Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2002, 06:26 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

In hopes of showing my son the miracle of hamster birth, I purchased a female and put her in the cage with the others. The two males were gentle and used to being around other hamsters. They didn't seem to harm the female although they sniffed her constantly. As a matter of fact, when she squeaked at them in frustration, they ran away. I figured it was safe to leave her there for 24 hours before putting her in her own cage. Well, my son just called to inform me that she was dead. There isn't any apparent trauma like bites or blood. I'm assuming she either died from the stress of the new environment, or was accidentally smothered by one of the males. I feel bad, but learned a valuable lesson from it. Keep the boys and girls seperate unless they're under constant supervision! *sigh* Then make sure only one male is with the female(s).
Old 10-11-2002, 12:41 AM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

The two other males must be gay. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

Seriously, I think it might be a case of territorial dispute. Some animals are known to kill the opposite sex when they are not in the mood to breed.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:59 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Mmmm, 2 males and 1 female is a very bad combination and can lead to fights between any combination of the three hamsters. Sorry the hamster died. If you try again, decide which male you want to breed with and remove the other to a different cage.

I don't know much about hamsters, but I assume they will need a nesting box of some description and the female may need protein and calcium enriched food during pregnancy and lactation. And PLEASE make sure that you find good homes for the babies (you should approach local pet stores to see if they will take them before trying to breed them - there are enough unwanted pets about as it is) and sex and separate the young as soon as they are weaned - they can breed from an alarmingly young age.

Good luck if you decide to try again.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:41 AM   #4
edin gal
Dungeon Master

Poor Hammy!!!