of the missions, so I was thinking of soloing up to the Crystal Desert with a R/Mo. Would it be possible, or am I just wasting my time?

Oh, and when I'm talking about soloing, I'm talking about the character by himself and a pet. No other people or henchmen.

[ 09-11-2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
My hat goes off to you, sir!

It appears that the only viable class to solo with (according to Google) is a Monk. I guess the healing factor is the only thing that makes soloing possible.

Here's a guide - may or may not help...
http://guildwars.gameamp.com/guide/v...7.php!orderBy=

An R/Mo would be interesting though, using the pet for combat/distractions.
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Heh. I've seen all kinds of solo Monk builds, but not for the whole game. Most of them involve skills that you get at the very end and are used for farming.

The main reason why I want to solo a Ranger is because one of its main strengths is versatility, but no one seems to want to invite me into a group because they're 'weak'.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

My character is a R/Mo, and just myself with my pet makes soloing difficult, but possible. I couldn't even run through Old Ascalon though, damn annoying, stuff chases me forever and I die a painful death...

NOT THE FACE!!
Kynaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

A ranger R/Mo can solo the game with henchmen, I did it. But to do it without henchmen is flatly impossible. 2 quests in Old Ascalon need 2 party member to complete. In after searing it's very hard to even kill one charr if you are ranger.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I can solo most areas with my Warrior Monk. I ahve seen a few good Ranger/Monk combos. If you are using a pet and wanted to solo I would invest in

Beast mastery (so your pet can tank better)
Marksmanship (So you can hit something)
Expertise (for stances)
Healing or Wilderness for troll ugent or other healing skills.

But the game is not made to be soloed. Have you tried out the new Sorrow Furnace and the post ascencion quests yet ?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, but the question is can you solo the entire game from the very beginning? Most people post a build that can solo some areas, which is true, but they include elites and other skills that are only available later on.

I've tried Sorrow's Furnace, got a nice Drago's Flatbow out of it. It's actually not that bad, as I am usually forced to bring 7 henchies as my current Ranger can't get a party if his life depended on it. At least they don't attack 3 different mobs at once and I'm able to wait for a patrol to pass so that I pick my targets... As for the new quests: I want Barrage! I can't get through the Iron Mines (stupid boss at the end has it) with henchies for some reason; they seem to become retarded against Mursaat bosses. Of course, having 5 Elementalists all spamming Chain Lightning/Enervating Charge while a Monk in the back heals is no fun (yes, I have infused armor, but I can't get past probably the last enemies before the final one). I currently have a R/W setup with Apply Poison -> Cyclone Axe and a few Traps and stances for quick tanking.

Like I said, no one wants Rangers in their party, so I'm stuck with henchies. And while henchies are decent, they're no match for even a decent PUG.

Quote:
The game is not meant to be soloed
True. But it'd be fun. I was thinking early on of doing a Call of Protection, Call of Haste, Charm Animal, Comfort Animal, Healing Breeze, Shielding Hands, Feral Strike and some other pet attack. With Call of Proteciton probabyl putting in around 5 damage reduction (at low early levels) and Shielding putting in around 11 damage reduction, most enemies won't be able to do more than scratch the pet. What damage they do do can be healed with Healing Breeze/Comfort Animal. My only concern is that the DPS might not be high enough, the enemies might attack me (phooey if they do; I'll use a Longbow to pull and run back when my pet goes out so that they target the pet) or that I'm overestimating my pet's survivability.

Anyhow, does someone have any suggestions for how a R/W can complete the Iron Mines bit with only henchies? It's starting to piss me off...

[ 09-11-2005, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
Old 09-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

If you take some trapping skills then most pugs will pick you up as a trapper/drawer.

I havn't had problems getting picked up with my ranger.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

... Well, that's not been the case for me. In any case, I finally beat the mission with only henchies, though surprisingly, it was a piece of cake the last time through. I switched to a R/Mo and am now using a Bow and Judge's/Barrage. Probably a result of me not only timing my Distracting Shots/Savage Shots well against those Chain Lightnings/Thunderclaps but me getting a bit more skilled. Time to try out Thunderhead with henchies.

I guess the consensus is that it is not possible to solo the whole game by yourself. Well, I think it can be done. With a lot of patience. After all, you'll level up quickly (up to a certain point, naturally), and if you level up enough in pre-searing (the enemy doesn't aggro in groups there and the enemy seems quite a bit easier), then you could go into the next part with a considerable head start.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I'm running a Necro/Mesmer, but only using necro skills. I have 15 in Blood and Curses, 5 in Soul Reaping. Recently, I've been trying to solo as many areas as I can, and have gotten quite god at some areas(around Droknar's, Rankor, can even reach Deldrimor War Camp solo), but some areas are way too hard to try. Like UW and FoW. Tried many skill combos, right now I'm on this:
1. Awaken the Blood - something wonderful
2. Vampiric Gaze - keeps me alive cheaply and fast
3. Suffering - nice and reliable way to get them down for the next two
4. Feast of Corruption - I must say that this is the best Elite I've tried so far. Even better than Spiteful Spirit
5. Desecrate Enchantment - do some damage and see if they are enchanted
6. Demonic Flesh - 200hp is priceless
7. Blood Renewal - 7 regen for 10 seconds and then it gives you a whole lot of energy
8. Enfeebling Blood/Enfeeble/Signet of Capture

What gives me trouble are the Griffins and Ice Imps with their spamming of Maelstorm. I can survive and defeat most other things like Hydras and Giants. And UW is absolutely impossible, even Weakened and Slowed Aatxe with Price of Failure kill way too fast. And I can also imagine ther being alot other areas that are quite solo-proof, like Elona. The solo monk relies on 4 skills at it's core, and then some more. Zealot's Fire, Protective Spirit, Balthazar's Spirit and Balthazar's Aura. And even that works only in some areas, not for example against some imps who use Chilblains fanatically, or any mesmers with health degen. There is no combination of skills that will get you through the whole game solo.