Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2001, 02:23 PM   #31
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks Moni
It is a good idea to change those things you can change. I just hope that they will come up with answers to help those poor people whose emotions come to them unnaturally. *sigh* There is still so much left for us to learn about the brain, hormones and emotions.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-20-2001, 03:29 PM   #32
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OK, just for the record, I have had terrible PMS since I was a kid. I understand what that is about. Nothing helps, not even prescription stuff.

Absynth, I really empathize with you. Since I was a child, I have struggled daily with chornic major depressive disorder. I know what you mean about getting up in the morning and the first decision you have to make is whether you are going to live or die that day. I know trying to explain to people that you are not just a little down, or blue, or sad, but rather you are in a black hole you cannot climb out ot. I know the fear, that even when you are doing well, of knowing that at any time you can crash and burn again.

BUT

I try to find the good and the humor in every situation. For me, humor is a survival strategy. I can and do make fun of myself and situations. I mean no offense ever, to anyone. But I try to not take myself too seriously, but I take other people very seriously.

This reply is NOT directed to anyone (except the part for Absynth), just wanted to share my views no matter how warped they may be.

Ladies, it is a privilege to know each and every one of you. I really do mean that.

------------------
O_H_F

Old 06-20-2001, 03:49 PM   #33
Absynthe

Hey Reeka, thank you.
A couple of other thoughts on this, and I hope I'm not diluting Bilqis intent on this thread, (if I am, Bilqis, let me know and I'll restart another thread)
I feel that sometimes our overly P.C. sensitivities can get in the way of some tough lessons.
One lesson is that no matter what we want to think about ourselves, we aren't perfect, and to try to hold ourselves to some magazine-ideal standard is really sad and debilitating. In my experience with depression, i've found a considerable amount of social stigma attached to any kind of mental condition.
For example, I read some letters to the editor in a People magazine from women who were angry at an article concerning some starlets recent birth experience. They took offense to a line which read in part "Postpartum depression was not an option for Miss so-and-so". The general point was that women who suffer from PPD were not choosing the condition, and to present it as a chosen situation was extremely callus. It also reinforced the notion that if you have an episode of depression, then there is something "wrong" with you, as the really cool people, i.e. Miss so-and-so, don't have to deal with it. I think that contributes to people wanting to deny that they have problems which could be alleviated with help.
The other lesson is that it is okay to pull this stuff out into the light and examine it and understand it. And often, part of that understanding is to laugh at it. Not in a derogatory way, but as a way to take the fear away and cut the monster down to size.
Ummm, I think i'm getting a case of babble-itis, so I'm going to bail for a bit and get some work done.
Thanks for listening.

Old 06-20-2001, 04:26 PM   #34
Melusine
Dracolisk

Wow Reeka, that's terrible! I really feel for you
I really recognise what you say about humour being a way to survive/endure...that's maybe why I was being a little insensitive in my first post on this thread.
I said that I thought all women here could handle these jokes, but that is because I myself respond in that way...I make jokes on my pains and thus I lighten them. I should have thought of the fact that not everybody responds in that same way...

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-20-2001, 05:06 PM   #35
Reeka

Actually, Mel, I was agreeing with you. You know what I mean of trying to see the humor in your situation and not take yourself too seriously.

No need of sympathy here (though it is appreciated), I manage, sometimes better sometimes less, but the important thing is I am still here.

Thanks!
Mel

------------------
O_H_F

Old 06-20-2001, 06:07 PM   #36
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
A couple of other thoughts on this, and I hope I'm not diluting Bilqis intent on this thread, (if I am, Bilqis, let me know and I'll restart another thread)

Absynthe, don't worry about it. I am happy that everyone is able to discuss this so openly and with kindness toward each other. I posted those PMS jokes because I think they are funny, and like Reeka, I believe that if we can laugh at ourselves we can often lighten the load of our concerns. Sharing those laughs with others can be fun for everyone. That was my hope.

So, don't worry about off-topic. This has all been very valid and interesting.

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:26 PM   #37
Melusine
Dracolisk

Reeka, I know you agreed, but I was afraid that others had a different approach than us and would be hurt.
And I can't help but feel sympathetic

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-20-2001, 06:34 PM   #38
Reeka

Mel,

Thanks for being so sensitive to the feelings of other. I guess I can take a little sympathy. . . . . . .as long as it is just a little. *Smile*

------------------
O_H_F

Old 06-20-2001, 07:28 PM   #39
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

I am sorry if I seemed ot object to the jokes. I don't - humour is a wpnderful thing. I just got a bit worried about things that implied that having PMS is your own fault and makes you an inferior person.

Hell I have had atrociuos PMS with my Cluster Headaches and there is NOTHING inferior about me

Not even my sense of modesty which is amazing

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-20-2001, 07:47 PM   #40
Reeka

Kiwi, understand totally what you mean. Same thing with depression, some people act like it is your fault. If you were stronger, you need to buck up, everybody feels this way sometimes, get a hold of yourself. I've heard them all.

You were right to point out that it is serious. That needs to be remembered as well as the ability to find the humor.

You are right, a balanced approach is best.

Thanks, Kiwi!

------------------
O_H_F