Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2002, 01:04 AM   #191
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Valyssa,

Welcome to the board, first of all. Once you get past this little installation issue, you're sure to find lots of helpful information and advice here.

It sounds to me like you've got a bad CD. If I were you, I'd try the CD out in a couple of other machines -- a computer at work or school, a friend's house, or some other place. Try to do this with a geek friend -- the kind who'll scratch his or her head, then try to figure out what the problem really is.

If the CD works in another computer, then it's probably a problem with your computer. What kind of specs do you have on your machine? What processor speed, how much memory, what speed CD-ROM, and so on. It could be that updated CD drivers may take care of the problem, or it may be that your system isn't ready to run it. It helps to have the geek friend from the previous test available for this one.

Good luck. Post back with more news.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 05:53 PM   #192
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

1)I recently got a replacement HD for one that had bad space on it. I'm reinstalling everything from scratch because of the issues I was experiencing with the old one. How do I transfer my savegame files from the old HD to the new HD? I hooked up both Hard Drives to my system and I dragged and dropped the files from the old HD to the new one(on the desktop), then when I installed W&W, I tried to drag and drop from the desktop to the W&W folder, but they just disappeared. I assume there's a better way to do this.

2)Unrelated to this issue, but input would be nice, since downloading and installing the MS updates for Win98se, my PC won't completely shutdown. It locks up at the "Windows is shutting down" screen. I hear it's a common problem with this OS, HOWEVER, I've tried almost every fix available, starting with the MS "Mapped Drives" fix from their Updates web page in addition to all the other security/problem fixes they had available.

A troubleshooting guide I got said to go to msconfig, advanced settings in the "general tab", and check "disable fast shutdown". However, the dialog box doesn't even have that option listed!

I checked the other possible problems the troubleshooting Guide offered, and the only one left is the BIOS program(Award Modular v4.51pgm) update. I bought this unit just last year, so I'm not sure if there WILL be an update. I'll find out soon. I already contacted them about an update for it.

Until this is solved, I have to shut down by rebooting and shutting down manually while it's booting up. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

3)Finally, since installing Win98se, I have not been able to adjust the pixel ratios in the "settings" for the desktop. They're stuck at 640x480 even with the updated drivers for the vid card. Initially, I only had 16 and 256 colors available, but with the vid. drivers installed, I have the full range I had before- up to 32bit true color.

40GB Maxtor HD(each for both)
PentIII 900MG
Win98se
Voodoo3 3000 Video(with updated drivers)
Soundblaster Live Platinum Audio
DirectX7(considering going up to 8a1- I had no trouble with it in my old HD).

+Dr.Pick

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Dr.Pick ]

Old 03-25-2002, 10:52 AM   #193
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Bump until "sticky posts" are back.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 12:03 AM   #194
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Well, just an update...

I figured out how to transfer my save game files by using "copy and paste", and I went to the maker of my monitor to download drivers which fixed my pixel ratio problem. I don't know why I had to. When I first installed this monitor, Windows automatically recognized and set up the correct drivers. Oh well, it's fixed.

I'm still working on the shutdown problem.

+Dr.Pick
Old 04-13-2002, 10:55 AM   #195
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

bump
Old 04-14-2002, 12:38 PM   #196
Exile
Welcomed New User

I picked up Wizards & Warriors the other day on a bargain sale and installed the game. After creation of the characters and leaving the town into the first area, the game freezed up after a few seconds. This happens whether I walk or do nothing at all. I have downloaded the patch but it does not address this sort of issue, I believe.

My system is:
P4 1.4
128MB RDRAM PC-800
nVidia Geforce MX 32MB 4X AGP Video
Windows ME
ALS4000 3D Surround Sound
Latest version of DirectX (that came with the HOMMIV game)

Does anyone know what could be the problem and is there a possible solution? Thanks.

[ 04-14-2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Exile ]
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 01:45 PM   #197
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Exile:
I picked up Wizards & Warriors the other day on a bargain sale and installed the game. After creation of the characters and leaving the town into the first area, the game freezed up after a few seconds. This happens whether I walk or do nothing at all. I have downloaded the patch but it does not address this sort of issue, I believe.

My system is:
P4 1.4
128MB RDRAM PC-800
nVidia Geforce MX 32MB 4X AGP Video
Windows ME
ALS4000 3D Surround Sound
Latest version of DirectX (that came with the HOMMIV game)

Does anyone know what could be the problem and is there a possible solution? Thanks.
Welcome to the board, Exile!!!

I'm not the techie guru around here - at a glance and based on many other posts with similar problems, your's might be with your version of DirectX. Many players have had difficulty getting W&W correctly with 8. Within this thread there are instructions on how to downgrade to DirectX 7.

Worth a try - if that doesn't help it is easy enough to reinstall the more recent version of DirectX.

Wyv
Old 04-18-2002, 01:43 PM   #198
Farie Mage
Welcomed New User

HI guys, I'm trying the vitualdub fix. Now it says to load the .AVI files into Vitualdub and then save the .AVI files as Old-format but what do you name the files, do you save under the same name or what. If you could help, I'm new to the comp thing and don't have a clue, Thanks guys.
Farie Mage
Farie Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 02:28 PM   #199
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Farie Mage -

Save them by a DIFFERENT name in a DIFFERENT FOLDER. Exit the game and then change the different names to the .avi file names you need and then copy them to the folder where they do belong.

Hope that was clear - if not - check the last page of the BEST TIPS thread. There is a better explanation in there!

Wyv
Old 04-20-2002, 01:22 PM   #200
WillowIX
Apophis

Need some help here... When I try to disarm a chest or cast a spell in the Crypt the game freezes. I then have to return to windows where I get the following errormessage in a popup window:
"The instruction at 0042548d referenced memory at 04411000. The memory could not be read".
Anyone know how to fix this? Here´s what I´m running:
P3 1Ghz
448Mb RAM
12Gb harddrive (6-7 free)
1Gb swap file
Creative geforce 2mx
-"- soundblaster Live!Value
(And then the suspects, lol)
win2k
Directx 8.1

The game works fine in Valeia and in the countryside, at least the spells work there! Plz help!

[ 07-04-2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote