Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2002, 01:07 PM   #11
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
originally posted by; Willow

Sounds like a nice computer developing in your quarters Bungleau. Graphics card? Geforce 4 ti, there is no other! Great until....
Well, with the money you'll save on the sound card...and a trade-in...How about...THIS....If you're gonna dream...Dream big!!!

BTW....They really do have a trade up, program. Look Here
Old 11-29-2002, 07:29 AM   #12
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Radec, I agree with you about the power that I will need very shortly but it is the hip pocket that will dictate what I end up with. I was offered a 750MHz cpu from a mate that is upgrading & anything over 1GHz is still very pricey. I have 128MB of 133MHz ram & I was going to double that up to 256 but as the prices for ram are dropping I will probably end up with 384. I agree with the size of the hdd. My current pc is only 15Gig with only 1Gig remaining, that is why I had to find another 1.5Gig. I am still undecided whether to keep the at case I was given or to use an atx that I could put a more modern motherboard in. This would allow me to upgrade much easier. What do you think?
Desdicado, I already have baldurs gate 1 & 2 & shadows of amn, they are good games that I enjoyed very much. I haven't heard of Dracken even though I was into Amiga games until recently, I will keep an eye out for it. I haven't the graphics hardware to play Wizardry 8 so I wont be considering it for a while.
Willowix & Packrat, if you guys are really considering trading your GeForce 4 cards you might get a better deal somewhere else. Maybe here, Bungleau & I are both in that market, though perhaps Bungleau wants the latest & greatest too.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 09:43 PM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I will tell you, Kev, that today's memory is not necessarily compatible with yesterday's MBs. I have an older Pentium MB that supports DIMMs and SDRAMs. As I later found out, some stuff has changed internally so that today's 100Mhz or 66Mhz SDRAM is not compatible with yesterday's machines. So the kids' machine now has a meager 64MB of memory ('cause I can't get anything else compatible), while mine has a now-modest 512. Next machine will go up higher, for sure.

So a new MB will ensure compatibility with today's other components. An older MB doesn't make that promise, although if you're handy enough, you can swap the parts out easily enough. Just adds to the personal time and cost of the machine.

I'll probably be picking most of my parts up at a local computer store here. They tend to be very reasonable, especially if I see them at a local show.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

As always I think you are right Bungleau. My brother showed me his motherboard which was the latest & greatest when he bought it, it had 4 slots for ram but the problem is that each slot could only take 8 Mb. A lot of the MB's that I have seen have been similar. I think that if you have to spend some cash it's gat to be on the MB so that it can be upgradable for a decent length of time. I can always improve the ram or cpu at a later date.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote