Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Played around with the toolset last night. Very intuitive!!! Made a small starting area with an Inn. Placed some deer, crates, trees, NPC's, created some dialog, both a conversation, and the other ones that appear as balloons. Seems very easy to use create Diablo type mods. I ran it and every thing was pretty smooth except for the 1 crate that had a ton of inventory when I only placed a few coins in it. Weird!!! I have an idea for a mod but God knows if I will ever finish it as time is an issue. However I think I will dabble a bit every week. Scripting does not look so bad but it would be nice to read more on it. When creating a creature is there no way to change the look besides using profiles for creatures given? I could not find one that I wanted? Lets say I wanted an Ice Elemental, I could use the Earth elemental but I would prefer it had more of a coloring like the Frost Giant. I guess I am asking about creating a custom creature including appearance. How do you do this? What about if I wanted snow covered forest?

[ 03-03-2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Seems very easy to use create Diablo type mods.
I'd nearly say too easy [img]tongue.gif[/img] Unless of course you're a hack&slash fan.

Quote:

I ran it and every thing was pretty smooth except for the 1 crate that had a ton of inventory when I only placed a few coins in it. Weird!!!
Go into the scripts tab of the placeable and delete all the scripts that are there. Those create more inventory when the placeable is opened.

Quote:
Scripting does not look so bad but it would be nice to read more on it.
The scripting tutorial by Celowin in the NWN Lexicon is great. If you've finished that the lexicon remains a valuable reference. Ask questions in forums, here or at the BW boards.

Quote:

When creating a creature is there no way to change the look besides using profiles for creatures given? I could not find one that I wanted? Lets say I wanted an Ice Elemental, I could use the Earth elemental but I would prefer it had more of a coloring like the Frost Giant. I guess I am asking about creating a custom creature including appearance. How do you do this? What about if I wanted snow covered forest?
If there isn't an ice elemental in the game you at least need to do new textures, if not a whole new creature which looks a lot better. With creature hides you can easily add the abilities to the creature.

Snow covered forest is same, at least involves new textures. There are some snowy tree placeables and stuff. If you want a tileset you'll need a lot of work and it's definitely not easy. There are a lot of good tutorials on it.

But as you say you'll probably only do a little each week you could just as well keep your hands of it as custom content takes huge amounts of time and is not comparable to anything you do in the toolset. Even if you know it all and can do it effectively you'll need a lot of time to make it look good enough.

If you want to know more about cc try the cc board at Bioware's and the custom content guide on the Vault
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
The scripting tutorial by Celowin in the NWN Lexicon is great.
Took a look at this. Looks like a great resource with tons of examples. This will be very helpful when I start scripting. Probably do some simple scripts as areas are built and move towards more complicated scripts to improve the role playing experience and overall mod when it is mostly in place.

[ 03-03-2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:13 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Welcome to the wondeful world of the toolset! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here is link with a bunch of video tutorials:

http://nwvault.ign.com/modules/tutorials/viewlets/
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote