Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 09:06 AM   #1
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have just been reading Desdicado's threads on comparing games to W&W. I played MM1 on the Sega megadrive & found it repetative. I enjoyed the Baldurs gate series but W&W is one of the few games that I can play through more than once.
Icewind dale sounds good, so does Wizardry but my graphics chipset wont handle it (8.5Mb). What is this DD that Bungleau is playing, is it any good. DD used to mean Dungeons & Dragons when I was a kid.
I'd like to hear some considered opinions from, you, the experts.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Kev...

Bungleau...isn't the only one hooked on Divine Divinity. I'm on round #3. (it's very addictive)
It's a great game...BUT...some pretty tall min req's...CPU 450 MHZ, (No problem?)...128 MB RAM min, 256 MB recommended. (maybe a problem????)...2.5GB Free HDD, (problem???)...However....it does only need 8 MB video ram.
If your curious....Are You???

There is another Diablo clone, that was pretty good....Darkstone. There used to be a board for it here...now it's just archives. If you can still find it, it should be cheap.

A few others I'ld recommend, might be MM6, maybe MM7 or possibly Ultima IX: Ascension. It all depends on your taste, but I think those are all good RPG's.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:58 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Hi Kev! Long time no see! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Glad to see you´re back here. [img]smile.gif[/img] As packrat said Devine Devinity is the new game in here lol. But I have to recommend Arx Fatalis instead. This is a realCRPG and it´s VERY good. Now I´m the only one that´s finished the game on IW I think so you´ll have to trust me on this [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] Seriously though there´s an Arx Fatalis board up in here too. The system requirements are a bit easier than those for DD though. Minimum is 500MHz, 64Mb RAM, 16Mb graphics and 750Mb hard drive space.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:24 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Did you say MM1, Kev? I played the first MM game years ago when it came out, and when I went to replay it a while ago, I gave up -- too many little things (like you could only save by going to the inn in town, and the fact that I had lost all my original maps) made me search elsewhere for fulfillment.

Or are you refering to another MM? There have been a few...

I agree with Packrat, BTW; MM6 is one of the best of the MMs, with MM7 a close second (okay, so it's really MM6 part 2). Haven't played much else; I decided a couple of years ago that I didn't have the bandwidth to learn a large number of games, so I've kept myself to a couple of series. And then Divine Divinity came along... I'll get back to it soon, but Missy's a wee bit impatient with me of late. Gotta take care of her for a while first.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks crew,
Most of these games sound great. Arx Fatalis is out due to being stuck with limited graphics ram. Divine Divinity sounds terrific, I just have to find another 1.5Gb of disk space.
I think that I may have to revisit the MM series. From the sounds of things most of you were impressed by it.
I have just started to put together some bits for a dedicated game pc. I have an at midicase, monitor, a medium sized processor & ram so far. I am looking for a motherboard with an agp slot so that I can put in a decent graphics card. It seems that the gaming software has very quickly outstripped my current hardware.
Bungleau, I remember using a lot of graph paper with MM. Isn't automapping a great concept?

[ 11-27-2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: kev ]
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:06 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Aye, Kev, when I went through MM1, I made maps that were the equivalent (I suspect) of what the designers had to work with. Every inch of every game square was mapped and identified, from what encounters were there to what traps and special bonuses. My maps were far superior to the hint guide maps that I've seen -- they don't always show everything.

I wish I knew where those were... if I could find them, I'd replay MM1.

MM6 is the first MM that went away from grid-based gaming. Everything was a real world, and you walked all around it. That made for more realistic combat (if fifty orcs were facing you, they could all shoot arrows at you, and your fireball could take them all out as well).

And I love automapping... except in MM9. In MM6 through MM8, automapping followed what you explored. You didn't know what was there until you actually saw it. With MM9, automapping really went away, and you got a full map of the area every time.
-+-+-+
Old 11-27-2002, 10:59 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

Kev,
what are you collecting precisely? Why am I asking. You write that you are after "some motherboard with an AGP slot" and that you need "another 1.5 GB disc".
I warn you. New games are super greedy as far as the harware is concerned. You should have to collect:
- 1.5 GHz CPU (at least). Every motherboard that accepts such CPU contains an AGP slot.
- 20 GB fast disc (at least).
- 512 MB of fast RAM (100 MHz, better 133MHz). In fact, the motherboards that accept fast CPUs require such memory.
Otherwise, you'll be unable to run any "modern game" on your new game dedicated PC. Don't be mislead by the "hardware requirements" printed on their cover. It they state that "500 MHz CPU is required" then they mean that 1 GHz CPU is required. For example, Morrowind states that it runs on 500 MHz CPU. Morrowind is unplayable on my 550 MHz PIII with Riva TNT2 Ultra. It's a constantly crashing slideshow and not a game even if I reduce the resolution to 640x480.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:15 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll agree with Radek. I'm getting ready to build a new PC, and the specs I'm going to start with are:

70GB hard drive (already acquired)
1.5GHz CPU (minimum; depends on cost)
512MB Memory (minimum; more as available)
Super-duper ultra-nice video card (I'll be coming back here for suggestions [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Nice sound card

Don't start with a small machine, so to speak. By the time you're finished, it will be grossly outdated. Start with a big one, and it will only be slightly outdated [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 AM   #9
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Guys,

I would suggest Baldurs gate with the Tales of the sword coast add on, or Might and Magic 6. These are 2 of the few games I've replayed more than once and both are "bargain bin" buys now.

Incidentally, if you go to www.abandongames.com you can download Might and Magic 1 and 2 as abandonware free of charge. I got M&M2 yesterday, it really took me back!.
The only thing is that a lot of the games won't run on a modern PC as you need some strange memory configuration, M&M2 runs fine. I would also reccomend Drakkhen from 1990 ( I played this back then on an Amiga!).

Oh yes, and don't buy Wizardry 8, the Combat system sucks ass.

[ 11-28-2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]
Old 11-28-2002, 12:12 PM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

Sounds like a nice computer developing in your quarters Bungleau. Graphics card? Geforce 4 ti, there is no other! Great, until mine got busted [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] . As for soundcards you get nice surround with every Soundblaster Live (16 bit)! on the market. You can actually save a lot of money here [img]smile.gif[/img] The hubby is running Audigy2 on his. Too much for gaming is his words . I´ve got an Audigy which is more than I require for gaming (24 bit). If you want home stereo quality thogh, this is the card for you. But it´s not necessary for nice gaming. [img]smile.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote