Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2003, 12:54 AM   #1
Malach Cha Movis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi everyone,
Been reading and following your great tips. I finally settled on what i think is a satisfactory party for my third attempt. (i really didn't get very far on my first 2.)

The party consists of:

Vi Lvl 9 Valk with enough pts to go to lvl 10 (bld'g her divty skill to 30)
Kat Lvl 9 Sam with enough pts for lvl 10 (bld'g her wiz skill to 30)
KC Lvl 9 Ranger- enough pts for lvl 10 (bld'g her alc skill to 30)
Melly Lvl 10 Bard 70+ music skill (Piercing pipes, angels's tongue, lute)
Delph Lvl 10 Priest 70+ divinity - 200,000+ to lvl 11
Scotty Lvl 10 Gageteer 100,000+ to lvl 11 (also bard)
Tia Lvl 9 Bishop 8,000 pts to lvl 10 (will become lvl 8 bis, lvl 9 mage)
(Sam and Bishop has 90+ stealth)

Visited Arnika. My babies did all possible quests we think. Went back to Monastery to try wheel key. "Accidently" murdered Burz.
So, now Kat wanted the Ench Wazi. Off to waterfall in mountain wilderness we go. After some prelim fights reached present experience and skill level. Got to waterfall first time after avoiding granite golem. Wasted too much time admiring loot. Trapped by Granite Golem after defeating 3 flint golems. Can't get by.

Tried again. Took rt fork this time. Found Bela. Allied with him. (Was that correct?) Vi justs loves her new Dread Spear. KC can't stop admiring her Eagle Eye Bow. Melly feels sooo strong with her first ROTR. And Scotty is happy with the Tinker's Bracers. I had to mortgage my grandmother to buy them all those goodies.
On to waterfall. Met some Burning Scorchers but luckily they were behind my babies. Escaped them after taking lots of damage. Ran away from Granite golum. Reached waterfall. Grapped loot. Left. Defeated 3 flint golems in crevice. Now trapped there by Granite Golem. Tried to escape about five times. Almost made it once. Then on road back to bridge with GG behind met those blasted burning scorchers. The End.
Tried again from Bela. This time path to waterfall blocked by blasted Burning Scorchers. Not even sure I can get to bridge. Might try exiting to AP (found it behind Bela)and trying again.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I'll even buy the best suggestion a lollypop. Thanks!
No sig as yet.

[ 06-17-2003, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Malach Cha Movis ]
Old 06-17-2003, 06:37 AM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well Malach, if you're just looking to run from the Golem, you could try the Chameleon spell if you have it. This may get you by unnoticed. The other thing you could do is "run" from it during combat. Try to position yourself near a hill which you can run around. You should get enough distance and be out of sight of it so the combat will end. Run like the mad man you are and don't look back! I do this with the Battering Hogar in the Northern Wilderness. I draw him out of his layer and run around the big hill that's there. The combat ends with it on the other side. I clean out it's cave and get out of there. I can always go back a few level later when I can better handle the fight.
I personally don't change classes either. Put the points into making who you have the best they can be instead of pretty good at a bunch of stuff; but that's just me.

P.S. Any flavor of Lolly will be fine!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

You party is a bit loo low for this region. With level 11, you should would have no problem. You could set a portal elsewhere, run behind the Golem, and teleport back out.

Against the Scorchers, cast elemental shield (bishop/mage). With this and magic screen, scorchers won't be a big problem anymore.

My advice is: try to go back to the bridge, and come again when your party is level 11. If you can't make it back, go to ascension peak. I assume the fights there would be too hard (never was there with such a low level party), but maybe you can rest near the entrance, and the monsters in mountain wilderness might change in between.

But i once killed the granite golem with a level 12 pure spellcaster party, so you might be able to do it, too. You need a good missile shiled (you have the spell, don't you?), and good armorplate. Then protect the two front characters with guardian angels, and cast razor cloak on them. Then the golem will kill himself slowly.

If your bishop has armormelt, use it, and your fighters will be able to hit sometimes. Same goes for superman (priest/bishop).
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:55 AM   #4
ZarahNeander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

IMHO going from Arnika directly to MW is a bad idea, esp. with a bard and a gadie. So if you have a save before entering MW, turn back, go to swamp - bluff and pick up all those spiffy instruments and gadets. MW will be much easier then & the wazi won't help you much. Your bard with lute, tongue & pipes is next to useless in MW.

If you're trapped in MW however: the golems aren't that bad. Cast a lvl 7 missile shield (if it fizzles, rest or reload, depending on your personal agenda), this will deflect most if not all of the ranged attacks. Cast guardian angel on your front line fighters (sam & VI) & give everyone some res powders, just in case. Sooner or later VI will hex the golem, making things easier.

Scorchers are quite common in MW and can't be avoided. Cast a Lvl 7 magic screen (if it fizzles, see above). Cast Elemental shield in the first round. Heal as needed. Your bish should cast 'freeze flesh' every round, they have a low water resistance. Then whack away. This is true for the normal 'scorcher', 'blistering scorcher' is another story & bad news for a lvl 9 party. MW is known for a kind of wrap around bug, means, if your party is too low lvl, the engine will generate opponents out of the deep. Same thing in Arnika. So if you're facing 'blistering scorchers', go to AP, bring everyone to lvl 10, rest, go back. In my experince, lvl 10 is the threshold for 'normal' spwans, lvl 9 is asking for trouble, you risk running in stuff like burning heads, lesser demons & blistering scorchers.

Hope this helps.
ZarahNeander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #5
Silpion
Dungeon Master

Is the Granite Golem which you're talking about the lvl 14 golem who is guarding the entrance of the bridge from Northern Wilderness to Mountain Wilderness?

I have beaten it a few days ago with a lvl 9 party. You just need Bloodlust, two doubleshot x-bows and a lucky day. [img]smile.gif[/img]

My party consists of:
Samurai (Bloodlust)
Ranger (2-shot x-bow, hunter quarrels)
Bard (2-shot x-bow, hunter quarrels)
Gadgeteer (Omnigun)
Ninja (Feather Darts)
Bishop (Spells)

The first three did the damage to the golem, the Gadgeteer an Ninja could'nt harm it seriously and the Bishop was busy trying to paralyse it.

I've never thought that I would win this fight but the golem simply missed with most of his attacks and never managed to hit someone twice. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-17-2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Silpion ]
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
MW is known for a kind of wrap around bug, means, if your party is too low lvl, the engine will generate opponents out of the deep. Same thing in Arnika.
As far as i know, the wrap around bug in Arnika only triggers if you have very high skills, but are very low low level. I never heard of it in mountain wildernesse.

I often encountered a group of blistering scorchers in ME with a level 13-14 party. I assume this is an initial placement (like the level 17 Rapax Samurais). But if you just go to Bela, and then leave, they might be replaced with something else.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:26 PM   #7
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Is the Granite Golem which you're talking about the lvl 14 golem who is guarding the entrance of the bridge from Northern Wilderness to Mountain Wilderness?
No, its in ME guarding the waterfall. Much stronger thán the marble golem. Especcially much harder to hit, and i think it has damage resistance too.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:15 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

where is this waterfall that everybody seems to talk about? I swear I didn't bump into a waterfall in my game?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 08:11 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

It's the waterwall with the shalow cave behind it. The cave has Winterwand and a bunch of other goodies, one of the fixed treasure stashes in the game.

Surely you've found that one?

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

JUSTGETINTHEREANDSQUISH'EMANDBASHEM'ANDTEAROUTTHEI REYESANDRIPOUTTHEREGUTSANDTEAROFFTHEIR
HEADSANDRIPOUTTHEIRSPINESANDSHI...AH SORRY, LOST MY HEAD FOR A MINUTE THERE.