Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 03:35 AM   #11
Aerich
Lord Ao

I concur with Otto; we picked out the same positive gnomish attributes. Although I think the Trusted Defender helm only gives -3, not -4, it's still darn good.

The easiest time I ever had getting through IWD (in my pre-HoW days), I had two straight-class fighters leading the way. My best tank was a female gnome who got a fluke 18/00 Str (it was indeed my first roll for that character). She went axe and mace all the way, and ended up with over 50% of my (6-character!) party's total kills.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:06 AM   #12
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I never said that anything was bad with gnomes, they just aren't the steriotypical fighter race.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #13
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Ah yes, the fun of an evil party:

LE Human Fighter(3)->Cleric Cyril the Red
hammers/maces/flails/slings
STR 18/53 DEX 10 CON 16 INT 11 WIS 17 CHA 16

NE Half-elven Fighter Bloody Fist
bastard sword/axe
STR 18/93 DEX 17 CON 18 INT 7 WIS 9 CHA 8

NE elven thief Blackbow
shortsword/long sword/short bow
STR 17 DEX 19 CON 9 INT 14 WIS 11 CHA 8

LE human necromancer Langhaster Deathface
STR 11 DEX 15 CON 16 INT 18 WIS 16 CHA 13

So far, Cyril hasn't been dualclassed yet which makes the game challening; no healer is bad. Cyril and BloodyFist HAVE been kicking major arse with their melee, numerous goblins and orcs gibbed. But the best killer of the group is Blackbow, surprisingly, he is very very good with his bow and can backstab orcs to death. VERY handy. So far, a party with just 4 has been quite hard. Something I'm not used to from BG.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:50 PM   #14
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
Prediction: NobleNick is going to storm in here and spank you for not including a DC in you party (and only one MC). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Got a bard, though, so JrKASperov will escape the ultimate tongue-lashing.
Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Elven Fighter/thief Kellindil Long Sword/bow/maces
STR 17 DEX 19 CON 11 INT 13 WIS 11 CHA 11
Heh, heh, heh, you guys! I would have been more predictable and posted a long time ago if I'd known I was being lampooned in this thread! Well, at the risk of not being TOTALLY predictable...

Although I am reluctant to SC any character other than Paladin and Bard; I am also reluctant to impose my advice on someone whose characters' names I cannot pronouce without 30 seconds of study (each); and whose builds are not classic power gamer. I started looking at the changes I would make to suit my preferences; and the list is so long, it would be boorish to submit it unsolicited.

jmsteven and I were posting back and forth on MC versus DC Fighter/Druid a while back; and he said a few things that made me realize that I didn't KNOW enough about several aspects of the game to be flapping my jaws about how inferior the MC is. So, I've been building that reference database you can see, with an eye to utimately using some of the data for MC vs. DC comparisons. This, along with real life, has curtailed my forays into the threads a bit.

I haven't analyzed the data I've gathered on the F/D (haven't even posted it into the reference data, yet); but I am far enough into the process to also start re-thinking several of the DC and MC Fighter combos. The DC Fighter builds still appear to offer distinct and significant advantages for F/D, F/C, F/M, and F/T for MY playing style. However, one MC combo that I would have disdained a month ago --the MC F/T-- appears to possibly (analysis barely started) be not enough inferior to the DC to warrant the pain of taking the DC F/T route, instead. (Wow, can't believe I just said that.) So, besides the Bard in a warrior-heavy party, the other thing I think I like about JrKASperov's party is the MC F/T. (If nothing else, it is definitely loads better than SC Thief!)

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-17-2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm a big fan of the MC Fighter/Thief. MUCH better than the DC, all things considered. The worst traps, relative to party toughness, are in the first half of the (basic) game. I don't count the few in Lower Dorn's, because they are easy to avoid if you know what you're looking for.

The small HP hit and the loss of more than 2 PP in weapons is more than made up for by the continuous ability to sneak, backstab, and shoot longbows.

Additionally, you can pick your race to suit the role you want your F/T to have. Gnomes are great trap detectors and all-round F/Ts. Dwarves fit well into the front line, as their Con bonus gives them the best HP; although 17 Dex is not a powergamer thief, you don't actually need better. Halflings are good F/T because of their Dex, but losing the exceptional Str bonus to backstab (unless using potions, items, etc) is not so good. Elves of course make the best F/T archers. Both halflings and gnomes can use the -3 Helm. In short, the MC F/T is a great character to fill the thief needs over the whole game while still getting good melee and missile support for the party.

Edit: In the above post I'm only considering the DC Fighter-to-Thief build, not the other way around. For the amount of HP you'd lose getting a decent Thief then dualing to Fighter, you might as well take a MC

[ 11-17-2004, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]